No announcement yet.

Mutt The Race Truck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can yor add air up front to your shockwaves by pairs or each by itself?

Comment

• Individually. There's just a line and a Schrader valve from each unit. I don't even look at pressure anymore, just ride height. Add/subtract 'till I get what I want.

Dan

Comment

• Truck is looking good Dan! I didn't think that diesel made enough power to need drag radials, lol. I know it's the diameter you need. You should check caster now with the big back tires, you may have lost a few degrees may let the truck wander at higher speeds.
        Last edited by Huskinhano; April 27, 2015, 09:38 AM.
        Tom
        Overdrive is overrated

Comment

• Something New(ish)

As I was loading and unloading Mutt I screwed up and forgot to fully inflate the ShockWaves, resulting in a messed up front air dam. It hit on the stop blocks that I have at the front of the trailer to keep the lil' guy at the right spot on the trailer. So lesson learned, but this left me with an air dam to fix which wasn't all bad as the rear corners never bent properly to my eye. But the top secret material (plastic garden edging) used to form the bottom of the dam really doesn't want to make the near 90* bend that's required. A bit of thinking and here's the fix I came up with.

The issue:
          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1140.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	374.4 KB
ID:	1034093

From the front. You can see it's not a 90* bend - just sort of a curve.

Name:	IMG_1141.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	350.3 KB
ID:	1034094

The whole front, just sort of a bow and with a lot of wrinkles, etc.

Name:	IMG_1142.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	403.7 KB
ID:	1034095

The fix. I taped it below where it goes just to demonstrate the curve.

Name:	IMG_1143.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	359.3 KB
ID:	1034096

Yep, that's 1/2 EMT (metal conduit) with almost a 90* bend at the end a slight bend in the middle to make it better conform to the shape of the front end. Here it is going in. Note the heat gun lying on the floor - that's the secret. That 90* bend will NOT push in if the edging is at room temp. The good news is that once everything cools back off it won't pull out, either.

Name:	IMG_1144.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	374.4 KB
ID:	1034097

Finished installation. Almost looks professional! Still a little wrinkley but not too bad.

Name:	IMG_1145.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	392.4 KB
ID:	1034098

The observant among us will have noticed that I trimmed the ends at the wheelwells. Really easy with a hacksaw. I'm pretty comfortable that if the dam hits the track it'll give in the thinner plastic area and save the track, which is the whole idea in the first place.

Dan
          Last edited by DanStokes; May 23, 2015, 02:54 PM.

Comment

• me likey, me likey very much. You do good job, Joe!

*sorry, SBG was with some very good friends who are from the Philippines and Japan - they were razing me about aboot, so this is payback
            Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; May 23, 2015, 06:05 PM.
            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• I didn't realize you went oot and aboot. Darn Hoser!

And thanks for the attaboy! Even in broken English.

Dan
              Last edited by DanStokes; May 23, 2015, 07:43 PM.

Comment

• you mean my engrish?

Comment

• 'Zakry.

Dan

Comment

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                    As I was loading and unloading, I screwed up, resulting in a messed up front air dam.
                    That's a shame, I thought you did a nice job on it originally ... the round bar reinforcement fix looks nice though.

Comment

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

Bio is legal at ECTA. Diesel is treated as "Fuel". Pretty sure it's a no-go at Bonneville as they have event Diesel which is really just a deal they have with the gas station up the road. But still, the tank has to be sealed. Someone wanted to make bio at the salt so it could be inspected then run it (forgot which vehicle) but the officials basically didn't want to go there. I don't know if there's any performance advantage.

Dan

I would think bio would be a disadvantage. It's fewer btu per gallon. It also does not atomize as well. Vehicles usually take a performance hit when they are switch over to bio fuel.

Comment

• Originally posted by Polyhead View Post

I would think bio would be a disadvantage. It's fewer btu per gallon. It also does not atomize as well. Vehicles usually take a performance hit when they are switch over to bio fuel.
                        I'm inclined to agree with you unless (like running alcohol in a gasoline-fueled vehicle) the system is optimized for it. Not a place I intend to go.

Dan

Comment

• Back safe and sound. We (me and Larry and Dick) learned that Mutt doesn't go faster with more boost above 15 PSI or so. Aftyer talking to other boost-savvy racers we figured out that he's probably making more heat with more boost and the heat offsets the boost. I don't have an intake temp gage so I can't know for sure.

Anyhow, the intercooler and intake temp gage are on order. I hope to have all that in and working by the July meet.

On an unrelated note, I bent up the spoiler again! All was fine 'till I unloaded on Monday evening. No clue what's going on there but I'll fix it and see what I can do to prevent future occurrences like this.

Dan

Comment

• The truck turned out nice Dan!
                            I missed what kind of speeds you had it up to?
                            www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

• So far, 101.1918 or so (MPH, not kilometers/hr) (A little English humor right there). There MUST be more speed available.

Dan

Comment

• more boost, more fuel, and a bit of laughing gas.

Comment

Working...
                                X