No announcement yet.

Skid Mark - how fast for 5k?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How about simply getting an aftermarket compressor and maybe air tank and hooking it to the stock bags after replacement? Or did I just state the obvious?
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by BBR View Post
      Sure! This thread is approaching Bob levels of photographic phail.
      HEY NOW!!!!

Thought you snuck that one in, eh...

Ima gonna keep an eye on you....
      I'm still learning

Comment

Okay, apparently these automatic thingies need fluid. Who knew? It's in the drive, and ... under it's own power. 3 quarts low seems to be a problem for these AOD's. It actually compression braked when I was coming up the alley!! I feel so much better. Monica, not so impressed. The back bags filled way too much, the front bags, nothing. Prolly an easy fix? I'm tickled the thing moved by itself. It even started idling at 800 steady after a couple of minutes and sounds too good to take it apart. Ooops. Sorry bout that BC.

I'm actually pretty stoked - the title/bond folks are dragging their ass though. Not enough money I guess? I checked resale and "poor" said 1700? Meh. Really? Smoking bitch kitty in the drive, FTW! Big moment for me. Monica? not feeling it. Ha.

/edit - uh, well, power steering is pooped. Seems like it wants fluid too? Checking on that but after cranking on the wheel with no PS I'm thinking it will be fine with a manual rack. Somewhere around 83 or 84 they changed the fox racks? Does anyone have a manual post 84 rack for a Fox body for cheap?
        Last edited by Beagle; February 1, 2012, 07:07 PM.
        Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Monica sez it'll never get done. No more communication from me until it's at least inspected, tagged, and driving.

Comment

I thought I posted here that we're building one of these for a LeMon's car. Well....actually someone else is building it, I've donated a bunch of the Blue Bitch's cast offs. I'll have to go over and take some pics. We're converting to a set of comp springs that I had left over, I also gave them a set of extra SVO FLCAs and RLCAs that were in the boneyard, I don't know if they got them to work.

Its a bit of a shame, the car was the principal builder's Grandma's car. The paint and interior were spotless. But he says his Grandma was flat out enthusiastic about the use.
            I'm still learning

Comment

you'd give up your woman for that car? Beags, I know all about Ford guys, but really?!!!
              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I knew a Monica in school - I hope yours is like her, if so - she'll understand.

Great to know ol' abe came to life for ya - tuff call - having bags would be cool at times, but if it's $$ and a headache, swapping to coils FTW.
                There's always something new to learn.

Comment

I didn't phrase that right - I meant I wouldn't be on here as much...I need to spend time in the garage and not on the keyboard. Thank god for work downtime, I can still get my fix.

I'd set the car on fire before letting it become a problem, but I'm surprised she's acting jealous of it already. lol. I guess the k-frame budget just got horked in favor of shiny-wear for the gf. A little goes a long ways. grin.

Apparently the SN95 uses the same length control arms as Cougar/Tbird, which is what I need for the front. I found a k-member with SN95 lca's but something doesn't sound right. The guy says it's a Maximum Motorsports unit but they say you can't use stock lower control arms. This one has stock LCA's, and the other problem is a 4.6 mount. I'm unclear on what that would mean to me, as I'm thinking about going with a plate mount anyway. If it was a total fail I wouldn't be too concerned, I'll put it under the '98. I sent a mail to see if he's still got it. 250.00 is a pretty good price if it's really a MM part and it's straight.

This brings up a big can of worms - using the stuff from an SN95 with forward offset control arms would put the wheel in the center of the fender (front to back) I think. It's way back already, I think it would look better if nothing else.

Then we get into the whole Bob's world of pain over the ball joint deal, and I'm getting confused by what fits what. The Lincoln guys say 94-95 spindles, and MM says the same thing. The ball joint on the SN95 control arm with a 94-95 spindle is supposed to work.

Bob Holmes - can you check the math I just did please? Need your help here!!

The replacement bags are starting to sound good. lol. I want the car to lose some weight and gain some space, so I'm hoping this k-member deal goes through.

Comment

to clear this up, I'm thinking about using Maximum Motorsport's tubular SN95 LCA's with a forward offset for the front springs. If I use a SN95 94-95 spindle with it, I can get bigger brakes on it pretty easily. I don't know why I'm sidetracked by this, brakes are for pussies. Grin.

describes this fiasco.
                    Last edited by Beagle; February 2, 2012, 08:03 AM.

Comment

Beags, the SN95 ball joints are replaceable. I just did it on my conversion witht the SVO. In fact, the arms I bought came loaded and I changed the ball joints to X2s (which have a taller stud, its a geometry thing) so I have a brand new set sitting around somewhere.

If you're getting an MM for $250, it's a good deal. If nothing else, you'll be able to easily sell it on if it doesn't work for you. Carefully check all the welds for cracks, they do fatique. If It was a Griggs I'd have it magnafluxed, they have been known to crack.

The SN95 LCA is .25 shorter than the stock Continental/SVO LCA. You shouldn't notice a difference.
                      I'm still learning

Comment

Beags, on the spindle change: I highly suggest that you buy a bump steer kit if you go this direction. I think its a good move, but, introducing any degree of bump steer is going to sour you quickly.

Measuring (and curing) bump on a strut suspension is a pain in the ass, but well worth the time invested. You definitely want to do it when you'er building the suspension, not after. Or, you'll need to tear it back apart. I'm going to have to tear apart the SVO I'm building because I needed to get a suspension under it just to roll it around. You gotta do what you gotta do.

Look around for some caster/camber plates, while not an absolute necessity they can make life easier. I think I gave my extra set to the LeMons team. Absent a set of plate, you can change caster/camber by slotting the strut mounting holes on the top of the shock tower.

If you don't already know what to look for when setting up a strut suspension geometry, let me know and I'll point you to some reference materials.
                        I'm still learning

Comment

I'm torn at least five different ways on this. The MM part fell through, not uncommon on CL and I don't blame the guy for taking money in hand over "can we meet tomorrow"

a) CL 50.00 Fox K-member, rack, lca's, rotors, everything.
                          upside, bigger brakes for the T-bird I have and plan on "fixing up" some day. (HA!)
                          downside, still have to get LCA's but tubular would drop a little weight. Unsprung even, but it doesn't matter to me. I'd take either side.

b) 400.00 tubular k-member, tubular lower control arms, coil over QA1's
                          Upside, major weight loss, header space, adjustable shocks, low miles
                          downside, cost, CL listing, haven't heard back from him, motor mount questions/hassles

c) relieve the T-Bird of it's k-member and LCA
                          Upside, paid for, available
                          downside - LABOR, car is unmovable afterwards until whenever I get around to it

d) 400.00 total airspring repair, four bags, new compressor, everything
                          downside - cost. I lost one of the rear bags, I think the compressor is limp.
                          upside - easy fix, minimal labor

e) 400.00 coil spring conversion, all four corners
                          downside - cost
                          upside - never find car laying on a cat in the morning. We have a leash law on cats, but the owners still get pissed when your car flattens one. Their upside? Can put cat out for the night through the mailslot / under door.

f) two air bags for the front and put schrader valves from the truck stop / airride folks on all four corners. 200.00 for the front bags, but I'm not sure they aren't a victim of crappy compressor. This would answer that and possibly provide a cheap fix.
                          upside - if it works, cheap way to get car off the groung
                          downside - if it fails, still have to decide what to do.

I need to decide really quick, like this week quick. I'm going to see if anybody local has the airline schrader valves today, but if that fails, it makes the coil / airbag dealio look favorable. I moved one vehicle, but I suspect it's a matter of days until I hear about this one too. In other news, the yard almost looks like someone lives here and the weekend was gorgeous weather! I can put three cars in the drive now. Bigtime improvement, city and neighbors should piss themselves in joy.

I'm also heading down to the DMV today and see if I can at least register it, and get the title work moving. If it's registered, they'll get largely off my ass.
                          Last edited by Beagle; March 5, 2012, 09:24 AM. Reason: type first, correct bad speeling and gramer later

Comment

2 words: car cover.

If it's parked on your property, they can't legally trespass to raise the cover and look under it. Heck, they can't legally trespass to look at the front windshield either.

Oh and I would go with the 400 coil conversion. Keep it mostly Mark 7 without creating too much of a bastard parts conglomerate.
                            Last edited by BBR; March 5, 2012, 09:30 AM.
                            Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
                            1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
                            1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
                            1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
                            1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
                            1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                              upside - never find car laying on a cat in the morning. We have a leash law on cats, but the owners still get pissed when your car flattens one. Their upside? Can put cat out for the night through the mailslot / under door.

I vote re-airbag and compressor it.
                              Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Working...
                              X