Fired it up - D100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fired it up - D100

Been working away as time allowed on the D100, and finally fired it tonight. It was just as much fun as ever to hear that thing come to life. I had a couple of problems when I first attempted to start it.

The truck originally had a points distributor and I wanted electronic, but I didn't have an extra Mopar ignition box plug or harness, so I stuck in a Mopar distributor converted with an HEI module. Figured it would be good, and easier to wire with 12v no ballast. I even wired it on the bench and tested it with two old Accel coils and a Davis coil and spun the dist to see which gave the hottest spark. Went with one of the Accels. Put it all in the truck and no spark. Wiring tested good, so I pulled the dist and changed the magnetic pick-up and reluctor from another Mopar dist, and still no spark.

I had an MSD E-Curve dist for a SB Mopar, and decided why not? Set the pots inside for the advance curve I wanted and set the rev limiter to 7500; it was super easy to wire in. Since it had an HEI cap I had to use different wires, but I had a set off a DUI. Fired right up and sounded stout with the open headers. I had to free rev it a few times just to hear the secondaries on the big 850 TQ kick in, and it pulled clean. Idle was nice and steady too. I kind of rough timed it by ear, and the carb still has its bench settings from the rebuild.

Heater control valve leaks, so I need to fix that, and it is open headers as I still need to build the exhaust. I have the instrument panel pulled to fix the dash lights, so no gauges, and I didn't want to run it long with no indication of oil pressure, but I'm pretty sure its probably OK. Need to charge the A/C and I'm going to build a single snorkle ram air to the front apron. As long as I've been doing this stuff it is still exciting and fun to hear a fresh engine fire for the first time!
    -dulcich

Nice sounds. Both nervous and excited when I hit the key for the first time. Though I never doubted you'd have any trouble with that little engine. You could build an LA engine in your sleep.
    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Well, there are always the little (potentially big) things you worry about. On this one, the things I worry about are the Comp conversion studs for Chevy rockers - only a 5/16 root on the stud. I hope they don't break given the stud and ball Chevy rockers. I'm completely confident in the stock pedistal mount rockers with the 5/16 fastener, but went with the Chevy stuff cause I had it. Another thing is the huge, giant, monsterous hole in one of the cylinders and the sleeve. Joe posted a pic of it in. Hope that holds. One of the pistons didn't feel quite, exactly, 100% right when I cold pressed it on the rod, bit it seemed to rotate fine, thought they are hypereutectic pistons so it makes me nervous - I've seen lots of those blow up. If the piston was forged, I would be completely confident.

Basically, this engine is a veteran old test piece that is pretty much the worst piece of junk I've got, but oddly I didn't want to 'waste' a good engine in this truck, and wanted to keep the displacement down for efficiency and mileage. I've got a several bigger engines rotting on stands, but they seemed exessive for what I wanted out of this pickup. On the other hand, if it doesn't blow up, this 324 will just scream, and will be a ton of fun. I expect it to turn low to mid 13's at over 100mph when done, so it should slaughter a lot of late model trucks.

Comment

I love that feeling. Maybe I should finish something, it always makes me want to do more. I really do not like pressing pistons on or off. How can you tell if you hurt something other than measuring them?

Going with boy racer cherry bomb header mufflers? That should get the new truck guys going.
        Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Nothing like the thrill you get firing an engine for the first time ..... I still get all twitterpated over it. I love the smell of the engine enamel baking, and that first trip around the block?....OH YEA!
          Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Looking great - great progress -- ah the joy of working on a small block in that HUGE engine compartment!
            There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Think of how sad it would be if, like most of the population, you never got to have the experience of first starting a new motor. I think people have a NEED to have those kinds of experiences. Every time I sit at our dining room table (which I built) I have feeling of accomplishment. When I drive the 'Stang somewhere I KNOW exactly where every nut and bolt goes, what they do, and that I put 'em there. So many folks sit at a desk all day to earn a living and never get to make something with their own hands - don't even know it's possible.

So ROCK ON, Steve - and good for you.

Dan

Comment

Can't ya just feel a D100 vs. BTJ face off brewing in the air?!?!? Man I can.
                Last edited by BBR; May 16, 2012, 06:09 AM.
                Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
                1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
                1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
                1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
                1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
                1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

Originally posted by BBR View Post
                  Can't ya just feel a D100 vs. BTJ face off brewing in the air?!?!? Man I can.
                  I'd pay to watch that!
                  sigpic

Just an Old Drag Racer that still has dreams of going fast!

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpy View Post
                    I'd pay to watch that!
                    Well, that's not a really good match-up in my mind, since the vehicles are so dissimilar - farm truck vs cop car.

Actually, when Braub first started posting about BTJ, I was stirring the pot some in an underhanded way (imagine that!) trying to lure him into a competition with the Fifth. While not a cop car, it is a similar 80's four door, and I have a complete police suspension under it. It has fallen into disrepair, since once the tranny blew I started to believe it wasn't worth messing with due to having to smog the grossly illegal engine every two years. I actually stripped parts out of it for the D100, but such a challenge is a great excuse to rescue the Fifth.

Comment

Buford T. Justice vs. Pleading the Fifth

Nice.

Doooooo eeeeeeet.
                      Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
                      1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
                      1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
                      1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
                      1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
                      1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

They have something else in common right now - fragged trannies
                        Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Getting the Fifth legal is easy.

Move the hell out of Cali.
                          Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

Originally posted by Remy-Z View Post
                            Getting the Fifth legal is easy.

Move the hell out of Cali.
                            x2 lol

either that or buy into the airstrip/dragstrip/condos in New Mexico. Leave the legal stuff in CA, and everything is legal in NM so it's a win, win
                            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Getting excited about firing an engine up for the first time is something I still do - and I fire up something new every weekend it seems.

There is just something awesome about achieving that milestone in a project, knowing that you are conducting a mechanical symphony and it's all working as you intended.... what a kickass feeling! I don't care if it's a 65hp engine or a 2400hp engine - the feeling is the same.

Good work Dulcich, keep posting your progress!
                              www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Working...
                              X