Get in the van man!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Get in the van man!!!

I picked this 1989 Dodge Camper Van up on the weekend. The plan is to use it when I go to work. I have under a month to get it prepared. The main challenge will be the -40C nights, so insulating is job #1.

The roof in the back bathroom is not upholstered, so a good place to start. Its super windy tonight and this little bit of reflective insulation cut back the drafts.

Once the bathroom is complete, I'll need to limo tint the windows in the living area and then probably insulate them shut for the winter.
    Last edited by 68 Valiant; November 14, 2011, 07:24 PM.

Saa-weet!
    Formerly Shannon (aka: HillbillySailor). 2549 posts.

Comment

-40 nights? samsonite that!!!
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
        I should mention that I will build some sort of divider behind the front seats, a curtain of sorts, and the bathroom has a door. This will cut back the area I am trying to heat drastically. I have a propane furnace and should have constant 120V power, so I can run an electric heater. I think my sleeping bag is rated at -35C.

Comment

Creature comforts will include a microwave and George Foreman grill. I have an indoor/outdoor thermometer that I want to install. The rooftop antenna is rattling in this wind so it will be removed and any holes filled accordingly.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
            I do have to ask...where in the hell are you going to be working at anyway?? I didn't know they allowed vehicles in Antarctica...
            Last edited by HillbillySailor2; November 14, 2011, 07:42 PM.
            Formerly Shannon (aka: HillbillySailor). 2549 posts.

Comment

Originally posted by HillbillySailor2 View Post
              I do have to ask...where in the hell are you going to be working at anyway?? I didn't know they allowed vehicles in Antarctica...
              The oilsands of Fort McMurray (aka Fort Crack, aka Fort McMoney) I like the second alias!

Explore National Geographic. A world leader in geography, cartography and exploration.

Comment

Dang... I remember my dad talking about Ft McMurray when we lived in Edmonton and how nasty it was there. Stay warm dude, I had enough of the cold wind in Edmonton. 0 F and windy here in C-Springs is bad enough.
                Central TEXAS Sleeper
                USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Stay toasty, my friend. Still, I suppose it's wise to go where the money is.

Dan

Comment

Oh, that was relfective insulation, lol, I thought at first it was rattle snake skin wall coverings Thought maybe you picked this van up in Texas! That reflective stuff works pretty good though, I have it on the floors and trans tunnel of my Buick to cut down on the heat coming through and it was a night and day difference.
                    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Love them Vampers..

Stay warm.
                      Neal

Drag Week 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                        Stay toasty, my friend. Still, I suppose it's wise to go where the money is.

Dan
                        The money is part of the reason for going but I also want the experience. Seeing in person or working on something in person is a lot different then hearing or reading about it. My experience in India taught me this lesson. We have all seen it in books or on TV but until you have been there and heard, smelled,tasted, and felt India on your skin you don't grasp the whole idea. So I like experiencing the adventure.

Progress tonight was minimal. I ran out of insulators tape but did mount the carbon monoxide detector. Its dark out, I don't want to work outside. So I called it an early night. I'll stop at the hardware store and buy some tape on my way to the gym.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
                          Oh, that was relfective insulation, lol, I thought at first it was rattle snake skin wall coverings Thought maybe you picked this van up in Texas! That reflective stuff works pretty good though, I have it on the floors and trans tunnel of my Buick to cut down on the heat coming through and it was a night and day difference.
                          Its better than I expected! You can just feel the heat off a dinky 12V light getting reflected back in. I almost wanna do the whole interior in this stuff.

Comment

In a van down by the river... Always did like the idea of sleeping in a van while traveling, made a lot of things easier.

Now, as for that -40 degree temp thing...dude. Even wildlife will look at you weird...

Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

Originally posted by 68 Valiant View Post
                              The money is part of the reason for going but I also want the experience. Seeing in person or working on something in person is a lot different then hearing or reading about it. My experience in India taught me this lesson. We have all seen it in books or on TV but until you have been there and heard, smelled,tasted, and felt India on your skin you don't grasp the whole idea. So I like experiencing the adventure.

Progress tonight was minimal. I ran out of insulators tape but did mount the carbon monoxide detector. Its dark out, I don't want to work outside. So I called it an early night. I'll stop at the hardware store and buy some tape on my way to the gym.
                              Tell me more about the India experience (offline if you want). My wife is from India and I really enjoyed/appreciated my time there.
                              Central TEXAS Sleeper
                              USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Working...
                              X