Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How about starting a tool tech thread or sticky.............

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• it's back, now with its own VFD

and unloaded in the sketchiest manner available

Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• wow.. 2 years...

today's tool... tube sander

I couldn't see spending at least $150 for a dedicated one, but this was half... of course, I got it and immediate broke the warranty

don't know what grinder it was meant to fit, but the $20 Porter Cables that are used less and less became a good donor for the new setup

this may not end on a side grinder... I have another bench grinder that might become an effective sander/deburrer.. time will tell

but for now, it does okay

Comment

• Just saw this thread. Yes I am slow at times. Regarding welding classes as a hobbyist, check with your high school or junior college for adult education classes in welding. Back in the 80's I taught welding classes like that. One night a week usually, and affordable.

The only other comment is start with oxy-acetylene welding, with supervision, because if you can gas weld, you will pick up the rest easily. I learned it in 68-69 timeframe and when I moved on to tig, I was amazed at how easily it was.

And I'm working on getting another lathe. When I get it, I'll post a picture or two.

Comment

• Originally posted by dave.g.in.gansevoort View Post
          Just saw this thread. Yes I am slow at times. Regarding welding classes as a hobbyist, check with your high school or junior college for adult education classes in welding. Back in the 80's I taught welding classes like that. One night a week usually, and affordable.

The only other comment is start with oxy-acetylene welding, with supervision, because if you can gas weld, you will pick up the rest easily. I learned it in 68-69 timeframe and when I moved on to tig, I was amazed at how easily it was.

And I'm working on getting another lathe. When I get it, I'll post a picture or two.
          that's how I learned. Took IA in high school - ironic because my dad owns a sheet metal fab shop - and didn't learn from him, if anything, I've taught him.

in today's tools
          I've always wanted a bead roller for small pipe... finally bought the dies

I already have a powered roller - and that was the biggest "not going to spend hundreds on a dedicated tool when I already have this one"

the instructions were non-existent but if you have the concept of how it works, it's not too tough to figure out where the various shims go

best part.... the dies cost $40 delivered... delivery was 1/3 the price

Comment

• I need this

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	62
Size:	160.6 KB
ID:	1337112

Comment

• I just saw this.... thought it would be useful for those warriors carrying their floor jack to events..... then you wouldn't need a jackstand

⚡️Buy Jack Rod at AGMProducts. Satisfaction Guaranteed. Secure Checkout. Easy Returns. Free Shipping in the US, over $200.
              Patrick & Tammy
              - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• Langmuir cnc plasma
                I bought this years ago (2015 ish) never really used it because I rarely copy parts.... and it is kind of time consuming for one-offs. With that said, it also didn't have a Z-axis control - which leads to a challenge getting parts to look good as the plasma varies in height over the material. ... my wife has some parts that need to be cut out, so it was a good 'excuse' to get it updated.... so here we go.....
                mostly it's been a computer stand

out with the old

but given how 'old' it is, they sent an entire, new computer... which also means I have an x/y axis control (read mill) that is now homeless

as with anything else, break every warranty... this time, the Z-axis parts need to be installed in the new controller

as an aside, it's amazing how close I got to making one from scratch.... all the parts inside I know and know what they do....
                you can tell that it's replaced because it's less dusty

need to run it in, but ready to go

Comment

• I know I learned this before, I guess it did not stick, but getting a magnet that says it has a 60 and another that says it has 112 pound clamping force does not mean it can hold 60 or 112 pounds. Sometimes writing things down help the memory.

Comment

Working...
                  X