1982 malibu wagon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 1982 malibu wagon

Broadcasting live from from the DWB studios, its DWB off his @** and messing with the wagon(sort of).

I finally ran out of excuses to tear into the engine and try to eliminate the chain noise in this POS

Crappy cell phone pics, but the timing chain was rubbing on the cast aluminum cover. More so @ the bottom gear. It looks like I didn't get the lower gear seated by 1/16 or so, but I'm still not sure that is enough to make it not rub on the top. I'm thinking real seriously about pulling a stamped one and putting it on here.

A.K.A. Brian
    Jack of many trades-master of none

Comment

Great to hear from you again!

That doesn't look like too much fun in chassis - did you pull the oil pan too?

Is the lower gear walking on the front of the crank or is the cover just not made right?

You're shop floor is way too clean - I see you used the chip flake stuff - how's it holding up?
      There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351
        Great to hear from you again!

That doesn't look like too much fun in chassis - did you pull the oil pan too?

Is the lower gear walking on the front of the crank or is the cover just not made right?

You're shop floor is way too clean - I see you used the chip flake stuff - how's it holding up?
        Thanks John

Yea I've been dreading pulling it back apart, but it's not like pulling a turbo or anything. I'm not sure if it walked or if I didn't seat it. I need to take a few measurements to see if the cover is deep enough, it always seems to be something eh?

I did not drop the pan, I have been told try it this way first by a couple real mechanics that I know. I suspect it will leak, and then I will drop the pan.

The floor is great, it is from Menards, which ever one says industrial on it. I used the clear and put grit in it. It does scratch some when dragging heavy chit around(like the bucket of the tractor) or if I forget to raise the 3 pt hitch when I back in with the tractor. Clean up is soooo easy.
        A.K.A. Brian

Comment

AND
          MUCH REDUCED DUST when it's time for you to start up your painting magic again! ;D

I've done a couple front covers without pulling the pan - it can be done without it leaking - even by an amature! hopefully yours doesn't leak, and - the noise is gone so you can start driving this wicked wagon!

Comment

well it lives,

I pulled a cover off of a 350 I have sitting around and measured the depth. The stamped cover was approximately 3/64 deeper. :-X So I cleaned it up, straightened it out, painted it, and slapped it on.....noise is gone. I don't see any leaks.....yet.

time to finish up some bumpers and the header panel! I picked up license plates for it today.....We don't need no stinkin inspection! ;D
            A.K.A. Brian

Comment

WELL DONE!

of course - we need photo's of the wicked wagon in action - or - at least outside in "finished" attire - and as always - burnout pics are welcome!

I just got a call from Rhonda - she got a $160 speeding ticket in Ohio - driving a rental Hyundai! >

Comment

Originally posted by milner351
                WELL DONE!

of course - we need photo's of the wicked wagon in action - or - at least outside in "finished" attire - and as always - burnout pics are welcome!

I just got a call from Rhonda - she got a $160 speeding ticket in Ohio - driving a rental Hyundai! >

OH crap sorry to hear that!
                OHIO sucks to drive through! 1/2 of all my "moving violations" were written in OHIO > they don't play around....... I never lived in or was stationed in Ohio either

I did do some burnouts :Dbut no one was home for the pics

I have not painted the noise yet, waiting to paint it with the bumpers. yesterday I pulled the bench and carpet and welded in the bucket seat mounts.....pics to follow
                A.K.A. Brian

Comment

easy to add buckets to any g-body. Go to a junkyard with a good battery drill, find a Monty Carlo and snag the seats. Then drill the spot welds out for the inside 4 mounts.

A.K.A. Brian

Comment

NICE
                    you're keeping the red interior right?

A friends dad had a vette - black with red interior - great looking combination.... until the red started fading when the car was like 2 years old!

Comment

yes the maroon will stay. I was going to re dye the dash while the windshield was out, but ran out of time. One day I will recover the front and rear seats to match better. For now even the carpet will get cleaned up and re-installed.

Wifey wants to drive it to work, the goofy doctors she works with think they are cool because they bought Harleys and paid someone to stripe it and change the seat bla bla bla........I would like to see the reaction to her pulling up in the wagon

Have a great 4th everyone!!
                      A.K.A. Brian

Comment

DWB now thats what Im talking about........are you gonna use a G-body console or build your own? Welcome back.........
                        That steely eyed look I had behind the wheel was me trying see..........

Comment

Thanks Dewayne

I hope to find a g-body console in a yard one day. I would like to find one with a floor shifter and tilt colum and snag all of it. no hurry tho.

I'm gonna cut up the rear bumper more today for my license plate mount....and fill in a few rust holes too ;D
                          A.K.A. Brian

Comment

HMMMM

I was thinking something like this

Does anyone else predict "obstructed plate" tickets in my future? ??? ;D
                            A.K.A. Brian

Comment

time to get rid of the whistling noise ;D

A.K.A. Brian

Comment

A bit-o-progress. I had visitors last week, 6 people in my house for 5 days....did I mention 4 of them were teenage girls :

On the bright side, I had the boat out 3 days in a row and it came home under it's own power every day ;D not bad considering it puked all of it's oil out of the oil cooler line last time out.....

What do you think about the black grill....I think I like it

A.K.A. Brian

Comment

Working...
                                X