No announcement yet.

1985 Monte carlo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need to know if I can drill and tap this hole. The original 305 was, this 74 817 400sbc isn't.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

Comment

I would say yes as we mount our cradles to it ...
      That is the 2 holes just above the pan, right?
      Same pair on other side..

Comment

Comment

Transmission linkage hitting the headers. Very badly at that. I want to keep it column shifted but its going to be a pain because the tri-y headers have the back tube connect into he collector where the column linkage should be.

Comment

Originally posted by kyhunter89 View Post
            Transmission linkage hitting the headers. Very badly at that. I want to keep it column shifted but its going to be a pain because the tri-y headers have the back tube connect into he collector where the column linkage should be.

Doug's Tri-Y's were designed for a different chassis, early chevelles. Check their website for notations about fitment issues. Their Impala headers only work on with cars without power steering which idiotic because 90% of Impalas had power steering.
            BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

these are g-body headers, came off a 78 malibu. Which most g-bodys are cloumn shifted. maybe they think non-ac, powersteerin, floor shifted race cars run headers.

Comment

When it comes to headers for Gbodies there arent to many choices.......I used Flowtechs from Holley on my Regal(406 sbc).....I been pretty satisfied with them but if I had to do again I would have them ceramic coated to maintain a nicer finish on them......they are designed to fit around the passenger side bend on the G-bodies......I have no column shift linkage to compare to since it was gone when I aquired mine and I installed a console with a B&M Magnum pistol grip in it.......
                That steely eyed look I had behind the wheel was me trying see..........

Comment

Originally posted by kyhunter89 View Post
                  my 85 monte carlo had a different bracket setup than my older cars have had. One bolted to a hole in the drivers side front of teh block than my current 74 400 doesn't have. Im lost as to how the brackets were for one, i have serious memory issues. I've got Tri-Y headers that turn down and back as soon as they come out.

I think the older bracket setups had the bigger ac compressor
                  Now on my 400 sbc I got a serpentine set up off of a V-6 Blazer and bolted it up after sand blasting/etching primer/paint..............

Comment

As good as that looks I'm one bolt hole away from the old setup working and I have a full machine shop to work with. lol.

Did you steal the compressor with the setup or change the pulley to serp pulley?

And after mines running, I plan on dropping the car to about the height yours is.
                    Last edited by kyhunter89; August 31, 2012, 08:01 PM.

Comment

I grabbed everything off the Blazer.......a/c, power steering, alt, pulleys, tensioner, and brackets and bracing.........oh here how mine sits....................before

After spring cut by BBO Javelin on here............

Comment

Mine sits taller than yours did stock. Did you not touch the back? what size tires you have?

Comment

No I didnt touch the back but it came with air shocks on the back so I let out some air when Jake (BBO Javelin) cut the front springs on it for me.......my back tires are 255/60-15 Mickey Thompson S/T..........

Comment

your regal seems to have sat about how my monte did

and my Grand Prix

both where stock F41 cars
                            Originally posted by Remy-Z;n1167534
                            Congratulations, man. You've just inherited the "Patron Saint of Automotive Lost Causes" from me. No question.

75Grand AM 455:Pissed off GrandMA, 68 Volkswagen Type1 "beetle":it will run some year

Comment

Im working on making mine handle better......I just recently scored a 36 mm sway bar off 1987 Firebird(non-Trans Am) but it had the leather pouch on the passenger side but no fire chicken on the hood..........anyways I plan on getting to Jake's to sandblast and have it powder coated to install......will pick up the Energy Suspension end links and 36 mm mounts to install it..........

Mater what your plan on your cars?
                              Last edited by 383S-10; August 31, 2012, 10:21 PM.

Comment

those two are long gone sadly the 82 Grand Prix LJ Brougham Diesel (had a 350 oldsmobile when i got it) was stolen from my high school parking lot back in 2005 and the monte carlo CL had no trunk floor or rear frame rails some guy bought it to turn into a SS clone have not seen the car sense
                                Originally posted by Remy-Z;n1167534
                                Congratulations, man. You've just inherited the "Patron Saint of Automotive Lost Causes" from me. No question.

75Grand AM 455:Pissed off GrandMA, 68 Volkswagen Type1 "beetle":it will run some year

Comment

Working...
                                X