X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blew the t-case apart

I upgraded the front output to a 32 spline so need to get this machined

top gear, old, bottom gear new

hopefully I can get the machining done by Friday then reassemble on Sunday with a Tuesday reinstall....
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• machine work done, foretaste of tomorrow's plans

Comment

• I need to get this done, but ... not today... dang
        Instructions "grind a slot".... uh, how large? why?

it's so you can assemble the t-case - but no dimensions..
        but plenty of grinding

the point of the slot - so you can rotate the carrier into the case with the upper and lower gear sets in place.... now you know

it's kind of cool the engineering - the slot is so it clears the gear

starting to assemble and one of several issues.... in this case, the spacer is Wayyyyyy too thick

so that's one slight to JB Conversions.... the biggest problem I have with them is they, apparently, don't have a tape measure because there's a lot of "install with proper backlash".... ???!!!! or that slot.... no dimensions.... or explanation for that matter - like the shift rod - why the slot, it's once you start assembling that you see why - but it'd be soooo helpful to know that.... with that, it's not impossible.
        and it's kind of endemic for suppliers.... in this case, Novak.
        I like Novak - very helpful, nice looking stuff.... HOWEVER

the lip on the left shouldn't be there because you need to put a shim here - so no machined correctly at all. The second, on the right... I took the case apart and worried I had metal on metal wear.... but no, that's just the way they machined it.... sloppy. so tomorrow the parts from both JB and Novak go to a machine shop to get fixed....
        not really a complaint - they could do better but I'll still buy and recommend them.... but with a few warnings.

Comment

• the fun continues (and never ends)
          now with the right backlash

oh but we're not done, somehow this managed to increase in size so it wouldn't go into the case - whipped out the lathe and fixed it but still puzzled

half filled case

and now with shiny cover on half filled case

Comment

• I should be driving this tomorrow
            but first, center shaft

it was every bit the pain I remember from last time I did this

shiny bit installed

and pretty much ready to go in

almost in

Comment

• well, time to install

rear driveshaft in... silly me put the foot on the lift so it is in a direct line with the front driveshaft..

not done but at least it can move under its own power

Comment

• In today's episode of 'why is the driveshaft hanging up' I channeled my inner Project Wrong way by 'fixin' it

on the other side of the t-case, we had a leak... no more

and took it for a spin tonight.... works great.

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                  In today's episode of 'why is the driveshaft hanging up' I channeled my inner Project Wrong way by 'fixin' it

on the other side of the t-case, we had a leak... no more

and took it for a spin tonight.... works great.
                  Dumb question: How do you keep vegetation out of your gravel? I've had zero luck other then dosing it with Roundup several times a year (not worth the effort) and was wondering why yours looks so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

Dumb question: How do you keep vegetation out of your gravel? I've had zero luck other then dosing it with Roundup several times a year (not worth the effort) and was wondering why yours looks so good.
                    better living through chemicals. That said, what most don't see is every 5-10 years, we remove the gravel, wash it out, then replace it... grass can't grow where there is no dirt. Underneath all, the previous owner lay down grass block - thus most of what you see is about 6" of gravel over weed block (aka black plastic). We are about due to replace all the curbing and gravel... wooflippinhoo

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

better living through chemicals. That said, what most don't see is every 5-10 years, we remove the gravel, wash it out, then replace it... grass can't grow where there is no dirt. Underneath all, the previous owner lay down grass block - thus most of what you see is about 6" of gravel over weed block (aka black plastic). We are about due to replace all the curbing and gravel... wooflippinhoo
                      Probably more work than I'm going to do so I guess I'll live with what looks sorta like lawn with a gravel underlayment.

Comment

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

Probably more work than I'm going to do so I guess I'll live with what looks sorta like lawn with a gravel underlayment.
                        Ground Clear works but it's laughable how little of the "one year weed free" promise is actually true (maybe a month)

Comment

• and this will fade into the background for a bit.... I'm waiting for the control box I designed for the welder - so for now, time to wheel it

Comment

• In today's fun, I took my '40 for a drive last night to verify everything is working fine.. and it's not. It's overcharging (not terrible, but not good either), and now I have an oil leak. I didn't do anything in the engine compartment but oil leak... check

it's a weird spot - after all, there is no oil above it... then I remembered air cleaner... but no, it's dry

tightened up the valve cover bolts (and they were a bit loose) and throw some prayers at it

will take it for a spin tomorrow to verify it's fixed..... not sure

Comment

Working...
                            X