I got a new job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I got a new job

As some of you know I've been racing full time for the last 7 years or so. It has it's highs and lows but over all it's been fun. One of the issues....for lack of a better way to say it.... has been the hussle, to make a decient income for us, I've found myself away from home for most of the year. Not a big deal for a young single guy, but juggling 3 and 4 jobs around a family plus dealing with the off season has put a strain on us. Around August I asked my wife to let me finish the year without stress and we would see what kind of changes I (we) could make over the winter to make things a little easier.

It wasn't that hard to get a job working nights after I got back from Pomona, so that took a little stress off, but I soon (like after the 3rd day) hated it. So I kept looking and if I didn't find anything I was going to take another offer to go back racing. Believe me when I say I was looking, and around this little farming community there isn't much that I qualify for with my education and experience.
    So I expanded my search and recieved an offer in North Dakota. Now, that kind of defeated my purpose as to why I started this whole search, so after a little negotiations they came back with an offer I couldn't refuse. So I accepted.

The position is for a diesel truck mechanic, 80hrs a week, 3 weeks on, one week off. The hard part was having to "sell" this to my wife, but I managed to convince her of all the attractive attributes, and gloss over the negative.
    Now, here I sit....I'm leaving next Tuesday, and I already miss racing and going someplace warm, lol.

Actually, deep down, I know it's the right thing for me to do. I hope in a few years to be able to adjust my schedule to race again. I probably have enough parts and favors to build my own car with a little effort. My wife is looking forward to being able to plan around my scheduled time off without me leaving at a moments notice.

I guess the reason for this post is I'm afraid I might be beginning to have second thoughts, and wondering what I got myself into this time.
    Originally posted by TC
    also boost will make the cam act smaller

I think it takes a big man to do what's necessary to care for his family even if it means some personal sacrifice. Hopefully this will evolve into something closer to home but in the meantime it seems to be a well thought out plan. No doubt you'll miss the racing life you're used to but that the long-term rewards will be worth it.

Best of luck

Dan

Comment

Well done!
      - 80 hours a week for three weeks at a time will be exhausting - stay healthy - eat well, and try to stay hydrated and on a good regimen of supliments.
      I sound like a doctor but the only way we kept at it for calibration trips (3-4 weeks at a time - crazy hours) through all kinds of weather was staying on a decent schedule and not eating like college kids, and we were in our 20s and 30s at the time.

I hope the travel and time away - even though it's more consistent - will allow things to be better for the family.

Best of luck on your new adventure, keep us posted.
      There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Thanks!
        While the hours seem to be a lot, I bet 80 would be on the low end during an avarage week racing. The real difference is we race in nice weather, shorts and t-shirt kind. The extra 40 hrs of overtime is whats going to make this worth while.
        I worked in Alaska in the oil fields when I was younger, the key word being "younger" lol
        I will keep you guys updated, and I'll take care of myself the best I can.
        Originally posted by TC

Comment

Good deal Scott! I don't know how you guys did it or how the guys out there that go the full tour working on these things do it. It is surely an adventure but seeing the sport of drag racing from the inside out like I get to there's no glamour in it, that is for sure.

I think you made the right call. Like you said, this is an opportunity to stabilize stuff, get some money put away, and then do what you want to do in a short time down the road. I'm thinking that it is a good call!

Brian
          That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Commuting or up rooting the family?
            Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

I'm going to commute, I don't think I could move the family there.
              Originally posted by TC

Comment

Originally posted by A/Fuel View Post
                I'm going to commute, I don't think I could move the family there.
                I respected you before, I respect you even more now. Good luck in ND.
                Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Wow, 80hrs. a week working on trucks, in the COLD. I did 40-50hrs. a week in my prime until my back decided it had enough.

Good luck. I'm sure you're family will appreciate the set schedule vs. uncertainty of home time.
                  GM G-bodies, because I can't afford a 69 Camaro.

Comment

Best of luck. Take care of yourself, that is a harsh environment. I agree with John, you'll need to monitor your well being, get enough sleep, eat right etc. 80 hours with that type of cold is tough.

I made a couple of job changes, when the kids were younger, in order to help the home life. You do what you have to do.
                    I'm still learning

Comment

You will miss it (racing) but once you convience yourself it is for the better, it won't hurt so bad..
                      Sometimes the hardest decisions are best.. Might not seem to be at first

Comment

Thanks again for the advice, I think I'm in pretty good shape and I should be able to handle it. My Mom just called and wanted me to know that it's pretty cold there right now....LOL, "Yup, I heard that too Mom.."
                        Originally posted by TC

Comment

Wish you luck - you'll build up your frequent flyer miles in a hurry that's for sure.
                          Phil / Omaha

Comment

Big money in ND with all the oil drilling going on up there.... I here even Mcdonald's is paying their counter help $15 an hour..... You'll make bank working 80hrs a week, I hear they have oil, water and sand trucks running 24/7, which I'm sure means lots of breakdowns and maintenance...... And all the Luck to ya my friend!!!!.....

Comment

Best of luck! I lived out of a suitcase for 8 years and it didn't kill me. During that, people told me, "I couldn't DO that." (What I was doing.) I always answered, yes you could if that's what you needed to do.
                              Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Working...
                              X