No announcement yet.

62 Chevy II AF/X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't have another blower, but I have almost everything else for the drivetrain.
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

That's cool Jim. I like those C II's. Have you seen the Wilshire Shaker that Magnante built in Hotrod mag? Moly cage will be expensive and for the price, not that much weight savings. 1 5/8" DOM is the way to go. The good part about that car is you still have trunk and back seat space so you don't have to pull a trailer. Keep posting picks.
      Go ahead, pull my finger.

Comment

I'll probably be confused if there's not a couple of Holleys sticking through the hood... but I'll wait for the reveal.
        Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Looks like the metal for a CM cage costs about twice as much as mild steel. The labor is the tricky part. I never did learn how to TIG...
          My fabulous web page

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
            Looks like the metal for a CM cage costs about twice as much as mild steel. The labor is the tricky part. I never did learn how to TIG...
            my daughter is learning....and can lay a pretty good bead...should be certified next year. Just gotta have the welder...
            If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

For my Anglia project I bought a Jegster roll cage kit in mild steel. Pretty inexpensive especially if you can weld it together. I tacked it all together, but I had to pay someone to weld it up properly.

Comment

I went to Bisbee today and got some parts. Windshield, fenders, hood, filler panel below the grille, headlights, park lights, tail lights, upper right quarter panel section, gauge cluster, bumpers, etc. Almost all the used parts I needed to complete the car.

I also got to thinking about the front subframe, and how to make it work with the straight axle. There are kits you can buy that have a rectangular or round tube stub, they are set up for front steering, and kind of pricy. I was thinking of building my own like that...but then I took off the radiator support today, and looked at the original front frame rails, and they look like they're lighter and stronger than the stuff you can buy. So, I'm now thinking that the plan might be to strip the original suspension and inner fender stuff off the rails, and use them pretty much as they are. I'd add diagonal tubes to the upper firewall bolt holes, and probably make a crossmember to support the motor mounts. I guess I need to order an axle and springs, and get to work on it.
                My fabulous web page

Comment

I've done the very same thing on my 63 Lemans I sold, and a Falcon for a friend. Those subframe rails held the original stuff with only the fenderwells as support. So putting a bar from the upper firewall to the nose of the rails will be fine. Move the axle forward about 4" while you are doing it. Speedway makes a universal tubular crossmember with engine mounts on it, and it's cheaper then building it. Also almost everyone makes a cage for the chevy II in DOM if you don't want to bend one up. I prefer to do it myself so I can get it as tight to the roof as I can. Are you doing a tunnelram or single 4 bbl? I can't wait to see it taking shape.
                  Go ahead, pull my finger.

Comment

Two carbs.... I got some work done on the rear corner of the body, but there's a lot more to do. I welded the trunk corner back in, and put the shackle back in and put some weight on it. I spent some time cleaning up the quarter panel, took out the remains of the old inner wheelwell. I have more fitting to do, and I need to extend the trunk corner back a little where it was cut off. I need to put the B pillar back together also. And the bottom of the C pillar is a mess.
                    Attached Files
                    My fabulous web page

Comment

Damn you're working fast Squirrel, gonna be a cool project. Here are some pix of one that I took earlier this year at the Beaver Springs PA Gasser Nats. You can see in the last shot that he was workin it!

Attached Files
                      Rich

Drag Week Survivor 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013 - 2nd Place - Pro Street N/A, 2017

Comment

Saw this today, thought I would add to the pics

Hard Work Guarantees Nothing - Lack of it Does!

Drew Gerth - Newburgh, IN

Comment

Got to love those chevys with the ford thunderbolt hood scoops! You make this stuff look way easier than it is......
                          http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                          1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                          ​​​​​​

Comment

thanks for the pics! The yellow car has a lot of the build ideas I'm planning...interesting....

Do you know what's under the hood?
                            Last edited by squirrel; November 26, 2013, 08:16 PM.
                            My fabulous web page

Comment

Originally posted by Russell View Post
                              Got to love those chevys with the ford thunderbolt hood scoops! You make this stuff look way easier than it is......
                              Had a thunderbolt hood on a 77 Chevy truck at the same place.....don't get it myself
                              Last edited by 91CCFirebird; November 26, 2013, 08:32 PM.
                              Hard Work Guarantees Nothing - Lack of it Does!

Drew Gerth - Newburgh, IN

Comment

At the risk of sounding like either a smart or dumb @$$ I would say a dual quad 454.
                                http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                                1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                                ​​​​​​

Comment

Working...
                                X