Back to the Blue Oval

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Busy Weekend

Spent most of yesterday chipping off undercoating and general crud -- in the process revealing more unpleasantness. The front floors are in much worse shape than I thought, as are the toe boards.

Today, with much difficulty, pinched fingers and blue language, the side glass, tracks, regulators, sliders, electric motors and both vent windows were removed. Ford shop manual was mostly useless. Lots of install instructions but poor description of removal. I guess the feeling was any idiot could do it (and apparently I meet that standard...)

The power window mechanisms (regulator and motor) weigh a ton.
    Last edited by mlcraven; March 23, 2012, 05:01 PM.
    Michael from Hampton Roads

Comment

I remember having to change the passenger side manual regulator and it was a real P.I.T.A. I can imagine the power is alot heavier.

Comment

I contemplated leaving them alone, but the tracks are gunked up with crud and need to cleaned up and re-lubricated. The back windows were particularly bad, sticking and jerky.

As well, want to get some POR-15 along the bottoms of the inside of the doors and at the seams at the front of the rear wheel tubs.

One day there will be a post about how easily they all re-installed. (yeah, right)
        Last edited by mlcraven; January 7, 2012, 09:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CTX-SLPR View Post
          That Passenger side manifold looks nasty!! Didn't HRM buy some sort of cobbled together FE powered intermediate a few years ago and it had a much better set of factory manifolds?
          Might have been Car Craft, they turned a 390 Comet into a NASCAR clone and performed an engine hop-up. This might be the manifiold (easy-to-find in magazine-land but never in real life)
          Attached Files
          Last edited by mlcraven; January 7, 2012, 09:58 PM.

Comment

How I Spent (am spending) My Christmas Holiday

Motivated by Scott's latest Driveway Tech post (Floorboard Repair) I made myself busy today. Deconstruction (term I picked up from Chop Cut Rebuild) is now 95%, all that remains is to tear down -- ahemmm, deconstruct -- the front suspension.

Finished cutting out rusty front floors. Once the undercoat et al was chipped/scraped/wire-brushed off the rot was everywhere. So now the toe boards will be replaced too...good job the aftermarket has them. The test fit looks promising.

Dash is completely stripped and wiring harness out, including miles of power window wiring.

As for chipping, scraping and wire brushing the chassis, I'm calling it quits and settling for 'good enough'. The objective was to find out where the rust was and I succeeded. Without a rotisserie aching bones and muscles will take no more.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by mlcraven; February 16, 2012, 07:27 PM.

Comment

Hard work but this is the difference between "cobbled up" and "NICE CAR". You'll feel better knowing that what's under that carpet is right.

Carry On!
              Dan

Comment

That is a lot of work - most of which I have ahead of me on the falcon.

Where did you get your floor patches from? The fit looks good in pictures.

I don't think I need complete patch panels - but it may save me some time over starting from scratch.
                There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Yeah, I going to have to replace the driver's side floor on my wife's 69. It didn't look all that bad until I was under there snaking the new hydraulic brake line through the tunnel. Oh joy.
                  Last edited by Huskinhano; December 22, 2011, 02:47 PM.
                  Tom
                  Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
                    That is a lot of work - most of which I have ahead of me on the falcon.

Where did you get your floor patches from? The fit looks good in pictures.

I don't think I need complete patch panels - but it may save me some time over starting from scratch.
                    From Mac's; they're actually for the 66-67 Fairlane but work just fine. The catalogue also says they'll fit 68-69 Ford/Merc intermediates as well, but more massaging required. Even these are going to require some amount of tweaking to get a proper fit, but nothing that can't be done with basic hand tools in the garage.

Mac's has two catalogues: 1960-70 Falcon/Comet and 1962-70 Fairlane/1968-71 Torino. The Falcon/Comet catalogue has lots of sheet metal for 60-65 Falcons but nothing for Comets; the second catalogue has loads of Fairlane sheet metal, some of which -- fortunately -- works in the Comet line. No surprise, there are a lot of identical part numbers between the two catalogues, but what is odd is that sometimes the prices for the same part # are different between the two. What's up with that?

Anyway, just glad to have something that works...not inexpensive, but works. And yeah, the time-saving aspect of buying a decent quality pre-formed panel is very compelling.
                    Last edited by mlcraven; February 16, 2012, 07:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                      Hard work but this is the difference between "cobbled up" and "NICE CAR". You'll feel better knowing that what's under that carpet is right.

Carry On!
                      Dan
                      That's what I was thinking, Dan. I'm at that stage of life where the "for God's sake do it right" angel sitting on one shoulder is more persuasive than the "do-it-cheap and nasty" gremlin on the other. And thanks for the encouragement!
                      Last edited by mlcraven; January 7, 2012, 10:04 PM.

Comment

Defy Me, Will You???

Thought I'd just take a couple of minutes and remove the power steering cylinder.

"You think so?" it said to me. "Yeah, right!"

No disrespect to pigs, but it's being a real SOW. Gets to spend another night attached.

I start tomorrow with a trip to the dentist for a 0700 root canal. Undoubtedly that will put me in a sufficiently ugly mood to have another go.
                        Attached Files

Comment

I'm guessing that all you need is a bigger hammer. Or a gas wrench - take your pick but I'm thinking the gas wrench is more refined and subtle.

Dan

Comment

Those cylinders can be rebuilt - it's quite a puzzle but it can be done - a friend was talking through the procedure to me one day as I'm going to need to do that on my '69.... if you're keeping the power steering - you may not want to render that thing completely useless with any medieval torture devices - how ever tempting that may become.

good luck with the root canal.... yuck.
                            There's always something new to learn.

Comment

as I always have helpful suggestions - now would be a great time to swap to rack and pinion steering off a MII.
                              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

You can get brand new slave cylinders now, no reason to fool around with an old one for non show cars. Use a gear puller to pop it off the drag link.

I had root canal done once with out any Novocain! Didn't feel a thing because the root was already dead. I never had any symptoms, it was found during my 6 month check up when they took X-rays.
                                Tom
                                Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Working...
                                X