1961 Olds 88 2 Dr Sedan sneak preview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 1961 Olds 88 2 Dr Sedan sneak preview

Couldn't leave it alone, detailed the dash, rubber dash pad is perfect, hooked up the antenna and have a working AM radio, only 2 stations though. Ripped out the rotten headliner and bagged a good sample of the material for later and bagged and labeled screws. Cleaned the windows and put the back seat in. All the wiring under the dash looks really good with no butchering. Heater needs to be removed for cleaning and a core later on. This has the low level heater, no vacuum parts to deal with, only cables.
    61 Olds 88, 69 Plymouth Roadrunner, 68 Pontiac Firebird, 95 Buick Roadmaster LT1

Comment

Heres an interesting and thoughtful tidbit of information I discovered while reading the factory service manual. GM left provisions in the seat mounting base and floorboards to either mount the seat an inch forward or backward from the stock location. You drill out the mount through the pilot holes already in there to move it back or drill out and tap the dimples in the floor to move it forward.

61 Olds 88, 69 Plymouth Roadrunner, 68 Pontiac Firebird, 95 Buick Roadmaster LT1

Comment

I finally made use of these family heirloom, period correct, Hudson Bay wool blankets that use to be on me and my older brother's beds when we were kids.

Comment

The blankets are great! Buicks had a similar deal on the seat mounts. Our dealership frequently fit cars to exceptionally small drivers. We'd move the seat forward on those cars so equipped and raise the seat with blocks as needed. Given that no place performs this kind of service anymore, I wonder if there is a business to be started doing this.

Dan

Comment

I've heard of people doing it it but the liability of relocating a seat in a modern car and having it fail in a crash would keep most people out of a professional business of doing it.

Thanks,
            Central TEXAS Sleeper
            USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

I'm guessing you would need a PE to sign off on the plans, and a good disclaimer - along with a good liability insurance policy.

Dan

Comment

I see these people putting the seats with the built in seatbelts and wonder if they have secured them to the floor enough to not have created an ejection seat.
                Central TEXAS Sleeper
                USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Wow....I like the look of the Rust Bullet. Looks like a really clean car.

Sweet car seat covers too :

Seth
                  200 mph or bust.......

Comment

Great car!

Your car and another one like it will make two that I've seen in my life.

Comment

So I'm thinking, that plastic gas can in front of the radiator isn't DOT approved. I'm guessing the condition of the gas tank is full of mud dawber nests like the rest of the car. Luckily I scored a nice take from a car I parted years ago that a friend still had . So I dropped the tank yesterday and suprisingly it was really clean with only a little laquer in the bottom. But it did have a baffle rattling around in the bottom. The sender also looked good. My "new" tank was really clean inside also but the sender had a little rust on it. So I gave the tank a good oven cleaner bath and a coat of paint. Went down to Pine Auto got fuel line, rubber and metal, clamps, and a master cyl. kit. So the tank goes in tomorrow if I can find a sending unit strainer/filter for a 3/8" pipe. The old one is split but I may try to repair it.

Comment

No Seth. That WILL NOT work on the 'Bu's trunk floor.

Dan

Originally posted by fahrenschnell
                        Wow....I like the look of the Rust Bullet. Looks like a really clean car.

Sweet car seat covers too :

Seth

Comment

You don't think so :

Maybe if I do 500 thin coats.... ;D ;D ;D

Seth
                          200 mph or bust.......

Comment

Actually, the tank is so clean I think I'll just clear coat it. I had to make a gasket for the sender but I found the strainer screen down at the local Chevy dealer, it fits alot of different stuff. I had to pay "max list ream" of 18.00 . I asked the guy if he took plastic and he said we'll take food stamps at this point.

I also won this NOS spotlight bracket on ebay , it's the driverside, saved about 35.00 off the current price. Now I can look for at least 1 spotlight to put back on the car.

Comment

The fun on this project faded today, for a short time. Running new rubber line through the frame wouldn't seem like a hard job.... unless the frame is packed with dirt. There s a 3/8" fuel line and a 1/4" return line. Weird thing, only the 2 barrel cars had the return line to relieve fuel pressure at the glass bowl fuel filter. I cleaned and undercoated the area under the tank. The tank is in, with a working sending unit that was bench tested, cars on the ground and turned around. Now I've got to do the front lines.

Now heres a really cool thing to find on a junkyard car, especially a low end model, 3:08, soon as I get this tank hooked up, I'm going to see if it really works!

Comment

Interesting find on the Olds return line logic. Buick put return lines on the AC car with dual outlet fuel filters up on the manifold. I slashed my supply line open doing an exhauste job and quickly reveted to running the fuel line over the frame for simplicities sake.
                                Central TEXAS Sleeper
                                USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Working...
                                X