Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• back to the current headache...errr.. project

cleaned the tub

it'll flow out, they said, POR 15 lies... but at least I'll wear it off pretty quickly in the snow.... still, I wish there was an easy way of spraying POR 15

and now I have a front axle with gears in it - time to order the RCV shafts.... but, like all good things, it requires an unrelated step - my printer doesn't work so I can't print out the sheet I need... ugh

and cleaned knuckles

painted them too

and started working on the rear axle then got stopped when I couldn't find my 1 5/16 socket... always something
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• When I used Rust Bullet on my 55 they told me to dilute with lacquer thinner to spray.

Comment

• Last night I started setting up the rear gears,

measuring for shims

Sprayed the KBS today - it went on pretty well, and going to get a larger-nozzle gun was the right choice - I blew this on with a 1.8 nozzle ($16.00 at HF)

round 1 the coating

then a top coat

eventually it will end up a factory matte finish - but I almost ran out of time to spray this - KBS recommends low humidity and no rain. Tomorrow it's supposed to rain, thus killing our great 35% humidity we have today.

Comment

• and a couple more

rear end assembled, but I'm going to take it to be checked by my friend....

Comment

• KBS was right, the only way the stuff comes off your nose after it has dried is with sandpaper.... I needed to abraid my nose

Comment

• Try coconut oil! Will make you soft!

Comment

• Need 16x10 or 16x12 steel wheels... anyone have a line on some? new would be fine.... I really want deep offset.

Comment

• You might try Stockton Wheel in California. If they don't have 'em as a stock item they can assemble them. There's also a place in Michigan but I'm drawing a black on the name right now - damned old age.

Dan

Comment

• You know, that name is familiar.... I think I know a guy who knows a guy who can get me a discount from them thanks dan!

Comment

• started today by replacing the cad plated bolts with stainless ones

then bolting it together, but this time for real

and for those who are curious how much I took out of the front axle

(driver's side)

passenger side

what the cross brace looks like when apart

and now the motor is in

Comment

• Couple weeks, barring life getting in the way, you oughta be firing this up and terrorizing your neighbors

Comment

• I have a long ways to go. In order to do that, I need to:

1) put the efi on, and wire it
                          2) adjust the valves
                          3) put the O2 sensor in the header, install the headers, and plumb at least some of the exhaust
                          4) put the pressure plate and clutch in
                          5) figure out what hydraulic slave I'm going to use
                          6) fix the leak in the transmission (at the mid-joint)
                          7) take the rear housing to my friend with a mill and open up the hole just a touch for the seal
                          8) finish welding the adapter to the t-case
                          9) put the output on the t-case and paint the case
                          10) put the rear motor mount in place
                          11) get the rear differential
                          12) order and install the axle shafts front/rear
                          13) get the front calipers
                          14) repack the front bearings
                          15) repack the rear bearings
                          16) get drive shafts
                          17) plumb the brakes
                          18) install the rear shocks (which are custom built, were supposed to be sent Friday, and take a week to arrive since they can't go by air).

then there's the dash - I'm still not sure what the center is going to look like - though I may take a chance on it and undercoat/bedline/paint the tub since I think I'm done with the floor... which would allow me to mount the body back on the chassis (I'll do the body work with the body on the frame).

on top of this, I'm having an internal debate about the axles - do I spend the $1400 for indestructible axles when I've never broken an axle? even when I ran these same axles under a heavier vehicle and 44" tires - simply getting the axles shorted will set me back $150 and shipping.... or do I upgrade a bit? anyway, that discussion alone, once decided will take a month to send, get shortened (or bought new) and received.

Comment

• I'd shorten them for $150.....and get hopping on that so the "month" clock will start ticking. Whose "month" definition are we using, by the way?

Shortening them......you have no plans for rock-racing with 1500hp do you? That is where the indestructible stuff was developed, for the most part.

Some guys can break a crowbar in a sandbox. Are you one of those fellas?
                            Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• Originally posted by STINEY View Post

Some guys can break a crowbar in a sandbox. Are you one of those fellas?
                              I'd like to be... does that count?

I have to fix what I break, and really does take all the fun out of breaking it.
                              Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; July 27, 2015, 09:51 AM.

Comment

• Ah yes......understood completely.

Dad-n-law asks me "Why is it that I can get more out of your sandrail than you can?"

Me "Because I am the one that fixes it."

Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Working...
                                X