Tote Gote

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tote Gote

I stopped by the neighbors today to check out the yard sale...got this for a hunnerd bucks. Had to haul it home in the pickup, because the rear tire did not turn (rusty chains)

This is an early one, looks like the 1959 revision. The 58 models had curved handle bars. The frame was redesigned on the next model. Missing the pull starter shroud from the B&S 3 hp engine, and it seems to be complete otherwise. The engine turns and has compression, haven't been able to test for spark yet. These things were slow...double reduction chain drive, after the reduction of the variable speed belt/clutch drive. I guess I need to decide if it gets cosmetic restoration, or not. I kind of want to make it pretty again.
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

those are so cool. Many good memories (and a few scars) from one of those
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I remember seeing one when I was a kid, it was huge....I guess they shrunk since then! I never rode one.

My fabulous web page

Comment

I had a Honda trail 50, my best friend had one of those - I thought they were huge back then, now? not so much. I'm totally with you that they shrunk.... makes perfect sense.

Comment

Saw a few of those.. I was lucky to get a trail 50...
          5 hp in the works?
          Pit bike?

Comment

I'll see if I can get it running, and probably will leave it stock, if so. I don't need a pit bike this big and heavy!
            My fabulous web page

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
              I'll see if I can get it running, and probably will leave it stock, if so. I don't need a pit bike this big and heavy!
              Lol... Night watchman at the deaf school had one, I used to misplace it... When I got caught it was isolation for 2 months.

Comment

Nice score! I was never allowed to have anything like that but I had friends with weird stuff - we made a motorbike out of an English racer and a Reo lawn mower engine. But a mini-bike would have been way cool.

Dan

Comment

I kind of want to make it pretty again.
                  I see nothing wrong with doing a frame off restro!

I like the back tractor tire
                  Last edited by Russell; February 2, 2017, 07:04 AM.
                  http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                  1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                  ​​​​​​

Comment

I stopped by the neighbors today to check out the yard sale...got this for a hunnerd bucks. Had to haul it home in the pickup, because the rear tire did not turn (rusty chains)

This is an early one, looks like the 1959 revision. The 58 models had curved handle bars. The frame was redesigned on the next model. Missing the pull starter shroud from the B&S 3 hp engine, and it seems to be complete otherwise. The engine turns and has compression, haven't been able to test for spark yet. These things were slow...double reduction chain drive, after the reduction of the variable speed belt/clutch drive. I guess I need to decide if it gets cosmetic restoration, or not. I kind of want to make it pretty again.
                    8 cubic inches of flathead power needs a lot of gear if you're over 45 pounds... lol. Whatever you choose of course, but I would love to see you make it pretty again. The starter is gonna be tough one to get the right part for I bet. They used to have neat lines and a BS stamped into them that the new starters don't have. Oil bath air filter! I haven't seen one on in a while. I'll look around in dad's garage and see if there is still a starter here if you are interested. It won't be '59 vintage though. I can't really see, but it looks like it might be the same recoil starter clutch they've been using forever. I've probably got a magnetron for it too if you go into shock over the point/condensor price if the condensor is bad.

Front brakes? Wow, that is deeeeluxe.
                    Last edited by Beagle; February 2, 2017, 07:05 AM.
                    Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

It has a neat rear brake, it's just a wedge that pushes into a little V belt pulley, on one of the jackshafts.

I found an embossed shroud/starter on ebay for a lot of dough...I probably ought to buy it, just because this thing needs all the old original parts on it.

The tractor tire on back is original, it was a feature of the tote gote.
                      My fabulous web page

Comment

Cool find. I had the Sears (or maybe Montgomery Ward or Western Auto) knockoff of one of those as a kid, 3HP Tecumseh, centrifugal clutch, flappy rear brake that worked by pushing a plate against the back tire. Not nearly as posh as yours, it was a lot of fun though.

Comment

I had a mini bike as a kid. I paid $10 for it. It was missing an engine. The engine I had I ported the intake and exhaust ports and filed the head down to the point where the valve barely hit the head. I found it ran really good on STP gas treatment!
                          Tom
                          Overdrive is overrated

Comment

I spent $60 on that engine shroud, it came in the mail today, it's beautiful....fits right, looks right, works right. I had to fiddle with the ignition system to get spark, it needed the points filed and adjusted, plug gap closed up, and soldered the coil wire back onto the coil. Carb leaks...which means it's getting fuel. A few pulls later, putt putt putt

My fabulous web page

Comment

I'm not sure I've ever seen this word.... need.... what does that mean?
                              I figured you'd pull into your various drag races pulling your Nova with your Suburban and run around the pits on the bike.... all you need are tattoos and Linda Vaughn on to completely be a throwback to the 60s

(and by all of that I mean it'd be very cool)
                              Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; February 4, 2017, 08:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X