Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motorized Freak of the Week: The Comfortractor

Re: Motorized Freak of the Week: The Comfortractor

My Rev. War era hero, Ben Franklin, said, "Aim for more than you can do, then fail gloriously". This is a glorious failure. That's what makes history interesting. Thanks for the article.

Dan

Comment

great article.

I thought some enterprising tractor owners would put cabs from their pickup trucks/farm trucks as protection against the elements - perhaps that's where the manufacturer goes the idea?
      I think it's just before its time - nowadays, the tractor is more comfortable then the truck they drive..... about the same cost difference as well - 50k for a nice truck; 100k for a tractor.
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by Stoneshrink
        50k for a nice truck; 100k for a tractor.

A couple of years ago a lady got stuck in the snow close by my parents place. As the neighboring farmer was hooking a chain onto her car to pull her out, she was like, "be careful, my BMW cost $80k!" The farmer told her, "So? My tractor cost $165k!"
        The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

It's a masssive six cylinder but only a 1750rpm redline on a gas engine? Ouch. Neat idea, just a few tweaks and it some marketing and it probably would have taken off.
          Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

That and a massive price cut.
            Lots of farmers were just starting to pull out of the Great Depression nastiness in '38.

I've seen one of these in person and it's actually bigger than it looks. It's a 60 year head start on the Blastolene brothers stuff!

Brian
            That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Rode in one of these once. I think I know why they didn't take off, getting out of the back door is the same as exiting a phone booth with two people in it.
              Jeremy George in Windsor NY

Comment

I have always dug these....I have seen a couple at Antique Power shows in OH.

It is funny.....My grandfather has been farming for 60 years and epitomizes the farmer image....One day we went to pick up a new tractor from the JD dealer.....He wrote a check for $185,000 dollars to pay for it. :o I almost choked on my tongue....

As we drove the new tractor 8 miles back to the farm I asked him how much his tractors were worth......He thought for a moment and casually said 1-2 Million.....He worked for every dollar. I am very proud of him and hope I can get close to the work ethic he has....

Seth
                200 mph or bust.......

Comment

Farmers of all types are interesting people. The few I have been able to interact with left me impressed with a very common sense approach to life, running a business, and respecting the Earth.

There's a reason all the founding fathers had farms!

Brian
                  That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Brian...

I hope you get a chance to come this way some time and we will take a trip to my grandpas.....You would be in heaven.

Seth
                    200 mph or bust.......

Comment

Needs a Hemi ......or two !!

Comment

Originally posted by chryco
                        Needs a Hemi ......or two !!
                        Nah...putting Hewmi in that thing would actually decrease it's value!

Comment

I wish I had the grille & hood for that thing. What an addition to my dream rat rod!

Comment

it would make a cool looking super stock pulling tractor
                            Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

I always thought they were neat. My uncle's newest tractor is like a modern comfatractor, I guess most new tractors are. It has heat, A/C, a radio, horn, the works. It even has a windshield washer and those little hooks to hang a clothes hanger on. It's a hell of a lot easier to get in and out of than that one. I wanted to take it to my highschool prom, it does 35 so it wouldn't have taken that much longer. I took my Charger instead, but that tractor would have been a more comfortable ride home, it had heat. My other uncle's newer but slightly smaller McCormick even has a passenger seat. I always thought it would be neat to use one for a daily driver.

Comment

Working...
                              X