Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Silver Buick's 1969 Firebird OHC six project.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking forward to this! The only replacement for displacement is boost!
    http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
    1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
    ​​​​​​

Comment

• I'm going to make another go at building my own headers. I have some 1.5" primary pipes that I thought are too small to use as a high performance headers, plus I have larger header pipe on hand as well as an assembled equal length header that has a larger primary pipe diameter, so didn't think much about using them. But now, given I'm trying to make a twin scroll exhaust setup, the guidance I've gotten was to keep the secondary pipe fairly small, so with that in mind I could keep the primary pipes smaller as well.

So the plan is to use the 1.5" primary pipes into two individual collectors, keeping them as equal length as I'm capable of, then run two 1.75" secondary pipes to the T4 flange, and again keeping them as equal length as I'm capable of. I have several 90º 1.75" bends on order to get the piping to the passenger side of the engine. I was going to simply have a local shop bend me up a few non-mandrel 90º's and plumb off the exhaust manifold, but I was getting the run around by the shop I was going to use. So I'm abandoning that idea until I get frustrated with these headers, lol.

When I digitized the exhaust ports to calculate the area, they averaged 1.82sqin, and 1.5" pipe should be around 1.77sqin, so fairly close. I'm going to keep the pipe tucked up along the top of the port as best I can and stretch the metal downwards from there. I believe there are two headers worth of pipes, hence the huge pile of U's.
      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

• neeto!

Another thing you could do to get your feet wet, would be to make the 1.75" pipes from the manifold to the turbo, using U bends. Then if you had fun doing that, later you can make the headers to replace it.

like everything else, practice makes you better at this
        My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

• Originally posted by squirrel View Post
          neeto!

Another thing you could do to get your feet wet, would be to make the 1.75" pipes from the manifold to the turbo, using U bends. Then if you had fun doing that, later you can make the headers to replace it.
          That was basically the original intent, except I was going to have a local shop simply bend me some pipe. The other issue I ran into was trying to locate the right size flange clamp to use on the stock manifolds. If I give up on the header build again I'll go back to that plan. Interestingly enough, 1.75" U-bends are like $30+, and 90º are $5.50 each from RockAuto.

And I certainly learn a little more every I weld something! The header pipe has pretty good thickness to it, which makes it easier.

Comment

• Cold side plumbing arrived. The $64,000 question will be if I can get these piece to fit without resorting to cutting! They are aluminum so if I need any welding I'll have to outsource it. I'm thinking I'll want to install an intake air temperature sensor port in one at minimum.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
              They are aluminum so if I need any welding I'll have to outsource it.
              Or buy a Spool Gun for the MiG? (and share those exploits with us, of course)
              Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• Originally posted by STINEY View Post

Or buy a Spool Gun for the MiG? (and share those exploits with us, of course)

I've contemplated getting one a few times, but I am just good enough with even standard MIG welding to add the extra complexity of the aluminum welding with a spool gun.

Comment

• Take classes at the CC.. Nothing to lose but inability..

Comment

• Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                    Take classes at the CC.. Nothing to lose but inability..
                    And $400! Just looked up the one course they offer this fall is just stick welding and it's $270 for the course, $80 for the book, $25 for the lab fee's and likely another $15 in campus fees. That's assuming no hidden costs. Then times three to get to the gas welding class in spring of next year.

Comment

• man, if it's not structural and not super thick, I'd have a go at some of the aluminum rod and brazing.
                      Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

• I tried some brazing on my intake manifold with very minimal success. I tried using the MIG to tack weld the joints then tried brazing, only to warp and thin out the metal. I'm bound to have an "extra" pipe or two, I could make a practice run at it.

Comment

• An example to possibly pattern after on mounting the intercooler and where the pipes could go.

Comment

• Maybe a welding school and tell them what you want..
                            I just talked to my local welding supply guys and they know by what I buy and our reputation for tough cars from other derby guys and they said a couple of the salesmen could spend a couple hours showinf us how to use the equipment.
                            I go in and say, 023 wire or a tip for the welder or torch.. They have it on file..

Comment

• High-quality aluminum welding, brazing, and soldering alloys. Muggy Weld Aluminum rods/fluxes for soldering and brazing applications.

I have had great luck with this (takes a bit of practice)
                              Last edited by V12guy; August 16, 2016, 08:04 PM. Reason: spelling
                              See my build at: www.1932auburnsedan.com

Comment

• This turbo build just reminded me of a neighbor I had when I was growing up . He was a retired Vancouver City policeman who had turboed an early 70's Duster . I recalled it had a slant 6 , 4 speed ,stock exhaust manifold with a U bend connecting to the turbo , an Offenhauser 4 barrel intake and a Carter carb in a homemade aluminium pressure box . I seem to recall he had a Hobbs switch on the box monitoring the box pressure so it could add fuel ( I believe ). It was a very cool machine . He was strictly a Mopar man . In the early 70's ( I was born in 1960 ) I remember these purple , pink , lime green and orange loud cool looking car pulling up to his place and him sticking his head under the hood and turning wrenches . Not until years later did I realize what those funny looking cars were .
                                Last edited by langleylad; August 16, 2016, 08:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X