Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Schtauffer's 85 Monte SS

Nice! I would be grateful.
    The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

Transmission is now in. Pedals are hung. Need to install the bellcrank, etc and modify the crossmember.
      The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

was at work thurs and I grabbed my Dial indicator, sorry I forgot to tell you.
        Reading , Pa
        Good Guys rodders rep.
        "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
        Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

Have not worked on this much this winter. I had like three colds in a row; I don't ever remember being this sick for this long. I'm finally over it (I think), cuz the good doctor gave me some happy pills and I feel fine.

Screw fabricating my own crossmember. Winter is almost over, I've been sick for the better part of two months, and it cost about the same to buy this crossmember as it would have to buy a tubing bender and some lengths of tube. I actually had the bender at home already, but took it back when I found this "Iceman" g-body crossmember on the g-body forum and maliburacing.com. It fits like a glove, I would recommend this crossmember to anyone with an a/g body. It is chromeoly and weighs like 10 lbs or something. Yes it is strong, I was hanging my slight girth off this thing and I could not tell that it was flexing.

Comment

Sweet install..........looking good
            8)
            Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

I need one of those! That looks good. My current cross member makes DF's hose clamp look like fine art! I'm hoping to make something nice up when I get somewhat proficient at welding. What do the ends at the frame rails look like? I'm thinking of doing something similar with square tubing and plate steel.
              Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

The ends are a piece of heavy angle with a fairly long slot. There is one bolt per side.

Comment

Nice work Gene - that's a nice looking crossmember there.
                  There's always something new to learn.

Comment

are you saving the stock crossmember or tossing it..?

Comment

The stock crossmember is stuffed away in the attic of my dad's shop, for safe keeping.

The crossmember that was in the Monte for the last 12 years was a modified unit from a 60's Impala. It's going in my 15-year-old nephew's Malibu wagon along with a TBI 350 from a C1500 and the 700R-4 that just came out of the Monte.

;D

Comment

The shifter is front by about 2" too far to line up properly with the console. I had a little trouble finding a shift handle that I thought would work ok, so I fabbed my own. It's not real pretty, but it will be covered up by a shifter boot anyway so that don't matter.

Randal, here is what the end of the crossmember looks like.

Comment

Thanks, I would not of thought to only use one bolt since the OEM's use two. Though I don't know why they would need two...

Comment

Iceman makes good products. I thought he stopped making the "lightweight" version though...
                            Si vis pacem, para bellum

Comment

Everything is pretty much done, still waiting on the driveshaft. Getting a little antsy...

Used a Lokar boot with stainless ring, painted the ring a satin black so it don't look quite so hillbilly.

Comment

That looks good!

Comment

Working...
                                X