Black Friday, a rant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Friday, a rant

Dear Target, Walmart, Bestbuy, Kohls, Lowes and any other national retailer who spits on family holidays.

You've chosen to open your doors before 7 am Friday so that your employees cannot enjoy a national holiday with their families. You've chosen your profit over your workers. So here's my choice, I will not spend so much as one penny at your stores for the next year.

Have a happy holiday.
    Yours, a customer with a choice
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Hmmmmmmm..... that stance has been on the news. The media found a Target employee who got on-camera complaining about having to work Thanksgiving night, lots of hours. That was either brave or dumb on his part, I don't know which. I wonder if he still has a job for doing that. It's a valid point, but a quandry all the same. Paying job. Time with family. A quandry.
    Last edited by pdub; November 23, 2011, 01:36 PM.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

I refuse to shop on Black Friday anyhow. If they can sell their junk for those prices on Black Friday they can sell it for those prices year round - you KNOW they're not losing money whenever they sell an item. So to Hell with them.

Dan

Comment

Im with you guys, F-em !

Comment

I'm with Dan.

The shoe fits the other foot as well.......what kind of person would rather go out "bargain" shopping than spend time at home with family? If the customers weren't there in droves, they would close the doors on holidays.
          Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Back when Unit's Mom and Dad were alive, we'd always do Thanksgiving in Pittsburgh. We'd always leave on Friday morning to go back to South Carolna or Tennessee. The best way out of their neighborhood was to go through the mall parking lot. Every year, I was shocked and amazed, like I forgot all that would be going on, so many people at the mall at 6 a.m. I mean packed. Gridlock.

What thu...well, whatever blows folks' skirts up. Whatever. I guess everybody's got a different drug, whatever that is.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
              Dear Target, Walmart, Bestbuy, Kohls, Lowes and any other national retailer who spits on family holidays.

You've chosen to open your doors before 7 am Friday so that your employees cannot enjoy a national holiday with their families. You've chosen your profit over your workers. So here's my choice, I will not spend so much as one penny at your stores for the next year.

Have a happy holiday.
              Yours, a customer with a choice
              I assume this somehow effects you personally? Or not. Just wondering. K-mart has been advertising that they will be open ON Thankgiving in the States that allow it.

I have never shopped the day after Thanksgiving, that I can recall. I don't like all the hoopla.

Did you actually contact these stores you ranted about, because I doubt they read bangshift general discussion threads

Comment

sue - I'm an employment law attorney, so yes, it does. I think that commerce is getting in the way of what's really important, and while I couldn't care less whether or not those stores read my rant; I do expect that those who won't be fired (read those with the day off) can help out those who will be fired for complaining.

And - I agree with the note above, that if you take the profit motive away from those stores; then guess what? they'll comply with what the customer wants.

and Happy Birthday, you don't look a day over 18.... PW, you cradle robber!
                Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

We work friday , have been for 18 years , friday off is a thing of the past

Comment

It's been my experience that you spend 10x the money shopping on black friday, just because "it was a good deal".
                    Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
                    1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
                    1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
                    1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
                    1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
                    1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

PW, you cradle robber!
                      We booked a ticket on the Titanic, but we got busy drinking in the bar and missed the departure. We took the next boat out, via Australia...man, those Aussies really know how to party!

Comment

sue - I'm an employment law attorney, so yes, it does. I think that commerce is getting in the way of what's really important, and while I couldn't care less whether or not those stores read my rant; I do expect that those who won't be fired (read those with the day off) can help out those who will be fired for complaining.

And - I agree with the note above, that if you take the profit motive away from those stores; then guess what? they'll comply with what the customer wants.

and Happy Birthday, you don't look a day over 18.... PW, you cradle robber!
                        Why Thank you, I am not a day over 18 if you use dog years!
                        Now, I agree that things are going to hell as far as holidays being commercialized. Started with Christmas.
                        Having worked all my working years in health care, there was no such thing as regular holidays off. Some one had to work to take care of the folks in the hospital. We tried to be fair and rotate it amongst folks. All I am saying is, in my experience, no day was sacred from work. That was the field I chose, and that was one of the cons, along with shift work and what not. Glad I am "retired" now.
                        Last edited by sueunit; November 23, 2011, 03:07 PM.

Comment

Last year on Turkey day my water pipes froze and I needed a small space heater. At 0300 I went to walmart since they are always open. I never go anywhere with crowds, and I sure as hell dont go shopping the day after either. Just too many people around and I cant deal with it. The store was packed with people camping in the store with their kids at 0300. All I needed was a heater, and I had to fight through 40 people camped in that particular aisle to get one. Needless to say I was getting incredibly irritable and ready to head over to sporting goods, pull out a rifle and start blasting. If they want to be out during that crap, its up to them, just get the hell out of my way when I need something to keep my house from flooding.

As for holidays, when I was in the USAF I worked almost every one of them, and sometimes got a day off later that month. It got to where its just another day to me, but I still dont like to be alone for them. I spent most holidays in my ten years on active duty away from family and most friends, so I would rather not spend them alone now.

Comment

Screw Black Friday........damn idiots showing up early and getting there
                            asses trampled to death for a cheap flat screen TV.

I remember back in the day when no one was open on Sundays because
                            of the 'Blue Laws'.
                            Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Originally posted by Monk View Post
                              Screw Black Friday........damn idiots showing up early and getting there
                              asses trampled to death for a cheap flat screen TV.

I remember back in the day when no one was open on Sundays because
                              of the 'Blue Laws'.
                              I can remember that as a kid.Couldnt get anything on Sunday.We had a buisness in a mall that wasnt opened entirely on Sunday-Imagine that.

Comment

Working...
                              X