Rusted beast (66 chevy C10)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rusted beast (66 chevy C10)

So I got all wrapped up in the $2500 CL starter car thread and got to thinking..... I use an 88 f250 for dump runs and general hauling duties. It is going to need some serious work and I am not in love with the truck, os why not get some thing cool.

This showed up on CL in Montana

1966 chevy 1/2 ton 283 SM420 trans and not much else going for it. I had a friend go look at it. His comments were not great but not bad rust for the east coast. I am convinced he thinks we dip our cars in the Atlantic every couple of months. This thing is gone. It has rot all the way up to the cowl.

I am in to beating dead horses.

We got the motor running. Changed out the soft parts and fluids. Fixed the lights and attacked it with 80 grit. I pounded as many dents out as I could reach. Welded up the mirror and bullet holes. Sanded the truck with 150 and shot it with Summit white sealer/primer.

Then I mixed 1 quart of flat white rustolium with 1 quart gloss white rustolium and got a surprisingly good coat. The top, bumpers grill and wheels were shot with an implement paint a buddy had lying around. Rust-x safety red.

I scrounged some used tires. Paid $80 for lugs and trim rings.

I am really happy with the results. Bearing in mind I have $750 tied up in the truck so far.
    That's what I did on the first half of my vacation.

Steve
    Well I have stopped buying stuff for cars I don't own. Is that a step in the right or wrong direction?

Re: Rusted beast (66 chevy C10)

not bad ;D ;D

Comment

I'm jealous.....Very Nice Steve...

Seth
      200 mph or bust.......

Comment

nice.... and useful
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

This is exactly what I plan on doing with my rusted out plymouth....very cool, you are an inspiration.
          If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Ahhhh the power of satin white paint. What is tough to see is all the dents and rust. The hood and the roof are the only semi usable pieces. Weird enough we looked at a 64 while we were out there and the guy just emailed me. It is in rough shape mechanically and doesn't have any glass but the sheet metal is ten times better. When I go pick up the truck in the fall I will be changing out the bed and hauling the 64 cab and front clip back. Things are going to work out it will just take a bit more work.

I was originally going to fly out in August and drive the truck to bonniville but other responsibilities have changed that. It looks like a September road trip.

Steve

Joe I was reading your post and thinking I should get off my but and post up the truck. ;D
            Well I have stopped buying stuff for cars I don't own. Is that a step in the right or wrong direction?

Comment

Originally posted by rightpedal

Joe I was reading your post and thinking I should get off my but and post up the truck. ;D

Hell yeah, I am tired of waiting...why the hell should I be 50 yrs old and jsut getting the car that I dreamed about since I was 7...screw it...slap it together and drive it!!! Let the rusted put beaters live once more..

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Speak the gospel brother Joe!!

Steve

Comment

It was a long weekend! I had to pony up some serious cash for surgery on the dog so lots of trips got canceled. The Montana trip was mostly paid for so that's the one chance to go and play this fall! I bought a 64 that sat since smoking the motor in 94. Some body took out some aggression on the windshield and side windows but other than that it's in pretty good shape.

The bed had about 2" of compost in it from the tree it sat under. The bed wood is/was toast.

The plan was to quicky swap beds. I ended up fabing up new bed wood on the quick out of 3/4 pressure treated.

Stripping the old wood and strips was easy but time consuming. Grinding all the heads off sucked.

A little time spent with the pressure washer and it looked even better. The thought at this point was to compeatly disassemble the bed and just save the bed sides. but ....

Some body did a great job of welding the thing together. Back to the original plan. Swap it out for the 66 bed and ad new wood.

The best option I could think of was to use 3/4 pressure treat ply. I was on a bit of a time budget, like one day.

I chose to cut out two 6' by 4' sections and set them tight to either end with the 1" gap in the middle. I used 1/4" by 1 1/2" bolts as opposed to 5/16 carriage bolts because the whole thing will need pulled apart again. When I redo it I will have the room to put in 5/16 carriage in and have them tight.

That was day one of this weekend. I am enjoying the orange bed and white body.

That was a long day!

Steve

Comment

DEFINITELY better steel on #2. Good call. And in Maryland you might get some idiot to pay you for the rusted out parts, which are likely to be better than what he has.

Dan

Comment

Nice truck. I was cruising through CL last night looking at 63 to 72 Chevy and Ford trucks. They are giving them away here. $1000 will get you a driver and $2500 will get one with many new parts.
                      BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

A truck right like that to go chugging around in would be great... best with a 292 and a 3 on the tree.
                        The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

Nice project Steve. Are you going to drive it back?
                          Tom
                          Overdrive is overrated

Comment

very kool
                            one of my fav year trucks
                            I grew up riding in my pops '64 that had his DZ 302 in still have the engine but my brother finished off the truck

Comment

My neighbor has a '63 in red oxide that he parks across the street. My first real repair job on another person's car was a engine change on a co workers 66 C10.

I like what you did on these.

BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X