new ride, 07 Mustang GT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new ride, 07 Mustang GT

Trying to get down to one hobby vehicle, something that I shouldn't have to wrench on too much as I enjoy doing that less and less as I get older. Sold my 66 T-Bird a few weeks ago, it was going to need a transmission refresh, and sometime in the future body and paint as well. Liked the car, but didn't love it, so no use pouring money in.

I've had an 89 Mustang 5.0 track day car project on the go for a few years. Doing it with mostly old school parts, no tubular suspension or coilovers, just stuff that would be available in the late 80s / early 90s. Had fun searching out the parts all over the interwebs, got some of it put together, but the project has stalled out.

In the meantime, my friend Rob that I do some of the track day instructing with had decided that he was looking to sell his modded 07 Mustang GT. He has some ongoing health issues that limit his mobility and strength at times, so he won't be doing as many events in the future. He wants to just go with a simple car that he can air up the tires on, and drive to the track to rip around in ... probably a Fiesta ST. So rather than deal with the hassle of trying to sell a modded car that is pretty track-focused, or attempting to return the car to stock to use as a trade-in on a new car, he offered it to me at a price below the current market value for a nice stocker.

The car is clean at 68,000 km, never winter driven, always properly maintained, with some great well-executed mods for getting it around the track quicker. Rob is a pilot for Air Canada, and also does safety investigation for them, and has a background going way back wrenching on race cars and racing 750 superbikes, so everything on the car is well-thought out and done properly. Drivetrain is pretty mild, just the original 4.6 3V with a CAI and tune, underdrive pulleys, FRPP X-pipe and Magnaflow cat-back, FRPP 3.73 gears and a Torsen T2R diff. He's also added GT-500 14" Brembo brakes, FRPP springs, Bilstein shocks, and various Whiteline rear suspension bits. This year he had also installed a Maximum Motorsports 4-point roll bar and Crow harnesses, which work nice with the Sparco seat already in there. I've driven this car on the street and on track many times over the years as the mods have progressed, and it is a blast to drive at a brisk pace around the circuits. Very easy and predictable, super reliable and looks and sounds great. It's basically the same car as my 87 5.0 was, but 20 years later ... plain looking car with the right mods to get the job done.

The car is very low key looking, Tungsten silver grey, and originally ordered with no rear spoiler. The running pony in the grille has been painted satin black, and he had put some tint over the big googly fog lights, as well as swapping out the giant OEM side mirrors for the retro style units available from Agent 47. He had added a Cervinis front splitter early last year, and it made enough difference to the aero on the higher speed tracks that he needed to add a rear wing, so one from Steeda was installed on an extra trunk lid, so that it can be swapped out to get the plain appearance back if not going to the track for a while. Even the street wheels are pretty low key, silver painted Steeda split 5-spoke 18x9.5" with a fresh set of Contintenal ExtremeContact DW 285/40R18 all around. Part of the deal was an extra set of wheels for track tires, 18x10" matte black BBS style from LateModelResto, with about 4 sets of used track tires too. Also getting some spare suspension parts, as well as all of the OEM parts removed in case I decide to change anything back in the future. A few crappy cellphone pics:

So I think this was the right answer for me ... I now have a decent looking car that I can depend on for events that are a fair drive like Carlisle, and have some fun ripping around the track with too. The Fox when assembled would be a decent track car, but not as nice to drive on the street, and although I like the look of the Fox Mustangs, to me the 05-up cars look much more like a Mustang should, and are a much better package overall with the march of progress. The 89 is up for sale, hopefully I can find someone to take the car and all the pieces in one go, but if I have to separate them, I can probably make more money back that way.

cheers
    Ed
    Ed Nicholson - Caledon Ontario - a bit NW of Toronto
    07 Mustang GT with some stuff
    88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed

Nice 'Stang. I need to get off my heiney and get mine ('88 LX convert w/'96 5.8) back on the road but the S-10 has been sucking up all available time.

Dan

Comment

Wow Ed, that thing's SWEET! Good grab.
      Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Figured that you would like it Peewee! For the price he offered it to me, I couldn't turn it down. Knowing the whole history of the car, and having had the opportunity to run it on track previously is a bonus. I helped him decide on many of the mods, and sold him some of the parts too through the dealership. Also got the big stack of receipts from all the bits and pieces added over the years. LOL

Comment

Mud Motor ..lol ...congratulations on the new ride

Comment

The highly elusive & well sought after 3 valve 007 GT, excellent score. May you bond well.

Comment

Sweet car and totally get only want to have one hobby car. Thru no fault of my own, some how I ended up with two. For now.
              Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Dang, that's nice. Almost too nice to be a hobby car! I'm kinda bummed about the '89... had to say it. Enjoy!
                Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

neat ride... so when you going to put a blower on it?
                  Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Nice score! These are great cars and way nicer than the Fox's and SN95's (although I do like both of those).

Enjoy it!

P.S. still waiting on the action video...

Comment

Fun cars, I love mine. It is comfortable, handles well, has enough power to be fun...Nice score, congrats.
                      If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Very nice! Ive been looking at one for a new daily as well.
                        Local person
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                          neat ride... so when you going to put a blower on it?

Not happening, at least while I own it. They build too much heat when being beat on around a road course ... some tracks (like my closest, Mosport), you can be on full throttle for 30 seconds or more, just puts too much heat in to the intake and cooling system. I'd rather have a nice strong NA motor for road course use. The best thing to do if I feel the need for a bunch more power, would be to wait a few more years for the prices of the 11-14 5.0 cars to start coming down more.

For now, this car is quick enough on slicks to scare me around Mosport, it is capable of doing a 1:35 lap there, which is an average speed over 90 mph ... some corners are 100+!!

cheers
                          Ed

Comment

Originally posted by fast Ed View Post

Not happening, at least while I own it. They build too much heat when being beat on around a road course ... some tracks (like my closest, Mosport), you can be on full throttle for 30 seconds or more, just puts too much heat in to the intake and cooling system. I'd rather have a nice strong NA motor for road course use. The best thing to do if I feel the need for a bunch more power, would be to wait a few more years for the prices of the 11-14 5.0 cars to start coming down more.

For now, this car is quick enough on slicks to scare me around Mosport, it is capable of doing a 1:35 lap there, which is an average speed over 90 mph ... some corners are 100+!!

cheers
                            Ed
                            Why do mustang owners hate blowers? First Peewee says no, now you?!!!!
                            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I would like a roots blower but the cost is a deal breaker, between 4 - 6K for centrifugal/roots/turbo's...I want one but I have some money in the bank and I just can't bring myself to pull the trigger...
                              If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Working...
                              X