Car rescues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car rescues

Anyone beside me have to drive hundreds of miles to rescue a DOA car?

When I was in college, I had a 74 Vega wagon (it was appropriately named the great pumpkin as it was an orange station wagon) - just before school started (some 220 miles away) I traveled to the school to do some paperwork. Car ran awesome, tail-wind in the Columbia River gorge and I drove 80mph or faster all the way there. Got to the school, did what I needed to do, then was going to drive to my aunts house a couple blocks away. Started the car up, and a death rattle occurred.... drove the couple blocks, draining the necessary fluids out of the window of the block... seized up solid after that. So now I and a friend are stuck 220 miles away with no car. I did what all good college students do when confronted with unsurmountable problems - I called dad. He drove, and picked up me.... we get home, and over the course of 2 weeks get and assemble a new 4 cyl. motor for the car. Never fire it, then drive up to rescue the car out of my aunt's driveway. We install the motor, fire it up, it's death rattling!!! oh good grief. For the life of me I have no idea what was rattling.... anyway, so we have a decision to make - leave the car there (aunt making noises about wrecking yards, depreciation of her house, and something about pumpkins) as I know I need to do laundry at her house for the year, we decide to drive as far as the car would go; then tow strap it the rest of the way home. It made it the entire distance, then was parked. Never did figure out the problem - a year or so later it was submerged in a flood and the envirofolks came and towed it away (I have another name for them - but not relevant to here)....

Anyone else have good story (or plausible yarn) like this?
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Coming home from the Anti-Tour last year when I popped two head gaskets in Phoenix and drove it to Las Vegas where it mysteriously quit on me. I happen to run into a guy from work at the truck stop I managed to get to 12 miles north of Vegas, and he volunteers to drive home (220 miles), get a vehicle and car trailer, then drive back to me, get the car on the trailer and drive back home. That was an additional 440+ miles he did not have to drive for a guy he barely knows. I spent 28 hours at the truckstop because I did not want him to make that extra 440 miles, but after 20 hours of trouble shooting and four hours of sleep I threw in the towel and called him to take him up on his offer. I had a hard time convincing him to let me give him gas money.
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

I once flat towed my girfriend's (now wife) Honda CRX 80 miles home after the water pump seized and took it out the timing belt.
      Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
      1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
      1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
      1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
      1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
      1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

Nope. I think the longest one was 20 miles? and that was 30 years ago. I guess I've been lucky. I've put a lot of miles on old cars.
        My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I drove from Anchorage to Whitehorse Canada (Yukon), about 1410 miles round trip to rescue a 78 Dautsun. One of my new airmen decided to drive the car up from LA. It blew a head gasket in Whitehorse. The folks in my Squadron gave me the days off and I borrowed a trailer from the commander. Me and the kid drove about 4 days, camped out and he caught the bill for everything. It was fun, we saw a lot of amazing things. The wrecking yard that held his car for 4 months did not charge him a dime for holdin it either.
          If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

about the mid 90s I was on my way home from work when the timing belt on my 74 mustang II 2.3 broke. I actually had a new belt in the trunk for an upcoming cam change. I called my dad who was about 30 minutes away and he loaded the tools and met me and we changed the belt on the side of the road in about 45 minutes.
            It's a Tri-Power Inline six [email protected] in the 1/8th

Comment

Restored a '65 Impala.

Sold it. Guy picked it up, was driving it back to CO from AZ. He gets 10 min from NM, dead battery.

My dead alternator, my problem. No problem. Its 5pm

Hop in the truck with the wiring toolbox, drive 3.5 hrs, fix the wiring, jumpstart the car, he says THANKS! I'M GOOD TO GO! DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT, ANYTHING ELSE POPS UP DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT!" Now its 8:30pm.

I drive home.

1:00 AM. He calls from the ER.

A PT Cruiser doing 110 rear ended him.

Last edited by Caveman Tony; May 9, 2011, 04:57 PM.
              Yes, I'm a CarJunkie... How many times would YOU rebuild the same engine before getting a crate motor?

Comment

Originally posted by 64falconsix View Post
                about the mid 90s I was on my way home from work when the timing belt on my 74 mustang II 2.3 broke. I actually had a new belt in the trunk for an upcoming cam change. I called my dad who was about 30 minutes away and he loaded the tools and met me and we changed the belt on the side of the road in about 45 minutes.
                I have done that before. A strange error lingered for several years. even a radio tower attacked my car.. got hit by lightning..
                problem?
                The resistor spring in the choke was hitting the side of the choke cover.. for some odd reason, the wire feeding it is the most lively in the whole car at 16v... like it magnifies itself up at the top of the carb by the time it flies to the pipes.
                this problem blew exhuast studs, timing belts, possibly the root of a headgasket fail, 4 plug holes, water pump, the fins in the radiator, plug wires, possibly a fuel pump..
                a super conductor.

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                Nope. I think the longest one was 20 miles? and that was 30 years ago. I guess I've been lucky. I've put a lot of miles on old cars.
                that is about as far away as I was too.
                I did blow an engine in a chevelle, about a hundred or so miles from home.... I don't want to say how I never got it back. it is a sickening story.

the choke error just got fixed today... 24 years of elsuvie tortire for owners. looks like it was never connected through manufacturing.. teasing a real connect for a freakish long time. See how it goes from here...
                Last edited by Barry Donovan; May 9, 2011, 06:17 PM.
                Previously boxer3main
                the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

I guess this might qualify.......when I got out of the service in late '69....my wife and I
                  tried to drive our '65 Corvair from Davisville, RI to just South of St. Louis, MO.

On the way I replaced:
                  alternator
                  alternator belt
                  voltage regualtor
                  new battery
                  all in three different stops.

We got just outside Terre Haute, IN and as stone said.....heard 'the death rattle'
                  Pretty sure it was a valve.

Had it towed to local gas station.
                  Told the wife to call her dad to come get us.......he's about 4 hours away.
                  When she's talking to him on the phone he asks to talk with me......says
                  'what about the Corvair'
                  I say....'just come get us, I'll have it sold time you get here'

I did.......sold it for $150 in 2 hours

I was supposed to take the title to the bank when we
                  got back because I had a loan on it.

I drive by that same spot in the road every time I go to Indy.
                  Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

One Sunday afternoon me and two friends went to retrieve a '67 Mustang parts car with a '68 ford F250 and a trailer. Picked up the car and on the way back the truck quit running. After some poking around discovered the fuel pump died, the friend who owned the truck started digging behind the seat and, Ta Da! pulled out a spare fuel pump. 20 minutes later we were back on the road.
                    Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

Ah, I was hoping you were going to say you pulled the fuel pump off the '67 mustang =P
                      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Working...
                      X