1979 Mercury Capri

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
    Russell - It's obvious that you don't live in the Rust Belt. Everything rusts solid. For the longest time I couldn't see the need for Loctite.
    What exactly is this "Loctite" you speak of Dan?

I jest of course. But I'm don't see where you would use it on suspensions.
    Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• Originally posted by Russell View Post
      Well I hope he comes through for you. A good wiring harness has some worth and he can scrap the rest so I guess its a win for him I know its a WIN for you. Take $2 and go buy a loto ticket see if that good luck is still hanging around.
      Yes - scrap on the carcass of the body is probably 150 - 225.
      If I wanted a wiring harness - I'd surely want to pull it myself, same goes for the dash - so - I think he's happy.
      If he can find buyers for the glass, front / rear fascia - good for him. I've got what I wanted and as long as he holds up his end, I've got $0 and about 8 hours work into an entire EFI 302/aod/8.8 power train, harness, and computer.
      There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Swaping gears is out side of my skill/tool set.

The question: Is a 7.5 with fozzy locker asking for trouble?
        Simple answer..yes..

Complicated answer.. No..

Which do you wanna hear?

Comment

• it's asking for trouble on the street with slicks in the rain... grin. I'd do it, but I'm messed up in the head. If I ever get to the T-bird, I'll let you know. That is exactly what I was gonna do with it since I couldn't find a spool.
          Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

• Right now this a track only car. I want to take it to the 1/4 and see what it will do with a 3.73 or 4.10. I may put some DR's on it. So no worries about street/turns/rain.

What are the odds it will survice me beating on it for a dozen or so 1/4 passes and still be able to drive onto the trailer under its own power?

Which would you pick 3.73 or 4.10?
            Last edited by Russell; November 9, 2012, 09:14 AM.
            http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
            1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
            ​​​​​​

Comment

• I welded the first set of diff gears in Seth's 10 bolt in his chevelle - it survived a lot of street miles, I don't know if he ever put it on the strip with slicks before he changed the set up.

I also ran welded gears in the ranger 7.5 - but never made a good pass due to other issues.

With your mostly stock engine favoring the bottom end of the RPM range - I would go 3.73.
              There's always something new to learn.

Comment

• Don't forget I still have the DR's from the Camaro available. We just need to switch rims.

Dan

Comment

Don't forget I still have the DR's from the Camaro available. We just need to switch rims.

Dan
                  Great! We can talk about them when we set everything for next weekend. (I left you a voice mail on your cell phone)

Have fingers crossed emailed a guy on Craigslist about an 8.8 3.73! Hope its not sold already
                  Edit: Got the call hope it checks out! Going 8.8 hunting tonight! fingers crossed it will check out!
                  Last edited by Russell; November 9, 2012, 02:25 PM.

PB 60' 1.49
                  ​​​​​​

Comment

• How many tenths you think I can knock off going from 2.47 to 3.73?
                    Last edited by Russell; December 3, 2012, 10:49 AM.

PB 60' 1.49
                    ​​​​​​

Comment

• All of 'em if that little rear blows up! Is the 8.8 a bolt-in?

Dan

Comment

All of 'em if that little rear blows up! Is the 8.8 a bolt-in?

Dan
                        As far as I know the 8.8 is a bolt in. Other than having to transfer brake line from 7.5 to 8.8. Axels and brakes are also interchangable. I might pull the axels on the 7.5 and leave brakes on car and use my existing rear brakes.

PB 60' 1.49
                        ​​​​​​

Comment

How many tenths you think I can knock off going from 2.47 to 3.73?
                          Wouldn't know tenths. But will have reduced wheel hop if you add the sway bar too!

Comment

• It has a rear sway bar now but much smaller. The front bar is tiny swell what happens if the rear bar is bigger than the front?

PB 60' 1.49
                            ​​​​​​

Comment

• big time oversteer - use the smaller bar in the rear that came with it would be my suggestion... good deal getting one already set up! I was mathing it out on Friday and thinking the 4.10's in OD might work out if you have the hp to pull it. It'll be interesting to see if you have enough steam to get it past the 4th-5th shift. Mine didn't have enough with 3.08's to get it into the torque curve and so 4th and 5th worked out about the same MPH.

In the quarter, I'm betting .4 - .6 or better, it should be pretty huge difference. That and drag radials, I wouldn't be surprised to see .8
                              Last edited by Beagle; November 11, 2012, 08:52 AM.
                              Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

• Hopefully I will not have much oversteer on the dragstrip. i think the rpm drop to 5th would slow it down and not really needed it anyway. Last time at the strip best pass it went 102 With a 26" tire 3.73 = 4950 rpm 4.10 = 5440 go to 5th drops to 3700. Rather have 3.73 in an 8.8 than 4.10 in a 7.5.

PB 60' 1.49
                                ​​​​​​

Comment

Working...
                                X