$1500-$2000 short term DD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $1500-$2000 short term DD?

Well I'm coming to the collective gearhead mind for some results.

I have a short term need to find a DD cheap. With my lingering injury it doesn't look like I'll get the Red Furd done anytime soon. TLD needs to keep Big Red down on the farm, and my son needs the Ranger to keep his job and continue to complete his schooling. So I need something cheap, that gets good gas mileage, has cold AC, and preferably a manual, oh and did I say that it needs to be cheap.

Surfing the local craigslist I see plenty of cheap Hondi (is that plural for Honda?).Or

I've also ran across some decent 2.3L Mustangs, and I have plenty of experience and parts for them. Or

I've wanted to go land speed racing and the coefficient of drag on a Ford Probe is excellent, maybe I use it for DD duties and then cut it up (backhalf and get the engine driving the correct set of wheels ) and rebuild it for F/BFCC and hit Speedweek. Or

What other suggestions might you wise ones have?

Bob
    I'm still learning

you with the 2.3
    V8 it !!!!

Comment

this price range and subject..its like 30 years the same.

I still look, even when I am not looking.

recently found a couple of jeeps. one cherokee two door, the other a yj.
      5 speeds.

both carbed, ready to play with the last of high twenties on the bigger engine. Big enough if you want gas mileages, put even bigger tires on.

I am martyred against engines sideways and any inline four...me looking for a beater DD would literally land me in a tin can 1980s subaru.

mid 30s mpg for real. They REALLY exist. Not even a theory to apply to it. Just drive tha damn thing. Amazing.
      Previously boxer3main
      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan View Post
        you with the 2.3
        V8 it !!!!
        LOL, I drive about 35k a year. The difference in the total cost of fuel for the year will pay for the car. Looking for a DD, not a toy.
        I'm still learning

Comment

Question:
          How long would it take to finish the turd? IDK, but perhaps $1,500 given to someone to finish your car and you have what you want... honestly.

Or better yet.... I wonder if our S.Cal BS'rs might know of a mechanic or two who could finish up the 'turd? seriously, if no one else, I have a friend in central coastal who could use to work and does a good job.

oh yeah
          And if you find a 64 or 65 long roof Buick wagon, drive it and I'll buy it from you when you're done (this is subject to some conditions as you might expect)
          Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; June 8, 2012, 06:22 PM.
          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

SBG, TLD just asked me the same thing...did she give you a call?

I live near Sacramento. But, I need to spend more than $1,500 to get the rest of the parts for the Furd and pay the back fees.

How about a '67 Riv? Nah, its TLD's Daddy's car, that wouldn't go over well.
            I'm still learning

Comment

I know it's geographically undesirable but I have Mom's car for sale. It's an auto but otherwise is a GREAT DD. "87 Chevy Celebrity 4 door w/COLD air. Rust free and ONLY $2K.

Dan
              Attached Files

Comment

honda civic with a d series and 5spd

/end thread.
                formerly 1988montecarloss, 3198 posts
                http://bangshift.com/forum/member.ph...88montecarloss

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Holmes View Post
                  SBG, TLD just asked me the same thing...did she give you a call?

I live near Sacramento. But, I need to spend more than $1,500 to get the rest of the parts for the Furd and pay the back fees.

How about a '67 Riv? Nah, its TLD's Daddy's car, that wouldn't go over well.
                  you can have cheap or reliable.... which do you want? and why pour money into something you don't want? and no, I'm not on TLD's short list of arm twisters
                  Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I have a close friend in Sacramento who can help out whether you want to finish your car, or find a DD.
                    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

So your criteria is cheap, a/c, and good mileage. I would hate to see you in a honduh. Ever thought about a crown Vic? After some horse trading I have $65 in my 99. That's what a tire and two cherry bombs cost me. There every where, cheap and until the 2.3 is on the road will hold its value. Mileage is decent.
                      A ranger is another good option. It's a truck so it's a win all the way around.
                      Good luck.
                      Jeff
                      Follow My Build

Comment

I hate to say it Bob, but have you seen the prices on used 3 series bimmers? I saw a 2002 the other day that needed paint but it sold for 2k. There's a dozen 318 / 320 / 325's for 1500-2000 around here. I wonder why?
                        Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

I have only paid more than $2k for two cars I have ever owned. Everything else was usually a $500 or less beater. Currently I have a 98 Gran Prix that I got for $500. A set of tires, some small stuff, and we have been driving it for four years now. It has around 130k on it. Goes through snow good, is comfy, does 30s highway on gas, and has the wonderful 3800 V6 in it. Its easy to work on, no screwy stuff to deal with like a Honda, and has plenty of room for passengers, or groceries.

Just find a beater you like that isnt run into the ground already, its pretty easy to keep them going. I just like the 3800 engine, and the later cars wrapped around them.

Comment

Does it need to have a soul or any guts? My dd is a 99 saturn sl1, wrong wheel drive 5 speed, pushes like a snow plow but gets high 30's mpg even got over 40 a time or two.
                            http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                            1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                            ​​​​​​

Comment

I thinking it's until flattened Bob turns back into Smilin Bob and can hopefully get the SVO done. I saw a 1700.00 Mustang GT a moment ago, but the kids been "wiring" on it so that's probably out.
                              Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Working...
                              X