No announcement yet.

The Silver Buick's well Silver Buick!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Silver Buick's well Silver Buick!

I forgot to double/final check my fuel pressure before throughly warming the car up and after two test drives. It was sitting in the 30's, so I'm guessing as BBR predicted it could definately be off. So I'm thinking further tuning it isn't really practical until I know for fact what my fuel pressure is :-\ The two test drives have been interesting, I definately have it set too lean and I need to work out the accel enrichment. Getting lean backfires way to easily :-\ But I'm happy it runs and idles. I got the IAC to work, can't find the option though to target an rpm though, maybe I mis-understood.... In any case I'll give it a go again perhaps a bit in the morning before the Silver State Tech/Car show.
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

I still have a long ways to go but I got it so it starts relatively easily without touching the gas pedal no matter if the engine is cold or hot. I've been putting around town and it's still a bit rough around the edges, but soon I'll take the time to smooth it all out. One funny thing, when coming to a stop and I put the clutch in the rpm's drop pretty quickly like it's stalled but it catches itself it seems at the last second at idle :o :D I'm used to that feeling when the car was cold with the Q-jet and the engine dying if I didn't feather the throttle, so I've had to break myself of the habit of going for the throttle when the rpm's are falling fast. Pretty good stuff. The Idle Air control bypass is super loud on this thing, so I think I will try adjusting the idle screw to open up the throttle blades some and have the IAC close some to see if it makes the whistle go away.

Comment

It drives - way cool... keep us updated on the trials and tribulations.
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I took this quick video of it idling in the morning. I don't remember what the idle speed was when I made the video, probably around 900rpm. Tomorrow I'll open up the throttle plates some and back off the IAC to quiet it down.

Comment

Sounds like you got a Hoover upright mounted on top of that motor. Keep your hands clear.

Great work. My car still won't idle until it's about 140* even with the 850.
            BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rebeldryver
              I know what you mean! You know that feeling when you let off the throttle before it's warmed up and the engine is going to die? That's what this feels like only at the last moment it stops dropping rpm at the proper idle. eerie.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick
                I know what you mean! You know that feeling when you let off the throttle before it's warmed up and the engine is going to die? That's what this feels like only at the last moment it stops dropping rpm at the proper idle. eerie.
                I'd find that more annoying than it just stalling especially driving a stick. Shove it into nuetral, move left foot from clutch to brake, tap the gas pedal with the right; all while slowing down to a stop.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick
                  I'd find that more annoying than it just stalling especially driving a stick. Shove it into nuetral, move left foot from clutch to brake, tap the gas pedal with the right; all while slowing down to a stop.
                  Luckily for me the brake pedal on my car for stops the car pretty well pushing it just to about even with my gas pedal, so my wide right foot could sit on the brake pedal and feather the gas while the left was on the clutch. But now, I don't have to feather the throttle, I just have to remember NOT to try.

Comment

how's come we never hear about all these quirky keep-alive tactics when arguing EFI versus carbs? sounds like carb guys need three feet to drive a car that's warming up!!!

;D

(way to go Randal on the EFI project!!)
                    www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek
                      how's come we never hear about all these quirky keep-alive tactics when arguing EFI versus carbs? sounds like carb guys need three feet to drive a car that's warming up!!!

;D

(way to go Randal on the EFI project!!)
                      Hey now, if I didn't use the Performer Intake, or if I bought the edelbrock choke adapter I wouldn't be three footin it. When I had my Centurion engine in there I didn't have that problem because the stock choke worked. Same with my friend's '68 Camaro 327 4-speed, we got the choke to work and driving it first thing in the morning was way nicer. I was too cheap to buy the choke for a temporary carb. I don't know what Rebeldryver Scott's excuse is other than changing carbs ever week, lol.

(Oh yeah, Thanks )

Comment

Only one of my carbs has a choke, or even a choke horn for that matter. It's on the Caprice. I pieced together an electric choke from all my spare parts. I can drive that car right after it starts.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Hey Randal, I finally got over to the post office to send the fuel pump thingy. Hope it works for you.

;D
                          Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
                          1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
                          1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
                          1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
                          1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
                          1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

slushbox. Two feet is easy.

Ever hear of heel and toe driving (the sporty car guys used to talk about it)?
                              My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel
                                slushbox. Two feet is easy.

Ever hear of heel and toe driving (the sporty car guys used to talk about it)?
                                Yep, I learned heel-toe driving myself - it's for downshifting on the racetrack, not for keeping a clunker running before it's warmed up...!
                                www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Working...
                                X