No announcement yet.

Back to the Blue Oval

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've sailed the Root Canal several times. Not my idea of fun but not as painful as the recovery from the current cutting. But it IS starting to heal up.

Let us know how both these projects (PS slave and root canal) work out.

Dan

Comment

Defy Me, Will You??? Part 2

Re sailing the root canal -- appointment # 2 tomorrow @ 0700 -- supposedly all the drilling that was done on the 23rd will make tomorrow's portion of the procedure a cinch. We'll see.

Second appointment with the PS slave cylinder occurred this afternoon, yielding the desired result. First I removed the entire center link assembly, then set things up on a couple of blocks of wood, and a few good wacks on the castle nut with the device on the bottom removed the object on top.
      Attached Files
      Michael from Hampton Roads

Comment

Christmas Present

Santa is a fan of Porter-Cable products. ROS and polisher, which I hope to get lots of use out of over the next 4-6 months. The theory is that having this negates the requirement for a DA sander and a compressor with the ooomph to run it.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by mlcraven; January 7, 2012, 09:24 PM.

Comment

Holy Firewall

Investigation in advance would have revealed Fords of a certain style and vintage suffer from rusted-through firewalls, brought about by wet firewall insulation.

Attached photos indicate the extent of the ugliness.

Repair plan: (1) trace cardboard templates for sheet metal patches; (2) weld the patches inside the rear of the front fenderwells on the front side of the firewall over the bad metal, and (3) treat the repair with POR 15 so it doesn't happen again.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by mlcraven; February 16, 2012, 07:31 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=Scott Liggett;552869]Comet Cyclone 390. Pwr windows, buckets, AC.

QUOTE]Awesome!
            Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Totally Dis-Assembled (De-Constructed?)

131 days after purchase, car is totally apart (except for the windshield, which I'm not taking out). Last bits were the front suspension and steering, completed this afternoon.
              Attached Files

Comment

Having checked over all the above bits closely I've convinced myself they're in pretty good shape. In addition to general de-greasing and clean-up it looks like I'll only need to replace the upper ball joint and tie rod end dust covers, a pair of coil spring isolators and the strut rod rubber bushings. And rattle can the cast iron pieces with Cast Blast.
                Last edited by mlcraven; March 23, 2012, 05:00 PM.

Comment

Front End Cleanup

Have to get busy and hit the front end with Gunk followed by hot water and Simple Green. Photos below show the current state of affairs with the front end completely stripped and the undercoat and larger bits of crud scraped off. Messy.

Sorry about the fuzzy photos.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by mlcraven; January 7, 2012, 10:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
                    Those cylinders can be rebuilt - it's quite a puzzle but it can be done - a friend was talking through the procedure to me one day as I'm going to need to do that on my '69.... if you're keeping the power steering - you may not want to render that thing completely useless with any medieval torture devices - how ever tempting that may become.

good luck with the root canal.... yuck.
                    Thanks, root canal is proving painless, but time consuming. Two more appointments to go: one to fill the gaping cavern that used to the inside of my molar with some sort of bondo, and a final one to do the finish bodywork on the exterior of the tooth so it can actually be used for chomping again.

I'm going to convert to manual steering for three (probably entirely misplaced) reasons: (1) the oddball idea it will make header install less complicated, (2) I'm told by Ford aficianados that even the re-built cylinders and control valves leak again after only a relatively short period of time, and (3) getting rid of the power steering pump gives like 50 extra RW horsepower (save the comments, I don't need THAT bubble burst).

However, all the components -- pump, cylinder, control valve, hoses -- are carefully packed away in a box just in case I have second thoughts at some point in the future.
                    Last edited by mlcraven; April 7, 2013, 12:55 PM.

Comment

Your Cyclone looks alot like my Cougar , in terms of little holes popping up here and there . The floors in my project are like new I'm glad to say . I'm also thinking of passing on the power steering as well . Good luck .
                      Last edited by langleylad; December 30, 2011, 08:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mlcraven View Post
                        131 days after purchase, car is totally apart (except for the windshield, which I'm not taking out). Last bits were the front suspension and steering, completed this afternoon.
                        I almost took my Buick as far apart - and left the windshield in..... and it leaks. It didn't before I took it apart, (also the windshield wipers stopped working) - hope it works out better for you
                        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                          I almost took my Buick as far apart - and left the windshield in..... and it leaks. It didn't before I took it apart, (also the windshield wipers stopped working) - hope it works out better for you
                          Yeah, I'm a little spooked about that, but I worry more that I'll end up cracking the windshield. When I finished the El Camino ten years ago I ended up with a pesky firewall leak. Only a drip, but still a pain. Because the Elcy is always garaged/stored under cover and not rain-driven I never made a serious effort to sort it out. But I'll be bummed if I end up with a leaky windshield on this baby.
                          Last edited by mlcraven; February 16, 2012, 07:35 PM.

Comment

Media Blasting Complete

Late this afternoon I received word from my man Aaron Bloch at Flatlander's Media Blastery on 25th St here in Norfolk. The several small components I took into him in early December were complete so I picked them up after supper. Aaron works the night owl routine, it's the only time he can get real work done because car guys are always dropping in to chew the fat through the day (full disclosure -- I'm one of them). Anyhow, pics below of fan, exhaust manifolds, fender extensions, headlamp pots and various brackets, upper front control arms, upper rad support, battery tray etc. As soon as it warms up I'll shoot some self-etch on all of it and then hit the non-body bits with shades of black from rattle cans. Also get some Calyx manifold dressing on the exhaust manifolds.

This is the only blasting I'm doing, after my experience with the El Camino ten years ago I'm NOT going to touch the body with media. Shit was coming out of nooks and crannies for months afterwards
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by mlcraven; January 8, 2012, 05:12 PM.

Comment

Front End Clean Up 2

Finally got at it today -- more messy work and at the end of it all the before and after pics looked exactly the same. But the caked on grime and grease -- mostly from the leaky power steering system -- is gone.

A smarter guy would have used a 3000 psi pressure washer before putting the car in the garage for the winter and removing the front suspension. And a more careful guy wouldn't have ripped a fingernail. Fortunately, Gunk, Simple Green and hot water seem to have excellent disinfecting qualities.

The kiddy pool continues to take a beating in a good cause. But the garage floor is spotless.

Elbow grease courtesy of your correspondent. The tools below:
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by mlcraven; January 7, 2012, 10:15 PM.

Comment

More Floor Sheet Metal Work

This afternoon I massaged the front floor replacement sheet metal into place. Required some trimming of and hammer work on the prefab panels from Macs. Went through four jig saw blades but very pleased with the fit after all that. Next chore is to weld them in.
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by mlcraven; January 7, 2012, 10:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X