Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question of the Day: What is the Most Pointless Automotive Competition?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question of the Day: What is the Most Pointless Automotive Competition?

After that flaming burnout contest video, I got to thinking about all the different automotive type competitions out there. Outside of the normal racing type stuff, there are lots of pointless contests that people participate in with their cars. That is not to say that they are dumb or not enjoyable. They’re just pointless. Take [...]

More...

Why don't these things show up on the main blog and the forum?

I can't argue with Brian's listing of burnouts, hopping, "crank it up" contests . . .

But rapidly moving to the top of my personal lists are:

1. HOT ROD MAGAZINE DRAG WEEK — only 200 piddly slots for nearly 1 million readers. Horrible registration process. No real side-by-side racing for most of the event — just a big time trial. No penalty for horrible reaction times. Several stupid equipment rules that I disagree with but cannot comment on because I’m not one of the "insiders" or a personal pal of DF. New for 2012 — ripping off the spectators with a gate fee. "Insiders" are becoming too insular and elitist ("it’s a family") . . . .

2. PHR’s Engine Masters — The rules are still written to protect the antique pushrod engines from DOHC four-valvers and forced induction powerplants. And a detonating dyno "glory pull" predicts little about how an engine will perform on the road or track.

3. Goodguys Autocross — the rules and classes are a joke compared to regular autocross events. And Goodguys still shafts anyone with a late-model vehicle until Sunday.

4. Optima Ultimate Street Car — Another "invitation only" event for mega-buck "pro touring" cars that’s too exclusive and mostly irrelevant to "real world" hot rodding.

5. Car Craft's Real Street Eliminator — No drag racing anymore. Field of competitiors is way too small. Not enough classes. Held nearly in Canada. Poor organization and promotion . . . there’s not much "real" about it anymore.

6. NASCAR — there's nothing stock about a stock car anymore. Take off the stickers and who can tell'em apart. Nothing they race is available in any similar form in any showroom anywhere. Too many cookie cutter drivers and 1.5 mile tracks. Too many "Toyotas."

7. NHRA PRO STOCK — Carbon fiber "melted car" bodies, $10,000 clutchless transmissions and non-stock mountain motors have nothing to do with the real world.

8. NHRA FUNNY CAR — Absolutely hideous "aero" bodies. Ridiculous budgets. Technology that’s completely removed from anything at the grassroots.

9. Outlaw Sprint Car racing — Just try showing up with a production-based DOHC/OHC engine from this century . . . .

10. INDY CAR RACING — Horrible TV package. Too few cars at non-Indy 500 events. Little qualifing drama anymore for the 500. V6s suck. Chassis and engine rules are more to protect the deep-pocket dynasties than for good competition. $400,000 for a single chassis? That’s ridiculous.

11. 24 Hours of LeMons — stupid theme cars. Crushing cars at random. $500 rule is likely honored in the breach. Idiotic penalties (i.e. welding iron to your race car).

Yeah, I forgot monster truck racing. Totally idiotic.
    Last edited by 38P; May 4, 2012, 08:34 AM. Reason: Punctuation ate my post on pasting from the blog

Comment

speedy, chill out man. you're making a fool out of yourself.
      www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek View Post

you say that like it's a new thing
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

That horse left the barn on my second or third post at BS . . . . And the die was cast in titanium when I took on Johnny Hunkins over the Mopar issue, and Dulcich over Engine Masters.

Besides, I have it on Spidey's authority that anyone who would buy a DOHC Ford (or any Ford) over the "brilliant" "LESS" V8 is categorically a "Fool."

You don't think I raised ANY good points?

Comment

Originally posted by Speedzzter.blogspot View Post
            That horse left the barn on my second or third post at BS . . . . And the die was cast in titanium when I took on Johnny Hunkins over the Mopar issue, and Dulcich over Engine Masters.

Besides, I have it on Spidey's authority that anyone who would buy a DOHC Ford (or any Ford) over the "brilliant" "LESS" V8 is categorically a "Fool."

I'm not pro Ford or Chevy (but you act weirder than a Mopar fanatic) so I have no dog in this hunt.

However, bagging on two of the most popular grassroots event as your top "gripes" tells us that this is a personal problem for you. Engine Masters Challenge bugs you that much? then don't f*cking read about it. Some of us really love that event and appreciate the guys who put it on. If you actually competed, you wouldn't complain, and you'd also then realize that some of your complaints (bitching about no 4-valve per cylinder engines) is not Anti-Ford but PRACTICALITY because of the challenge of getting all your favorite obtuse engines fitted on the DTS dyno cart... you come across as a dick because you haven't attended one event to see what it's about. So you bag on Hunkins? I think you should put on your OWN event like Drag Week and Engine Masters and see if people show up. Then you'd learn how hard it is to please all the people all the time - and how obnoxious it is when some armchair quarterback who's never going to bring his lame ass to one of these events decides to use this internet forum as his personal Stump.

If you're going to be so negative, why even be here? personally, I wish you'd see the error of your ways and stick around because when you're not being a crybaby, your posts tend to be insightful and good reading.
            Last edited by dieselgeek; May 4, 2012, 11:10 AM.
            www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Originally posted by Speedzzter.blogspot View Post
              If you did, we can't see them for the whining....
              My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I guess Legendary BangShifter Squirrel nailed it. Speedy is irrelevant.

DG, considering that I missed registration for 2012 DW*, I guess I could run my own "event" . . . I could just "race" my worthless "store bought" car up and down my street like that dude in the Malibu wagon wheelstanding video, until the cops haul me away . . . . After all, I've now got a worthless week of vacation in mid-September to do something with . . . .

Comment

Next time leave out the whining, just make your points.

btw I didn't get signed up for DW either, but I'm not whining about it, it's my own damn fault for not doing it on time.
                  My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Since I'm a sucker for the under dog, good night Scott your starting to sound like a first class jerk. If someone doesn't have your opinion on something , they are wrong and you start with the name calling. Brain asked for opinions. Speedy has points for each one. Some even valid. It's not like he's saying these events shouldn't exist. I will skip all his opinions except the one that's near and dear to you. Engine Masters. For an engine builder or a tuner this is probably a blast. But to a lot of people its like showing up to a race with out the rest of the car. To each their own.
                    Last edited by Dan Barlow; May 9, 2012, 11:08 AM.
                    Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

The dumbest, most pointless feat of stupidity is the burnout contest.
                      Anyone who burns the tires off their car until the blown tires rip off the 1/4 panels is a pretty stupid person.

Comment

I have to agree with Speedy on the EMC, Racing Dynos is lame......... If it was really a sport NHRA would have a class for it.......

Comment

Racing on a dyno is a lot better than racing a keyboard, which is the most you will ever see from TC or speedzter.cryspot

Comment

Racing on a dyno is a lot better than racing a keyboard, which is the most you will ever see from TC or speedzter.cryspot
                            Let's see I've taken the white Camaro in my sig to the track..........What car of yours has been to the track lately??...........

For some reason you guys think the only car I have is my '71 Camaro.......... Just put it this way my '99 Camaro is far from stock and about to gain a bit more HP...........

And speaking of Keyboard Racer, isn't that what you do, since Tuning requires a Keyboard.......... I mean we all know your not building the motors...........

Comment

Because a cold air intake and a NOS sticker are legit upgrades to. Lol

Comment

Working...
                              X