Do's& Don'ts for 2014 rookies.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do's& Don'ts for 2014 rookies.

We decided to do the 2013 Tour in Febuary. It's always been our dream trip. After changing which cars were being driven 5 times, dealing with Family Events, last minute vehicle substitution, car breaking down in Hot Springs. What is the best advice for newbies and how early to start planning 2014?
    Arlington, Texarkana, Little Rock, 2013
    Long Hauler 2014, 2016, 2018
    Kansas City 2017

Don't bring a pile that won't spin the tires - most everything else can be dealt with on tour

Comment

Sun screen, Beer, and money for gas and beer. You can only carry so much beer at one time.
      OH YEAH
      Long haul 07. 08. 10, 11, and 13. Looking forward to 2014

Comment

Make sure that the cooling system can handle being stuck in traffic for one or two hours at a time. Lots of traffic jams. I agree on the sun screen. Nothing worse than getting burned on the first day and then trying to make the rest of the week.
        1964 Chevelle
        Power Tour 2004-2008, 2013, 2015-2016, 2018
        LH 2005-2008, 2015-2016, 2018

Comment

Carry hard to find parts for your that you know are hard to get when at home.......i.e. rocker arms, wheel bearings( you would be surprised where you breakdown at.. what they wont have and how long it would take to get it....geographical oddities)......spare water hoses....these where various parts fellow Power Tourers couldnt get.....of course this is if spare room permits it.....
          That steely eyed look I had behind the wheel was me trying see..........

Comment

Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post
            Don't bring a pile that won't spin the tires....
            That is kinda harsh....Does that mean we can't go anymore??
            FKA Redragtop
            (formerly known as)

Comment

Sun screen, parts, tools, gas money, cooler, snacks, alarm clock, leave spare room for all the things you will collect on the tour, drive the crap out of your car before going. This way you might work the bugs out before you leave.

Comment

Whatever car you plan to take, put at least 1,000 miles on it before the tour. IMHO cooling is probably the number one issue.
                Jim & Maureen
                There is a fine line between hobby and obsession and I think I crossed it!!
                HRPT Long Haulers 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 & 2013

Comment

Agree on the cooling system!!

I'm going to take a different approach next time........ No Tools, no parts, no spare tire, take one extra quart of oil, leaves more room for important stuff.......

Have not open my tool box in two years, spare tire was actually flat this year, I did add one quart of oil, trunk was full of stuff on the way home.......

Sun Screen..... There's a good idea!! Wish I would have thought of that one!!
                  200WINS HRPT Long Haul 2008, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 Bettendorf, WI Dells, 15 Champaign, Madison, 16 OK City, Wichita, KC, 17 KC, Newton
                  Forum Freaks Road Trip, 2020 Kool Deadwood Nites, 2021 Southernmost Road Trip, 2022 Great Southern Tour

Comment

In this case I better get a truck, suburban or a trailer....lol
                    Originally posted by 383S-10 View Post
                    Carry hard to find parts for your that you know are hard to get when at home.......i.e. rocker arms, wheel bearings( you would be surprised where you breakdown at.. what they wont have and how long it would take to get it....geographical oddities)......spare water hoses....these where various parts fellow Power Tourers couldnt get.....of course this is if spare room permits it.....
                    HRPT 12 Miami and Stillwater, OK, 13 Arlington to Memphis, 14/15 Vetoed by Wife, 16 Long Haul, 17/18/19 motor fiasco

Comment

Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post
                      Don't bring a pile that won't spin the tires - most everything else can be dealt with on tour
                      A bring a car that is most certainly capable of spinning the tires........ But yet, she still refuses to participate in the PT without something extreme happening. Damn women!!!

I do agree with the cooling system.... Jade does run hot, but normally when she's sittting in traffic, not moving for an hour or so.
                      Last edited by Bucky67; June 28, 2013, 06:58 AM.
                      sigpic

"People Sleep Peacefully in their beds at Night Because Rough Men Stand Ready to do violence on their Behalf."
                      - George Orwell

Comment

I had so many parts and tools that it looked like the 57 had been lowered. Sad to say I used both tools and parts. I will need to do better next time. The car had only 1000 miles on it when we left and now has over 4000 so the HRPT was our shake down cruise.

Comment

Of my 8 long hauls, most years my test drive is leaving for the Tour. This year the Camino didn't have a motor in it, the Saturday before . . . test drive was to Dallas.

I say, go and have fun. Don't let anything stress you out. Some of the best times I have had are when I (or a friend) was broke down. It is also when I have met some of the nicest people.

I went one year without making any hotel reservations. Ended up getting 3 free nights from someone who had extra rooms.

Everyday there are ups and downs . . . DTB just rides the tops of the waves. Doesn't everyone do that on the Power Tour?

Oh yeah, and bring beer ! DTB
                          DTB - RETIRED

Comment

Is it ok if we bring Dr.Pepper, since i dont drink? I will admit i have a blast watching the ones who do. When do they post the venues? Im going to do my own reservation s.
                            Arlington, Texarkana, Little Rock, 2013
                            Long Hauler 2014, 2016, 2018
                            Kansas City 2017

Comment

Originally posted by Rocketman View Post
                              That is kinda harsh....Does that mean we can't go anymore??
                              Actually - I thought that was sort of polite

Comment

Working...
                              X