Which Winch for car trailer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Winch for car trailer?

To make dragging home non-op projects. I have a coupon for both so cost will be $300 for either. So which winch would you pick? I leaning towards the one from northern b/c it has a 1 year v/s 90 day warrenty.

Harbor Freight buys their top quality tools from the same factories that supply our competitors. We cut out the middleman and pass the savings to you!

Northern Tool 9500#
    66.67%
    Harbor Freight 12000#
    33.33%
    http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
    1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
    ​​​​​​

The Northern one 'looks' better but both are made in China Heights so it's kind of a moot point..
    My buddy used one of these winches on his car trailer, it cost $50 & it's strong as an Ox..

Comment

Northern. They are both made in China. Might as well get the biggest for your money. Although, you'll probably never wear either one out with the planned usage.
      Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

I use one of these & it's tuff enough...http://truckandwinch.com/tuff-stuff-...ess-winch.html

Comment

Originally posted by NightShifter View Post
          I use one of these & it's tuff enough...http://truckandwinch.com/tuff-stuff-...ess-winch.html
          $77 to ship throws all the saves out the window!

PB 60' 1.49
          ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Russell View Post
            $77 to ship throws all the saves out the window!
            But it's re-mo-te...
            Last edited by Guest; April 5, 2013, 12:33 PM.

Comment

P.S. They sell on e-bay too, you might be able to get free shipping

Comment

True wireless remote might be nice guess I need to deside it its worth $50

PB 60' 1.49
                ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Russell View Post
                  True wireless remote might be nice guess I need to deside it its worth $50
                  It's worth it, those cords are always to short.

Comment

Remotes that are wireless tend to go on vacation when you reeeeaaaallly need it..
                    Trailer we sometimes use that hauls 2 cars... Good for far away shows.. Has one and I usually gotta stick my head unsafe while the young uns steer...

Remember... Those weights are ROLLING weights.. I broke a 8,000# Warn trying to pull a broken derby car on my trailer..
                    I almost always use a snatch block.. Slower.. But stronger..

Comment

I love the wireless remote on my winch. Both of my winches were designed in the US and manufactured abroad... they both work fine.
                      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

the only way a winch will pull its max weight is when all but the last roll of cable is out,as the cable rolls back on, the winch pulls less weight,,,a 9000lb winch with 20 feet of cable out wont pull 9000lb..like stated a snatchblock will multiply the winchs strength.if its just going to be used on a trailer .id remove all but 25 feet of cable..the winch wont have to work as hard... also make sure you have a good power source,,,they use alot of power and low voltage will kill the motor really fast,,,warn and a few others make a cable kit that will hook to the tow rigs battery ...

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                          I love the wireless remote on my winch. Both of my winches were designed in the US and manufactured abroad... they both work fine.
                          the badland looks like a reverse engineered warn,,,theres another on the market thats perfect match for a ramsey rep series....

Comment

One of mine is a superwinch; which is chinese made, but kind of a staple around the people I play with.... that and Warn, Warns are really nice, but (except for their chinese-made ones) pretty expensive

For the life of me I can't remember what the brand is on the front of the Rescue rig.... it's 12k, was like 400 bucks, and has a remote - were I to choose, that would be the perfect one for a car trailer.... especially since it doesn't overheat the cables.

keep in mind, Monk, that any car-trailer winch needs a battery within a couple feet of wire length from the winch. Winches pull a lot of power, and you will melt down about anything but 0 or 00 if you try to run a winch on it. - it's also the reason we use smaller winches on trailers (like 6k range) so you don't burn up the wiring in your tow rig trying to pull too much for too long
                            Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; April 6, 2013, 07:11 PM.
                            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

This weekend I need to move two cars from location Y to location X. So no better excuse to pull the trigger, close to the weight I wanted close to the price range and sold by one click amazon prime

Going to weld some angle to the trailer to bolt it down. Now I have to decide what to do about a battery. I am not sure that the 6 year old battery out of the mustang will cut it. It is a 580 CCA the winch says use a minimum of 650 CCA. I used my milton. Batter tester it showed 12v but only 300 a when the loads was applied. I have it on the fish charger now.

PB 60' 1.49
                              ​​​​​​

Comment

Working...
                              X