No announcement yet.

1970 Buick Skylark part II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nice.. but whats the pinion angle at.. did you set it after you added these adjustable uppers

Comment

• I made them equal .. -1 1/2 degrees at the transmission, + 1 1/2 degrees at the rear (or 3 degrees difference between the front and rear). Before I changed it, the rear was nose up at +1 degree, front was (is) -1 1/2 degrees.... as you can imagine, it vibrated quite enthusiastically.
      Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; May 4, 2011, 06:11 PM.
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• and the long-promised video

Comment

• Video doesn't work for me, says it is private...
          Still plays with trucks....

Comment

• Originally posted by ford141 View Post
            Video doesn't work for me, says it is private...
            x2!!!
            Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
            1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
            1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
            1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
            1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
            1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

• fixed, I think

and second video
              Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; May 27, 2011, 07:17 AM.

Comment

• That's one wild driveway. First a spirited run up and away from the shop, then a gauntlet of splits and curve-offs. Reminds me of the secluded seasonal roads in Michigan. Good reason not to get loaded and then drive home, might end up somewhere else!

Car sounds great. Love this build thread!
                Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• Originally posted by ford141 View Post
                  Video doesn't work for me, says it is private...
                  Originally posted by BBR View Post
                  x2!!!
                  I don't want to see a video of your privates... and the second says it's a repeat of the first one?
                  Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

• So, I've been driving it and finally got around to putting the repair plate on the oil pump.... helped pressure, still low at idle (12-14 psi) 900 rpm.... of course there's a punchline.... so now the rear main seal has went from an occasional drip to a nice little stream of oil.... and the decision making process is:
                    1) try to repair the seal in the car (may not even be possible)
                    2) pull the engine and fix the seal out of the car
                    2a) pull the engine and replace the main bearings since I suspect that's the main culprit of the low oil pressure.
                    3) while I'm in there...
                    4) figure that I don't need gps when I drive this car as I can always follow my trail home
                    5) rebuild the other 455.... the downside of this one is I planned on building the monster motor out of it (it's a 76 block) - but that build could happen while it's in the car

6) sell the damn thing... build a new Skylark without a roll cage

Comment

• I vote #6.

Oh, and can you help with shipping to Ohio?
                      Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• Originally posted by STINEY View Post
                        I vote #6.

Oh, and can you help with shipping to Ohio?
                        Don't you already have enough trouble with oil leaking VWs?
                        Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; June 6, 2011, 02:13 PM.

Comment

• so I ordered the viton seals.... I swear Randal and I need to buy the Buick exhaust gasket supplier - rather then supporting his Buick habit through our purchases.

Comment

• I've pounded on this thing for awhile (even with the oil leak), and I'm so glad I updated the rear suspension. So here is the final update of what I've learned.

1) The vibration is gone from lowering it because I can now adjust the upper control arm length.
                            2) There are no squeeks.
                            3) My biggest "issue" is the amazing axle hop the car has now - which actually says I have the car back to at least its factory stiffness. Before I did the upgrade, there was no axle hop - of course, it would launch right (A-body shimmy) if you hit it hard.
                            4) As for the internet prohibition about using poly front and rear on the control arms - it's not an issue. (you are right Bamf). The car handles very well and no longer does the A-body shimmy when you launch hard. I did some "jacking work" after everything was installed and there is plenty of flex to get into a parking lot without hanging a wheel. As for how it handles, it is flat in corners with just a bit of weight movement to give it better bite.... for those who wonder where the test happens - see my video of where I drive.
                            5) I know where the tire's limit of handling is now - so next, presuming I keep the car, I'll be upgrading to 17" wheels.
                            6) I've had the car on the lift a couple times now, and there is no cracking or deforming of the upper control arms but I'll keep an eye on it just in case.
                            Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; August 12, 2011, 07:32 AM.

Comment

• so what's this? new parts?

other block is at the machine shop, pistons are here.... so at some point this is going to stop the Spider for a few weeks so I can get my Buick running again.... of course, this might lead into Part III since now it appears I'm going to have all the pieces to build the car I wanted 7 years ago.

Comment

• Nifty. Going to clean up the ports on them? Check that the valves move freely, there are reports the valve guides on some batches are too tight.
                                Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Working...
                                X