Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Official BS car hauler thread-stories/pics-post em if ya got em!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Official BS car hauler thread-stories/pics-post em if ya got em!

That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
      wow-thats a beauty too--glad i don't have to wax it though!!
      67 Fairlane 434 ci/464 hp/488 tq-RIP
      05 GTO torrid red/red gut, LS2, Auto (my knees hurt!)

Comment

Zapped that one at Lead East last summer.

Greatest ever...the Lagana's Ford.

Brian

Comment

WOOD[/size][/font]
          "IGNORANCE SHOULD BE EFFIN PAINFUL"

522 cubes on One Gun,doin' it on W's at full weight baby!

Comment

Cool stuff, Scott. Thanks for the history lesson.
            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by tiresmoke!
              The old C-60/65's......cool old trucks, but I'd swap the old 366/tall-deck 427's for a c-series Cummins with a Pac-Brake and an Allison auto trans in a heartbeat.

Swapping out the old leaf springs for something more comfortable, like say an air-ride cut-off from a class 8 tractor(Pete, KW and Freightliner come to mind) would go a LONG way to make the trips more enjoyable...not to mention easier on the equipment inside.

Grumpy's old transporter looks sweet...the period-correct tube-type Alcoas look neat, but I'd be more in favor of tubeless.

Seeing the built-in sleepers with crawl-thru access reminded me of some of the old trucks my dad has driven...all of mine have been either sit-down or walk-in.
              yeah, the 366 in my last one was a pig and I'm sure this one willbe the same. I don't know a thing about diesels except they make power and fuel economy, and these trucks needed them. Since the Jenkins truck had a 427, I have to assume there were no diesels available in these in that time period. where does one even begin to acquire everything you would need for a swap? that would make this thing deluxe!!

Don't know anything about the air ride systems either, interestingly, the big trucks, at least my last one with my Buick in it, didn't ride bad at all.

the wheels on my next one have already been upgraded to 22.5 tubeless, and I am HAPPY ABOUT THAT!
              The sleepers generally have crawl thru doors on the back side, although my friends in PA. does not, he ordered it without the rear sleeper door.

Comment

Do you know anything about the first one you had pictures of?

The door stickers remind me, I think....

Dan Perrin owned a speed shop here in Charleston, SC. Southern Competition Speed Shop. Mid/late 70's.
                He ran d/e/f Gas (old style, no tube frame), and later e/f Modified and some Super Stock.

He had a white chev/gmc box truck, wood floor, with a small sleeper.
                I vaguely remember the Dixie Rebels (S.E NHRA) sticker on the door, and I KNOW he won class numerous times over the yrs he raced.

It's VERY similar. .......just wondering.... ???

Comment

Beauty

that one is a beauty but the ones that look like delivery trucks arent very beautiful.....too each his own i guess :

Comment

it would look good with a saleen ranger sitting on the back too ;D

Comment

that one is a beauty but the ones that look like delivery trucks arent very beautiful.....too each his own i guess

actually, that is part of the beauty-no one knows what is inside, when parked away from a car event. makes leaving you prized stuff in a parking lot easier.

Comment

Originally posted by Caddyman
                        Do you know anything about the first one you had pictures of?

The door stickers remind me, I think....

Dan Perrin owned a speed shop here in Charleston, SC. Southern Competition Speed Shop. Mid/late 70's.
                        He ran d/e/f Gas (old style, no tube frame), and later e/f Modified and some Super Stock.

He had a white chev/gmc box truck, wood floor, with a small sleeper.
                        I vaguely remember the Dixie Rebels (S.E NHRA) sticker on the door, and I KNOW he won class numerous times over the yrs he raced.

It's VERY similar. .......just wondering.... ???
                        are you still in contact with him? the current owner/seller of that thing knows nothing about its long term history, just the foreign car shop that he bought it from, as he states in his craigslist ad. If you could ask dan, ask if his was a crew cab stick shift, and if he knows where it went from there. one of the weird things about that truck is, from the pics you can see there is some type of fuel tank located under the sleeper with a filler neck just inside the side door of the hauler. not sure who put that there, the current owner doesnt know squat about it, but I can tell you that wasn't an oleynik option.

Comment

Haven't talked to him in over a yr. He was retiring from TTC, and moving to Charlotte. I understand he still has some farmland nearby. I'll see if anyone knows what/where, and get back to you.

Comment

Scott - On the Diesel conversion, I'd buy a wrecked Dodge w/Cummins ISB, or a totaled school bus with a Navistar/International DT466. Both are tough as nails and fairly cheap. Remember, you'll need to swap rear ends, too, given that the Diesel just won't wind up there like an Otto cycle (gas) engine. Then switch everything. It'll all match and bolt together. Wiring is minimal and this shouldn't be a horrible swap.

Dan

Originally posted by stage1scott
                            Originally posted by tiresmoke!
                            The old C-60/65's......cool old trucks, but I'd swap the old 366/tall-deck 427's for a c-series Cummins with a Pac-Brake and an Allison auto trans in a heartbeat.

Swapping out the old leaf springs for something more comfortable, like say an air-ride cut-off from a class 8 tractor(Pete, KW and Freightliner come to mind) would go a LONG way to make the trips more enjoyable...not to mention easier on the equipment inside.

Grumpy's old transporter looks sweet...the period-correct tube-type Alcoas look neat, but I'd be more in favor of tubeless.

Seeing the built-in sleepers with crawl-thru access reminded me of some of the old trucks my dad has driven...all of mine have been either sit-down or walk-in.
                            yeah, the 366 in my last one was a pig and I'm sure this one willbe the same. I don't know a thing about diesels except they make power and fuel economy, and these trucks needed them. Since the Jenkins truck had a 427, I have to assume there were no diesels available in these in that time period. where does one even begin to acquire everything you would need for a swap? that would make this thing deluxe!!

Don't know anything about the air ride systems either, interestingly, the big trucks, at least my last one with my Buick in it, didn't ride bad at all.

the wheels on my next one have already been upgraded to 22.5 tubeless, and I am HAPPY ABOUT THAT!
                            The sleepers generally have crawl thru doors on the back side, although my friends in PA. does not, he ordered it without the rear sleeper door.

Comment

DT466 -- It'll get you there, but not quickly.

Good engines from the indestructibility stand point, but not warp speed generators. Spent lots of long days in straight trucks hammering on more than one.

Brian

Comment

I picked those as cheap/plentiful/tough. A Cat 3208 would be cool but pricey and requires that he find a suitable trans, whereas the Cummins or Navistar would come with one. And a truck with a car on it really isn't all that heavy - although it IS like pushing a house down the road, aero-wise.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                                X