X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DanStokes
    replied
    Originally posted by pdub View Post
    Here's 8 days of work boiled down to 18 minutes. I'm humbled by the really excellent video nonhog posted on the subject above. That makes me realize how useless my videos are from an instructional standpoint. But I guess I can't instruct when I don't know about the subject, eh? At least with the camera and the video editing software I get to entertain myself while I'm working on something I don't know how to do, so...
    To the contrary. Somebody struggling thru the process is relatable and very useful to anybody trying a task for the first time. Besides, you're just SO darn lovable!

Leave a comment:

• pdub
    replied
    Here's 8 days of work boiled down to 18 minutes. I'm humbled by the really excellent video nonhog posted on the subject above. That makes me realize how useless my videos are from an instructional standpoint. But I guess I can't instruct when I don't know about the subject, eh? At least with the camera and the video editing software I get to entertain myself while I'm working on something I don't know how to do, so...

Leave a comment:

• pdub
    replied
    So I just got through putting in Red's carpet, however may days that's been. It fought me every step of the way, like it was made for some other model of Mustang or something. On the back panels going up to the backseat, forget it. Lumps and molded humps and I don't mean wrinkles, like what the hell. I'd never done carpet before When I threw it in the car the molded part fit the tunnel fit so well, I just started there and went in all directions with it. Well, I was just now vacuuming up the mess and getting ready to put the front seats back in and only then did I notice - the whole carpet is crooked, counterclockwise by about 20 degrees. No wonder it was such a dick to put in. All of those lumps on the back panel were supposed to be in the back CORNER where there are in fact lumps in the car. This is the view looking straight down the dash at the padded area underneath the pedals.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Crooked.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	1328583

Leave a comment:

• pdub
    replied
    Originally posted by nonhog View Post
    Just watched this video. Long but interesting on this very topic.
    That is a very good video on the subject! Loaded with facts and procedure. That's pretty much "it" right there. I've been filming for video on this job but now I realize that's been more for my own entertainment compared to that video. Thanks for posting it, I enjoyed watching the whole thing.

Leave a comment:

• nonhog
    replied
    Just watched this video. Long but interesting on this very topic. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnHbHJ1BQXA

I added sound (Kilmatt) and heat(Noico) to my DD Tundra after adding off road tires. Worked well! Still hear the tires but it's better!

Leave a comment:

• CTX-SLPR
    replied
    I used a cheap soldering iron to fuse the carpet where I poked the holes for bolts and such through to keep it from fraying around the penetration.

Leave a comment:

• 2020 mustang
    replied
    Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post
    I was ASSUMING that the wood was a replacement for the rear seat back which creates a separator between the trunk and the cabin area. Typically the noise is coming through the floor and quarters. When I did the wagon, I did the inside of all the external sheetmetal - doors, quarters, floors, firewall ....
    I know your are not redoing the entire car but the way I understand the sound deadening stuff - it keeps the sheetmetal from vibrating/transmitting noise. I doubt (and am often wrong) that the wood is actually causing the noise itself.
    I don't know about his Mustang, but mine, the factory seat backs fold dowm to allow you to put long items in the trunk and pass through to the cabin.
    There isn't any factory metal panel behind the seats , like in say a car with a seat that doesn't fold down, Regal, caprice for example.
    He could line the back(trunk side) of the wood with a thin sheet of metal and then put the matt on it.

Leave a comment:

• oletrux4evr
    replied
    I use a beveled (not sharpened for my own protection) bolt. Screw it in, let it punch through or help it with a rubber mallet, then screw it out as you bolt the seat back down.

Edit: By beveled, I mean cone-shaped, but flattened on the end. Easy to do on a bench grinder.......the biggest advantage to this method is the bolts will keep the carpet in place as you replace them with the correct bolts, and they put the seat in the right place as well..
    Last edited by oletrux4evr; November 4, 2022, 08:57 AM.

Leave a comment:

• pdub
    replied
    I've found that when I get the carpet where I want it it's easy enough to push down on the carpet and make the studs poke through. Maybe I'll enlarge the hole in the carpet around the stud, maybe I won't.

Name:	100_0055.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	150.0 KB
ID:	1328471

For the places where a push pin goes through the carpet, I cut a piece of brake line long enough to go into the hole and stop and I'll push down on the carpet to make a hole for the push pin. Is this something I invented or it this something like what everybody's been doing for hundreds of years?

Name:	100_0056.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	1328472

Name:	100_0057.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	1328473

Leave a comment:

• CTX-SLPR
    replied
    I have to say that doing the insides of the quarters did wonders on the Riviera for quieting down noise and that was even with having no backseat or divider in for a while. Definitely going to do the roof and the trunk when I get there. Have to try to keep the heat out too as I'm basically running an AC compressor from an early 90's Civic so it's capacity is kinda limited for the size of the glass house and I live in TX now.

Leave a comment:

• 2020 mustang
    replied
    Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
    If it doesn't want to cooperate(Wrinkles) Use a blow dryer to warm the carpet in small areas.... NOT A HEAT GUN as a heat gun will melt and scorch carpets!
    Or put carpet in sunlight on driveway, once warm, into the car with a sound deadner roller and some muscle.

Leave a comment:

• silver_bullet
    replied
    If it doesn't want to cooperate(Wrinkles) Use a blow dryer to warm the carpet in small areas.... NOT A HEAT GUN as a heat gun will melt and scorch carpets!

Leave a comment:

• pdub
    replied
    The large mass of woven material which will eventually become the carpet has been moved into the general vicinity of the inside of the car. I think I heard it say, "Nyah nyah nyah, you thought I would just go right in there, didn't ya?" More days for sure.

Name:	100_0054.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	1328440

Leave a comment:

• 2020 mustang
    replied
    Fat Mat. I have used it, it was cheaper than the dyna mat, but not by much. worked good. been in the vehicle 10 years or so.

Leave a comment:

• pdub
    replied
    Well, there it is. An ugly but very effective fix for the mess I made with that piece of wood. It's now really solid, it'll never rumble and rattle again. I LIKE it. My only concern is, when I take Red to the Concurse Duhlegance car show, will they make me open the trunk as part of the judging?

Name:	100_0051.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	1328366

And after 4 days of silver sticky rubber panels I nearly forgot (and Unit DID forget) why I even flew into doing all of that. The next step is another thing I've definitely never done before. Thanks to the YouTubers, I think I can do it...

Name:	100_0052.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	1328367

Leave a comment:

Working...
X