No announcement yet.

Remy's '81 Mirada CMX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That's how it goes though. My old '87 Monte SS was sold, and when I tried to buy it later, I found out it had been horseshoed around a pole. Sad end to a sweet car.
    Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

• even with the bashed in rear quarter i tryed to buy it back but the junk yard would not sell the car even after i offered way more then what they could ever part it out for.

it was nothing special but it was grandma fresh with only 57,000 miles when i sold it.
      Originally posted by Remy-Z;n1167534
      Congratulations, man. You've just inherited the "Patron Saint of Automotive Lost Causes" from me. No question.

75Grand AM 455:Pissed off GrandMA, 68 Volkswagen Type1 "beetle":it will run some year

Comment

• Picking up tomorrow, 11:00 am. Can't wait. Getting the full list of mods at that time. Let's hope that this engine lasts longer than the other one.

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

• got my fingers crossed for you
          Originally posted by Remy-Z;n1167534
          Congratulations, man. You've just inherited the "Patron Saint of Automotive Lost Causes" from me. No question.

75Grand AM 455:Pissed off GrandMA, 68 Volkswagen Type1 "beetle":it will run some year

Comment

• maybe tie some helium balloons to your right foot?
            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
              maybe tie some helium balloons to your right foot?
              have you seen his feet? you could tie the Hindenbergh to his feet and it wouldnt help....
              If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

• The Mirada Lives!

It's actually running.

Picked up this morning. Engine is snotty, love the cam. Trans is tight, won't hit 3rd until 50mph. I need to raise the rear a bit, replace the starter and do the oil flushes. Later, new rockers and a call to Firm Feel for a steering box.

And need to pretty it up. Car is UGLY. Damn!

Comment

• Sounds healthy.
                  Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

• Yup .... very responsive, I like!
                    Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

• sounds great, should be fast with all that metal removed. Some people dip mopars to make them lighter, you simply leave it in Seattle and let it rust naturally
                      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Nice
                        There's always something new to learn.

Comment

• The first 500 miles...

So far, the car has been rather easy live with. It starts right up in the morning, warms up rather quickly, and drives just fine. It's even more comfortable than the Mustang is on highways. Something I hadn't noticed before the car went into storage, the Subaru seats are more comfortable than I remember.

The engine still feels tight, transmission still shifts as hard as ever. The exhaust note is still strong, and I haven't really noticed anything out the oil changes. I still need to get the new rocker shaft assemblies and pushrods. The front suspension is settling nicely, but I'm still pretty sure that I'm going to have to do an altitude adjustment before everything is completely settled. I am not sure if I need to have the rear leaf springs rearched or if I'm just going to do a shackle kit in the back. What I am damn sure, however, is that the steering box is absolute garbage. There is at least 20 degrees of play in the steering.

Next, I am going to make car more respectable looking. I am going to clean up the welds, grind down the rust and by the end of summer, shoot it in primer.
                          Last edited by BangShift McT; May 17, 2012, 06:19 PM.

Comment

• Can you adjust the lash on the Mopar steering box? Cheaper and easier for the time being ....
                            Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

• Originally posted by Bamfster View Post
                              Can you adjust the lash on the Mopar steering box? Cheaper and easier for the time being ....
                              X2.
                              BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• I'll look into the steering box adjustment. Didn't know that was possible.

Friday I tried to drive the Mirada into Seattle. It didn't work out well, and after sitting in traffic for what felt like hours (realistically, about 35 minutes) the car got hot enough to puke and shut down. I let it cool, refilled the radiator and took it home. I looked it over on Saturday, and discovered that the clutch fan had finally called it quits. That's ditched, now it's sporting a flex fan on a 1" spacer. Problem one solved.

Second, I finally went foot-to-floor with the car. Bad. About 4900rpm the car would start shuddering like Michael J. Fox getting bad news. A little carb tweaking here and there livened up the response, but on it's second trip out, it still shuddered. Back in the driveway, my stepdad noticed the problem: the PCV line was collapsing in on itself. Changed out the hose, and not only does it finally accelerate like it was meant to do it, but the fuel mileage easily doubled. I've taken it back and forth from about Tacoma to Everett a couple times, it's pushing close to 18mpg right now, at about 70-ish MPH in flowing traffic.

Sunday I took the heat gun to the car and got rid of the remaining backing tape from the side rub strips, then sanded and shot the areas in red. From a distance (at least a football field) the car's forward 2/3 looks very good. Still need to work on the back-roof area.

Comment

Working...
                                X