No announcement yet.

Scott's 1967 GMC 1500 pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have the 1981 chevy truck shop manual. It covers the 89mm 4 speed transmission (the overdrive 833). In the section on working on the transmission, it refers to the lubrication section at the beginning of the manual for the correct lube. But that section has a nice chart with everything except manual transmission lubricants! it's a conspiracy.

maybe look for a mid 80s Chevy pickup owners manual?
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
      I called two GM dealers to find out what was recommended. Neither could tell me for sure.
      look for fluid that goes in the new venture series.
      No regrets.

it is upwards of 20 a quart however. (I am also putting some in a transfer case that had atf.)
      Nice to hear the running.. great project.
      Previously boxer3main
      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

• I found it. There's a guy who uploaded scans of all the 70s-80s chevy truck service manuals (!) and the 1983 lube chart shows that you use ATF in the 4 speed OD transmission.

Click image for larger version

Name:	oil.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	1060429
        My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

• AH HA! Thanks Jim!
          BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• The TKO series of transmissions (like the T-5's) recommend Dextron ATF as well. Doing online searches over the years, the reviews in the long term are mixed. I've opted to run Syncromesh fluid, which appears to be thinner than 80w gear oil, but not as thin as ATF. People trying straight gear oil say they notice the shifter resistance go up and the syncro's balk a bit, especially when cold.
            Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

• It doesn't take much to make an ATF required lube tranny balk while cold with gear oil added..

Comment

• Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                Can you get in there and measure the distance between the starter shaft, and the ring gear teeth? the 1/8" allen wrench trick. Or the 1/8" diameter rod that comes with most rebuilt starters these days. It works....

I've had the Mallory dual point out of my car several times and finally the advance is working the way I want. Be sure to get the screws really tight, that hold the advance mechanism (if it's the design where they can slide out on their own). loctite might be useful too.

Good to hear about the trans...interesting about ATF
                It is possible the curve plate slipped.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• Got me a $15 carpet I cut out of a 99 Suburban. Came out a little better than expected. I went to self serve car wash to clean it. Did a good job.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• Looks great - good choice.

Dan

Comment

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                      Looks great - good choice.

Dan
                      The suburban I got the carpet from had nearly the same color, if not the same, leather seats as the ones I have in my truck.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• Nicely done Scott -- that cab is looking very comfy.
                        Michael from Hampton Roads

Comment

• I'll call you next week and come up with a final configuration for the Volvo/Ford engine.

Dan

Comment

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                            I'll call you next week and come up with a final configuration for the Volvo/Ford engine.

Dan

Dan, we have a screaming deal on a discontinued 347. Forged pistons, and i beam rods, BluePrint's 190cc aluminum heads, custom hydraulic roller cam, Canton front sump 7 qt pan, MSD distributor and FAST EZ-EFI. Dyno at 443 hp/438 tq. We have one left.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• More project. Making kick panel speaker mounts on the cheap. Adding carpet to over the gas tank behind the seats. And, going retro and installing a mint 1976 RCA Copilot CB.

Not inly does the carpet quiet the drive but it also brighten it inside.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• cool retro CB! nice way to make it a period piece!
                                Patrick & Tammy
                                - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Working...
                                X