Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

62 Falcon - $5k challenge, how will it rise from the ranger's ashes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• when you pull the wiring, attach some wire to the end of the harness - so when you pull the new wire through, you can use the bailing wire you attached to the old wire to help it move through the column

I had all sorts of headaches with the C3 because the intake gaskets were leaking.... I'm pretty sure that the leak was cause by backfiring....
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Is there a plate the goes between the motor and trans on an automatic. I know mine has one with the t5. Where the starter hole is you can see its been pinched pretty bad and I think that is what caused my starter to take my flywheel out. Just a thought. I don't know the automatics very well
      Jeff
      Follow My Build

Comment

• Yes - there is a plate between trans case and engine on an auto, it's in there.

It's interesting - I've never had a starter issue until recently - both with 302/aod, Marco's wagon set up was fixed using the washer trick.

I'm concerned that my simple wiring job of running a jumper wire from the large stud on the starter to the "trigger" terminal on the starter solenoid might be causing the issue.... instead of running the trigger wire all the way back to the solenoid in the trunk.
        There's always something new to learn.

Comment

• Try a large paperclip (or two) between the starter where the bolts go through and the trans plate? Same as a washer, just thinner and easier to take out if that's not what it is. How hard is the starter to get to with the headers in place?
          Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

• Originally posted by milner351 View Post
            Yes - there is a plate between trans case and engine on an auto, it's in there.

It's interesting - I've never had a starter issue until recently - both with 302/aod, Marco's wagon set up was fixed using the washer trick.

I'm concerned that my simple wiring job of running a jumper wire from the large stud on the starter to the "trigger" terminal on the starter solenoid might be causing the issue.... instead of running the trigger wire all the way back to the solenoid in the trunk.
            I was just going to ask if you had wired it that way. That is known to cause the issue, and I am having the same issue on the Red Furd. I'll be rewiring to fix it.
            I'm still learning

Comment

• Ok - so - this gives me the opportunity to go back and do it right. From the "S" terminal on the trunk mounted solenoid, through the neutral safety switch - to the starter solenoid.... correct?
              Last edited by milner351; September 17, 2013, 12:21 PM.

Comment

• This is awesome. I know you didn't make the goal, but man, you sure got it down the field. Nice work.
                Last edited by STINEY; September 17, 2013, 12:56 PM.
                Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bob Holmes View Post
                  I was just going to ask if you had wired it that way. That is known to cause the issue, and I am having the same issue on the Red Furd. I'll be rewiring to fix it.

That's a red herring.... the issue is with the starter switch itself. Been there, done that, saw the movie, own the rights to the t-shirt.

Comment

• So you're admitting that you've worked on Fords. Chink in the armor.
                    I'm still learning

Comment

• Originally posted by Bob Holmes View Post
                      So you're admitting that you've worked on Fords. Chink in the armor.
                      actually, several. I gained my hatred of them through experience with them....

Comment

• So can we get agreement on the best way to wire this before I go and have to re-do it a third time?

Every brand has it's flaws, it's fans, and it's haters.

Comment

• Originally posted by milner351 View Post
                          So can we get agreement on the best way to wire this before I go and have to re-do it a third time?

Every brand has it's flaws, it's fans, and it's haters.
                          agreement... ummm... back to the switch, it's new?

and I'm confused.... why did you hotwire the solenoid? (jumper between the large/small lug)

Comment

• battery in trunk
                            new solenoid in trunk - wired so 1 ga wire from solenoid to starter is only hot during cranking, and entire car is shut down with kill switch at back of car (behind bumper)
                            Ignition switch in dash (new)

With the gear reduction style starters - there is a wiring change where the trigger wire for the solenoid is common with the starter cable, that's why I ran the jumper wire at the starter.

In it's current configuration - the neutral safety switch is not wired in - SO - my proposal is to run a wire from the solenoid in the trunk, through the neutral safety switch, to the trigger terminal on the starter - 14 gauge would probably suffice, it's only a signal wire.

Comment

• I'm trying to follow this.....so you have 2 disconnects in the starter circuit? One in the large cable (remote solenoid in trunk) and then when it is energized, the second disconnect is in the solenoid on the starter? If that is indeed the case I'd do away with the solenoid on the starter thing, but I subscribe to the KISS theory. I'm thinking when you jump the starter you are also backfeeding the solenoid in the trunk, which stays on from the backfeed and then reverse-backfeeds the solenoid on the starter. Clear as mud?
                              Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• yeah, that works.... Though, were it me, that starter solenoid would be in the engine compartment to shorten all the relevant runs - that said, I wouldn't change it.

... and you're sure your starter gear is properly spaced from the ring gear?
                                Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; September 18, 2013, 06:50 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X