Sound deadening material?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sound deadening material?

I'm replacing Red's carpet. While I'm at it I want to put back some new/more/better sound deadening stuff. Part of the old stuff stayed stuck to the old carpet so the best I can guess is that it was born 3/4 inch thick. I'm looking at products online, they are 80 mil or 150 mil thick. What's a mil? What product do you guys use and/or recommend?

Click image for larger version  Name:	P1020832.jpg Views:	0 Size:	131.2 KB ID:	1327802
    Last edited by pdub; October 23, 2022, 08:53 AM.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

I haven't worked with this stuff yet but my (imperfect) understanding: There are 2 kinds of product, a mat sort of material like Dynamat and similar, and a semi-liquid like Lizard Skin. "MIL" is a measure of thickness though (again as I understand it) more is not always better as some of the stuff is more effective than others so less thickness of the better stuff may be better than more thickness of the lesser stuff. I'm thinking the MP&C guy might have more info as I know they chose a product for the '55 Chevy wagon.

Comment

Thanks Dan! I was working right along and then I saw the stuff underneath the old carpet and I got hung up, full stop. They built the car around the original carpet. I had to cut it to remove it. There were two places where the original piece was continuous- connected on both sides going over the tunnel and underneath al of the stuff inside the center console. It's impossible to install the replacement carpet that way. I'm hoping to find something thick enough to help the side panels hold the new carpet up snugly on the sides...if that makes any sense at all.
      Last edited by pdub; October 23, 2022, 02:57 PM.

Comment

I assume a mil is a millimeter. Amazon has all kinds of sound deadening.
        http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
        1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
        ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Russell View Post
          I assume a mil is a millimeter. Amazon has all kinds of sound deadening.
          Well hey Russell! From what I've gathered so far looking, 120 mil equals 3 millimeters so it's some kind of a wacky term for "something." And yep, it's all of the stuff on Amazon that's got me paralyzed. I've watched some videos about Mustang carpet installation and I still don't know WTH to get. If it was free I'd just get some different kinds and play with it. I want to replace the old stuff and I want to treat the tunnel on the driver side which had nothing at all on it.

Comment

A mil is 1 thousandth of an inch. Yeah it's an old English unit. But sound deadening? Really? That's why we spend huge amounts of money to make the exhaust system louder! And rock concerts and races when younger without any hearing protection...

Being half deaf, and losing more every year, well SWMBO is used to me answering anything with a What?

You younger guys take care of yourself before you get old and decrepit like us older guys!

Comment

Originally posted by dave.g.in.gansevoort View Post

You younger guys take care of yourself before you get old and decrepit like us older guys!
              WHAAAAAT??? Huh?!?!?

And yep, I was waiting for some feedback along those lines - you win! When I deleted Reds rear seatback to install the roll bar I was amazed at how much louder it is. Now I can hear pebbles hitting the underside on clean pavement. I dunno, and at the same time Sue Unit's saying leave him like that (no carpet), make him be a race car (now that she's ridden in a a real race car). Mine is a complicated world at times...

Comment

I like FatMat but not sure how available it is anymore. If you use is sparingly (i.e. covering 1/3-2/3 of mainly just flat panels) you can get a decent way to keeping the sound down to OEM levels. If you're going full quiet than cover every square inch!
                Central TEXAS Sleeper
                USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Sue Unit put on her shopping hat and we researched and I watched a few product videos and we settled on ordering the 80 mil KILMAT stuff. Over n out. Thanks as always guys!

Comment

Buy car insulation direct from USA's supplier for the lightest heat and sound deadening insulation. You will not find a lighter automotive sound deadener!

Sorry I missed it, the stuff is so expensive. The real expensive stuff is closed cell, which will not hold moisture like the old stuff that just stayed wet and ate floors.

Maybe next time.

Comment

I've tried them all and even the 'cheap' Home Depot roll on stuff.... spray on ceramic coating is both easiest and most likely to reduce noise and heat to the inside. It's what's inside the Corvette and my FJ40. The FJ40 has bedliner over the top instead of carpet. The stuff works and works very well. So story to illustrate. When I did the '40, I didn't seal the center console to the floor - and always kind of wondered why the coating wasn't working - to the point that I'd have the windows down in the snow. Then I sealed the console.... now it's cold inside and I'm considering adding back the 2nd heater...
                      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I used lizard skin in my 54 ford wagon. The sound deadening is fair but that is tough to call because the wagon is so similar to a drum. If you slap the roof you do get a thud.
                        Solutions are often obvious once you get the questions right.

Comment

I spent untold hours scraping off 23 pounds of sound deadener off the bottom of mine, not sure what to tell you. :|
                          Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                            I spent untold hours scraping off 23 pounds of sound deadener off the bottom of mine, not sure what to tell you. :|
                            But did it make a lot of noise while you were scraping off all of the sound deadener? (My attempt at humor)

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                              I'm thinking you're saying "don't do it!"
                              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Working...
                              X