Colorado, Canyon to receive four-cylinder Duramax diesel options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
    My dad had a shop truck for 20 years - a Isuzu diesel, 2wd, long bed truck. We beat the living snot out of that truck, and the worst mpg it got was 45 mpg. We used it like a 1 ton - e.g. we put a 20' commercial vent hood on the ladder rack (~500 lbs), 48x60" flat side - and hauled it to Seattle. Got 45 mpg.... top speed was 55.

That's the yardstick - if the truck does better than 30mpg, my H3 will find a new home.
    Yea - that's the thing lots of Americans remember about diesels from the 80s - they got great mileage but were abismal in the acceleration power department. It's easy to not use much fuel when you can't make much power.

I wonder how often you'll have to refill the urea tank?
    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

top em off at oil changes
      another reason diesels don't sell

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
        Yea - that's the thing lots of Americans remember about diesels from the 80s - they got great mileage but were abismal in the acceleration power department. It's easy to not use much fuel when you can't make much power.

those diesels assured my quest for foot pounds.
        Changing amount of air fuel is easy as hot rodding.

the Mercedes hack is the funniest of all time. A drill bit, 5 minutes and a holset turbo.

I drove a old 50hp rabbit (very old rabbit diesel), about 100 foot pounds, a later jetta, rattle trap..but more foot pounds, needed constant adjusting at the valves until head failed...at the valves....and a rare Nissan pickup, 1 drive, something overseas would get. I made up my mind then..my life is foot pounds.

the little boxer wins the whole damn thing, but I am very interested in the four banger diesel...especially turbo in modern control.
        Last edited by Barry Donovan; August 27, 2013, 09:12 AM.
        Previously boxer3main
        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

I have a diesel from the 80s - I honestly don't care whether or not I win drag races with it. I do love 20 mpg in something with a bed and 4000 lb carrying capacity.

To me, it's an arms race that just doesn't make sense. Sure, the 80s diesels measure 0-60 with a calendar, and a bit more is nice (hello turbo); but then it just got stupid.... spend 60k for a truck, spend another 20k to make it run faster - to what point? now you have an unreliable pickup with the fuel economy of a top fuel dragster... spend 60k for a truck, buy a Fox body put a turbo LS motor in it and go racing... you'd have change from the 20k....

so yeah, I'm weird, I just don't get it.
          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

that's why I have a ~$12k powerstroke. no $60k trucks here, never, even if I could "afford" one - it's a horrible investment.
            There's always something new to learn.

Comment

I'm betting a turbo will be involved this go around and will drive like a gas motor (and probably effect mpg's like a gas motor). Topping off the urea tank at every oil change sounds reasonable to me.
              Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

every thing is turboed
                good , until the turbo fails

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan View Post
                  every thing is turboed
                  that's the oil change you're talking about... my turbo has the original rust on the pedestal bolts still at 260k.
                  Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

every thing is turboed
                    and the world ends in a fiery crash ... still entertaining.

seriously, cars die.... all of them.
                    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

we had a rush of 2 Dmax turbos a few years back
                      then the price of diesel went up
                      duramax problems are fewer since nobody buys them ...municipalities just buy cheap ass diesel fords now

Comment

every thing is turboed
                        I wonder how this happens. The cheapo Holset on my 98 Dodge Ram lasted 355,000 miles before the trans crapped and it would cost more to repair than it's worth... so I parted it out. Turbo was in perfect shape. That cummins was the simplest engine to work on, and parts were cheap. A whole set of injectors cost less than ONE injector for a duramax.
                        www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek View Post
                          I wonder how this happens. The cheapo Holset on my 98 Dodge Ram lasted 355,000 miles before the trans crapped and it would cost more to repair than it's worth... so I parted it out. Turbo was in perfect shape. That cummins was the simplest engine to work on, and parts were cheap. A whole set of injectors cost less than ONE injector for a duramax.
                          difference that you missed is you took care of yours, as most car/truck people do. it's the other 95% of vehicle owners that just drive them, and have no clue on what service means other than when the idiot light on the dash comes on that says "check engine" or the "oil life light " reads zero . Did you ever think of why the OEM'S felt the need to add that feature? after see'n tons of cars with family photo's covering all the gauges/idiot lights in cars, I can see why they now offer service "reminder" emails/texts.. people think service is adding fuel to the tank..

Comment

We just bought a used Rogator (farm sprayer) with a 300 horse Cummins in it. I'm actually scared of it ever breaking down, there's more wires going in and out of it than the computer servers back at university. On the other hand, it's kinda cool to have one giant LCD screen in the cab instead of a dozen gauges that never work (which probably explains all the wires)...

Comment

Soot my boy .....ambulances not going into regen

Comment

Duramax has actual technology
                                Cummins was a tractor

Comment

Working...
                                X