Ebay Second Chance Scam.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ebay Second Chance Scam.

So I lowballed a bid on a 1969 Firebird Convertible at $2500, the auction closed just under $8,000 and the reserve not met. I get a "Second Chance" E-mail this morning with the message "Maybe we can work something out". Now I've gotten these messages before, heck I've actually bought stuff before as a second chance, but this one was really really strange. For one, my low ball price and the dozen or so bids over mine was a redflag, so looking further into it, the E-mail I got wasn't from Ebay! :o HA! I verified it by going into my E-bay account and checking for the message there, and of course it wasn't.

I responded by telling him I know it's a scam and I'm forwarding the e-mail to E-bay (which apparently I'll have to do when I get home because the firewall at work is blocking that portion of E-bay).

I thought I'd share to give you guys heads up of things like that. I'm not even sure it's the seller doing the scamming as he has posted a phone number on the ad, but he does only have two transactions to his name that are old..... Hard to say.

Escaped on a technicality.

Re: Ebay Second Chance Scam.

Very nice lookin' Bird ... 400ci, TH400, 12-bolt Posi w/3.42 gears !!

Comment

You are so right on this being a scam..... I agree on reporting him too!

Ed & Jane Tampa, FL
      1966 Plymouth Fury III
      2014 Dodge Ram 1500
      Long Hauler - 2009,2010,2012,2013,2014
      Cocoa Beach & Valdosta - 2011

Comment

Good job Randal!....you may want to contact the seller as well if it is not him doing it. I know if it was me listing the car and some low life was using it that way, I'd want to know....
        Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

I had a similar deal when I bought the Dakota - but Ebay contacted me! They said that the link had been contaminated and to dump any "second chance" offers I got. They also said that I was free to contact the seller directly, which I did (I had his phone number from the ad). Turns out they had contacted the seller, apologized, and released him from any obligation to pay them as they had been unable to keep his transaction "clean". I though that was pretty decent of Ebay.

So I drove to Florida and brought back a nice little PU that I've loved ever since. Gotta install those mew shocks, though - they don't work in their boxes.

Dan

Comment

Someone tried to get me like that. It was a '70 challenger r/t with a 440 sixpack. I clicked on the buy it now for something low, but didn't think I got it in time. The next day I got an email about buying it, and I happened to check ebay again and found the exact same challenger for about $30,000 more, exact same pictures, that was the red flag for me. My buddy tried buying a G.T. 350 and wound up getting a bunch a emails about it, but it seemed fishy, and it was. I don't remember how he figured it out, but he called the guy out on it and the guy admitted it was a scam.

Comment

I wish ebay would go back to identifying bidders by their name - I've had a couple bids where I bid a reasonable amount then did the auto bid to a higher amount..... the bidding would go back and forth between my autobid and the other bids... then "surprise" that winning bidder (who bid once more then me) would "back out" and I'd get a "second chance".
              A word to all immoral sellers who pull this crap (running up the bid to find the highest auto bid) - I'll tell you the same thing I told him "go to hell". The last time, a 12 bolt 3.42 geared rear for my car, (I would have paid the 650 or so if the bidding didn't go down like that ) however, my response to him was well repaid because I found a 12 bolt 3.73 gear a week later for 100.00 on CL.... total invested in that rear with the new axles, locker is 450 ;D
              Interesting side note.... because of where he was located, I have a good friend who lives nearby and through him i've heard the guy still has the rear end ;D

Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by Buickguy
                I've had a couple bids where I bid a reasonable amount then did the auto bid to a higher amount..... the bidding would go back and forth between my autobid and the other bids... then "surprise" that winning bidder (who bid once more then me) would "back out" and I'd get a "second chance".
                A word to all immoral sellers who pull this crap (running up the bid to find the highest auto bid) - I'll tell you the same thing I told him "go to hell".
                Good explaination of how the scam works Buickguy.
                I also wish ebay would go back to identifying bidders by their username.

Comment

I had a woman on CL trying to scam me she was selling a tahoe but instead of sending her money she wanted to go through ebay she said ebay would get in touch with me
                  The next day a ebay massage was in my email they was wanting me to send the money to a bank over seas [red flag]
                  so lodged in to ebay and found out it really was a scam
                  I sent her a email saying i would fly up there and look at the truck and if i like it i would pay her and drive it back that would save her the trouble of shipping
                  She emailed me and said that i must not been really interested in it than
                  so i did send all the stuff to ebay so maybe they will get her
                  I HATE A THIEF

Comment

I'm working on reporting it now. It doesn't seem to fit any of their "Report This" criteria, so I'm waiting for the live help.

Comment

thats what i did and they walked me through it

Comment

Done.

Thanks for that information, I can tell you now with certainty that this not an eBay
                        transaction, to be honest with you, we have reported scams like this from members who
                        were also given the same information as the one you just mentioned. Please do not
                        proceed with the deal.

Comment

I had a similar second chance deal on ebay and ended up reporting it. The Safe Harbor Investigation Team sent me a response. I'm not sure if the acronym was intentional or not...

Comment

Originally posted by White Monster
                            Originally posted by Buickguy
                            I've had a couple bids where I bid a reasonable amount then did the auto bid to a higher amount..... the bidding would go back and forth between my autobid and the other bids... then "surprise" that winning bidder (who bid once more then me) would "back out" and I'd get a "second chance".
                            A word to all immoral sellers who pull this crap (running up the bid to find the highest auto bid) - I'll tell you the same thing I told him "go to hell".
                            Good explaination of how the scam works Buickguy.
                            I also wish ebay would go back to identifying bidders by their username.
                            I also wish Ebay would go back to identifying the bidders with their user names. I don't use the Auto bid feature just for that reason, I get a figure in mind that I'll pay, I have a couple of windows open and the bid ready to click on and I pull the trigger in the last 20 - 25 seconds that way they don't have time to figure out what your high bid was, sometimes I win, some times I lose! I've had several Scams (with vehicles) tried on me and one guy in Florida is still serving time over a computer generated Bank Check, just remember this, "if it's too good to be true, it isn't" and that will save you most everytime.

Comment

Like a super clean '69 Firebird Convertible for $2500? :P

Comment

Working...
                              X