Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

74NovaMan's 66 Mustang GT (Dad's first new car)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Huskinhano View Post
    The $64,000 question, Are you going to just show the car or do you actually plan on driving it? To make this a fun driving car that handles well is easy and cheap. Klaus Arning was the suspension engineer on these cars. they originally were suppose to have IRS but the bean counters thought they would only sell several thousand cars and killed the IRS. Arning modified the front geometry to work with the IRS which was to lower the UCA 1" and 1/8" back. This adds caster, raises the roll center which makes the car corner flatter and improves the camber gain. You will not believe the improvement it makes! It's huge.
    I definetly plan on driving it a lot. I don't have the funds for all the fancy stuff you have, but the Arning mod makes good sense. I also want to keep stock appearance for now. I looked at my sandblasting pictures and I noticed that the passenger side looks like it has already been drilled for the Arning Mod. I'll have to double check to see if the holes are drilled correctly. Not sure what I'll do if they are not. I assume I may need to shorten the springs to compensate for the lower mount. Thanks again for the detailed input.

Attached Files
    Last edited by 74NovaMan; April 14, 2014, 10:25 AM.
    Chris - HRPT Long Haul 03, 04, 05, 13, 14, 15,16 & 18
    74 Nova Project
    66 Mustang GT Project

92 Camaro RS Convertible Project
    79 Chevy Truck Project
    1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

• Back to the engine. I need to pick the cam. My current thought is this one from Edelbrock:

Free Shipping - Edelbrock Performer-Plus Cam and Lifter Kits with qualifying orders of $99. Shop Camshaft Kits at Summit Racing.

Cam card:

Edelbrock is the most respected name in performance! Since 1938, Edelbrock has manufactured its core products in the USA for quality and performance.

From the Edelbrock website (bold and underlining are mine):

Designed for optimum torque from the low-end to the mid-range, Performer-Plus camshafts match with Performer manifolds for vehicles operating from off-idle to 5500 rpm. They are smooth idling cams for daily drivers, trucks, vans, RVs and 4x4s. You can expect a major improvement in throttle response and torque.

The motor should be 9:1 to 9.25:1 with the stock heads. I'm planning on using the stock intake and exhaust manifolds and the stock 4bbl carb at this point.

If you have other thoughts or think I'm on the right track please chime in.
      74 Nova Project
      66 Mustang GT Project

79 Chevy Truck Project
      1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

• Just curious - what's the firing order on that cam? The Comp High Energy in my 5.8 is the newer firing order and I'm wondering if they all are nowadays. Darn if I can remember exactly what the difference is, just that it's different.

Dan

Comment

• I've spent like zero money on the rest of the car. I sold a lot of scrap steal and literally saved pennies I picked up off the ground. It all adds up! It's all gone in the front suspension. I wasn't' going to install the tubular LCA but the ones on the car were thrashed.

Lowering the UCA will actually lower the front by about 5/8" because you've increased the distance between the springs mounting locations. I went up slightly in spring rate on my 66. I'm using factory spec "GT" springs which was an option. My car is sitting about 1.25" lower at least from where I Started. I attribute some of it due to the bearings and no rubber bushings adding artificial spring rate. Without the spring you can easily move my suspension up or down by hand.
          Tom
          Overdrive is overrated

Comment

• I'd want / need the piston part numbers and deck height before choosing a cam. Tom keeps mentioning how sensitive these little mills are to any clearance, and it impacts which cam you choose. I'd retrofit a roller into the 289 block before I would consider a flat tappet for a 302, just for piece of mind. Flat tappets are great for anything you can't get a roller for.

That said, the cam you are looking at is a fine tow truck cam. Let's see what you got for the rest of the mill? A stock EFI Mustang / Lincoln LSC roller is somewhat similar to that cam.
            Last edited by Beagle; November 7, 2013, 12:44 PM.
            Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
              Just curious - what's the firing order on that cam? The Comp High Energy in my 5.8 is the newer firing order and I'm wondering if they all are nowadays. Darn if I can remember exactly what the difference is, just that it's different.

Dan
              I'd seen something about that somewhere. Here is the detail from the installation instructions.

Figure 2 - 289-302 c.i.d. Ford V8Firing Order 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8
              NOTE:
              5.0 Litre H.O. engines originally have a different firing order.This must be changed to the firing order listed above when
              installing Performer-Plus camshaft #2122.

From Wiki-answers: If it is a 302 it is 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8 and if it is a 289 its 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8

I'll obviously check my manual, but it looks good so far.
              74 Nova Project
              66 Mustang GT Project

79 Chevy Truck Project
              1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

• Originally posted by 74NovaMan View Post
                I'd seen something about that somewhere. Here is the detail from the installation instructions.

Figure 2 - 289-302 c.i.d. Ford V8Firing Order 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8
                NOTE:
                5.0 Litre H.O. engines originally have a different firing order.This must be changed to the firing order listed above when
                installing Performer-Plus camshaft #2122.

From Wiki-answers: If it is a 302 it is 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8 and if it is a 289 its 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8

I'll obviously check my manual, but it looks good so far.
                that answer is kind of wrong. You can put either firing order cam in a 289, 302, or 351. The cam dictates the firing order, not the displacement. No worries, it's like the Edelbrock card indicates. The HO cam firing order is why LS's sound like Mustangs to me.
                Last edited by Beagle; November 7, 2013, 01:33 PM.
                Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

• Originally posted by Huskinhano View Post
                  Lowering the UCA will actually lower the front by about 5/8" because you've increased the distance between the springs mounting locations. I went up slightly in spring rate on my 66. I'm using factory spec "GT" springs which was an option.
                  It took me a bit to process this but I get it now. Thanks. I'm using the original springs (at least I think they are original).
                  74 Nova Project
                  66 Mustang GT Project

79 Chevy Truck Project
                  1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

• Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                    I'd want / need the piston part numbers and deck height before choosing a cam. Tom keeps mentioning how sensitive these little mills are to any clearance, and it impacts which cam you choose. I'd retrofit a roller into the 289 block before I would consider a flat tappet for a 302, just for piece of mind. Flat tappets are great for anything you can't get a roller for.

That said, the cam you are looking at is a fine tow truck cam. Let's see what you got for the rest of the mill? A stock EFI Mustang / Lincoln LSC roller is somewhat similar to that cam.
                    Pistons:http://www.summitracing.com/parts/slp-h273cp40 Compression distance: 1.605 Dish volume: 8CC Bore: 4.040

Rods:http://www.summitracing.com/parts/esp-5155f3d/overview/ Length 5.155

Stock Heads assume 54cc and a light shave to clean up the surface.

Stock 289 block with a light shave to clean up the surface.

I'm figuring I'll be within .005 of zero deck and have a compressed head gasket thickness of .05

C-4 Transmission with stock converter

3.00 rear gears

I'm not interested in HP numbers, quarter mile times or the like with this car. This will be a cruiser type of car and the Nova will be the hot rod. I want to maximize the feel of the car from stop light to stop light. I definetly don't want to wait for the engine to wind up before the power hits.

With all of that in mind, is the Edelbrock cam a good choice?

Edit: I'm not interested in a roller setup for this motor.
                    Last edited by 74NovaMan; November 7, 2013, 03:40 PM. Reason: Roller comment
                    74 Nova Project
                    66 Mustang GT Project

79 Chevy Truck Project
                    1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

• It sounds like you really want a roller cam. Call Comp Cams.

Being a cheap phuck and not really caring I went with this. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/su...view/make/ford

at the time it was $109 for the kit. Haven't fired the engine.
                      Last edited by Casper; November 7, 2013, 05:39 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Casper View Post
                        It sounds like you really want a roller cam. Call Comp Cams.

Being a cheap phuck and not really caring I went with this. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/su...view/make/ford

at the time it was $109 for the kit. Haven't fired the engine.
                        I'd be interested to hear how yours works out. When are you planning on firing it up?
                        74 Nova Project
                        66 Mustang GT Project

79 Chevy Truck Project
                        1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

• First of 3 deliveries over the next few days. The connecting rods are kinda sexy and are rated for 7500 rpm and only $75 over reconditioned stock rods. This shipment is Foobie approved!

Attached Files
                          Last edited by 74NovaMan; April 14, 2014, 10:26 AM.
                          74 Nova Project
                          66 Mustang GT Project

79 Chevy Truck Project
                          1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

• Transmission update:

The transmission has been at the rebuilders house for about 3 weeks. The first week he called with an update that the corrosion on the tailshaft actually went all the way through. He was able to find a replacement though. He was hoping to get the trans back to us this week but he has recieved the wrong shift kit twice. We should have it back next week if the supplier can send the correct kit.
                            74 Nova Project
                            66 Mustang GT Project

79 Chevy Truck Project
                            1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

• When I changed cams in my 5.0 to a two stage over stock I had to chage the fireing order to a 351w to get it to fire right,but Comp Cams don't tell you this.
                              Greg & Mendy Dayton, Ohio 2007LH 2008LH 2010LH 2011LH 2012 1st 2 stops 2013LH 2015 1st 2 stops2016LH 2017 first and last stops . 2018 LH ("It's better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool!! Harley Davidson!")

Comment

• Originally posted by 74NovaMan View Post
                                I'd be interested to hear how yours works out. When are you planning on firing it up?
                                Hard to say, should of had it fired up weeks ago. Those rods do look nice.

Comment

Working...
                                X