No announcement yet.

55 Nomad RustFest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Man that is a lot of sheet metal to massage and rework. Props to you for jumping head first into a cool proect

Comment

I feel a little better about my car after reading this...you sir, are a brave man
      If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY View Post
        I'm really really enjoying this thread. What is it about saving one from the grave in a sensible way that just hooks me?

Awesome work!
        Speaking of which - anyone heard from Todd? I know he's been having a rough patch but hope all is well.

Dan

Comment

Removing old patch,,it was brazed.old school.
          Attached Files

Comment

Rusty patches came from old spare tire well that im not using..the radius was almost perfect..
            Attached Files

Comment

NICE! are you keeping track of how much welding wire and shielding gas you're going through? I didn't have this much reconstruction on the falcon - and I went through 2 11lb rolls of .023" mig wire. I have a feeling you'll double that and then some. Very cool! Great that the S10 gives you a stable platform with commonly available parts and front steer - are you going to keep the S10 steering box when you go to straight axle front end?
              There's always something new to learn.

Comment

I thought this was still the factory Tri-five frame?

Sedan delivery in the woods too eh? Interesting.....
                Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Have you considered manufacturing crocus cloth? (That's iron oxide on a cloth backing for those not in the know. Makes a very fine abrasive.)

Dan

Comment

My post was hard to understand at the top of the last page,,,I hate the look of the s10 frames,,so I found two back halfs of original 55 frame im welding in ..I have used 2 ,2 pound spools of .023,,not to bad.
                    Last edited by Ohio Paul; March 22, 2014, 05:20 AM.

Comment

I freaked out when I first saw her. Then I realized I cut the ass out of most cars anyway...you got this licked.

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

This thing is a prime candidate for a good coat of por15 followed by home made lizard skin or bed-liner type material over the top - are you planning on carpet?
                          or going full no weight gasser steel/aluminum interior?
                          There's always something new to learn.

Comment

I was thinking about the paint over rust thing,,some of the rear wheel wells, I dont think will survive a good sand blastin,THE RUST IS HOLDING IT ALL TOGETHER,dont use the por on fresh sheet metal tho,,it will peel right off,,i might replace those at a later date,,$300 EACH,,no carpet ,,mild steel trans hump ,,and alum.for the flat stuff..
                            Last edited by Ohio Paul; March 26, 2014, 01:32 PM.

Comment

The Grinding wheel is plugged with lead..That was where a old patch was brazed and leaded,,over top of factory sheet metal.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Chopped out the back half of the roton frame
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X