Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

62 Falcon - $5k challenge, how will it rise from the ranger's ashes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I love our aluminum valve covers on the derby motor.. I hate that their oil fill holes keep falling off.. So they got plugged. Our main 2 motors are Blocl vented Pvc's that get hosed to below the pan, oil filling is no problem as we have an intake with the fill tube.. Cap is an impory hose that goes to the pan also with 2 severe bends.. Works for us!

Comment

• OK
      made it to meltdown - first time I've seen the sears tower and cows in the same day - note to self - map out a better route before going next year.

Car made half a dozen mediocre passes and didn't break, on top of that I picked up my son from Daycare in it Monday night and took him to our local cruise in which has grown to over 300 cars on nice nights.

I've come to the conclusion that the transmission needs an upgraded valve body. I'm going to talk to my friend that built the trans to see what he recommends, the prices very wildly.
      I'm not sure if I want full manual valve body.
      I am sure I want to get rid of the crazy shift pattern, and would like to up shift normally and have it shift quickly when manually shifted.

I am not sure if I want or need an electric switch to lock out over drive when at the drags.

Meltdown is a fantastic event I hope to attend again.
      There's always something new to learn.

Comment

• click click racing . com - check out the epoxy mod. It's basically the same thing they do to the Lentechs... gives you 1 / 2 / 3-od for your pattern. You'll need to register to search for it though. I can't remember pwd or username or I'd get it for you... feeling lazy. Heading to the lake, cuz I'm a wuss. It's too hot for me to be in the garage.

Edit - Oh yeah...

Great news it's out of the barn and made some passes!!!!

more edit -

here is the jist of the epoxy mod - silverfox is the guy on Clickclickracing.com that posted the DIY thread on it. I think this is where the pictures are hosted.

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!
        Last edited by Beagle; July 23, 2014, 05:32 AM.
        Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

• Huge WIN! Have any pictures and times to share? I hate transmission issues, hope you are able to straighten it out easily, maybe if you can live with it enjoy driving the rest of the summer fall and take it down this winter
          http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
          1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
          ​​​​​​

Comment

• I'm struggling to get photo's to upload in anything but dinky thumbnails - the event coverage from the guys with real cameras blows away my cell phone pics. It was a really neat event.

Thanks for the article Beags - I'm tempted to have a go at it myself instead of paying $250 - $550 for a ready to bolt in valve body - the governor in my trans has already been tweaked so it doesn't shift early like a bone stock AOD does. Any idea how I could get that article to print out in full 8x11 sheets? I don't want to mix ATF and my laptop... LOL

ET ~13.6
            MPH ~98
            60ft ~1.9
            Last edited by milner351; July 23, 2014, 06:14 AM.

Comment

• quickest way I know of is Paint. I can't remember what Crop looks like under XP, but in Win7, if you copy from photobucket and paste into Paintbrush, then select "Crop" from the Image tab, it will trim it to size. Then Print Preview, it will probably default to landscape. Choose Portrait and it should fill up the page...

Comment

• Paint sucks for getting images the right size. It can be done, but it usually takes some work, and you have to do the same steps for each image file.

might also try on the photobucket page, after you click on an image you'll see on the top right some things to click to "share" the image. Click on the "direct" box, and then paste that URL in your browser, then use the browser to print the image. should almost fill up a page that way.
                My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

• Well by selecting each page individually, and opening it in its own window, I was able to print it out at about 80% of full scale - but I still have allot of questions about the modification.
                  I'm beginning to understand why folks spend $XXX on a complete valve body instead of jumping into the modifications themselves.

Comment

• I get reminded why I run an old fashioned 3 speed auto, instead of the modern stuff. They're complicated!
                    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

• OK Beags - help me out here - I'm not comfortable with the aod epoxy mod without a better explanation. Those pictures from the old article are pretty tough to interpret.

It looks like Transgo has a full manual valve body shift kit, but I'm not sure I want to go that way either?
                      Free Shipping - TransGo Automatic Transmission Reprogramming Kits with qualifying orders of $99. Shop Automatic Transmission Shift Kits at Summit Racing.

Lentech stuff is expensive but he seems to be the undisputed king of the AOD, or at least been doing these mods the longest. Silver fox seems to have a big 'net presence but lots of the pictures / explanations on his clickclick site are no longer available.

Comment

• I had the same reaction about the pictures - have a look at this page of the sticky...

http://www.clickclickracing.com/foru...ight=epoxy+mod

jb weld it up like this - the red line (very very thin) and the red dot are the center of the shaft bore:

then run the drill at a 45 into the shaft bore from the right side

it's hard to see but the entry point of the drill is down in the channel. It's an 1/8 drill and you can sort of see it laying in the channel.
                        Last edited by Beagle; July 27, 2014, 05:36 AM.

Comment

• I had good luck with a Baumann recal kit in my Mustang's AOD before I had the Lentech VB in the car now.

Comment

• Had a run of bad luck lately, givashit tank is beyond empty.

Had a freak accident / stupid mistake with the falcon - had it on the trailer, got distracted and forgot to hook up strap over rear axle - then someone panic stopped in front of me.
                            Falcon slid forward, both front wheels fell off tongue of trailer and front bumper took a good hit against the trailer jack, inside side wall of one tire was sliced in the process.

Two days later nephew was driving old reliable 02 accord - got rear ended and shoved into the car in front of him - car is totaled
                            - anyone want a 200HP v6 that fits in tight places for a cool project?

A few days after that, my wife was driving the truck home at night and hit a deer - being a 4x4 F350 - the brunt of the hit was taken by the front bumper which is bent pretty good.

No one was hurt, it could have been allot worse, however I'm ready to get off this wheel for a while, every where I look something needs work, just tired of being tired.

Comment

• I feel your pain, but I'm also very glad its stuff that can be fixed.

I hit a deer with my Jetta when I took Buick to get his vasectomy, set off the air bags on the side.

I've been there with the trailer thing, I pulled my bobcat too far forward on my trailer and found out the PO had not put all the bolts in the receiver hitch.... I've been under there a thousand times, and had never noticed.... d'oh

anyway, point is - I feel your pain - seems to be the way things are right now
                              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Damn, double damn and triple damn. Something is in the air. I'm tired of all the "broke" stuff too, but I've got nothing on you John. I was telling folks on the Anti-Tour that as soon as I get home I'm going to park the Skylark in the barn with the other cars and pad lock it shut until spring =/ Hope your luck turns around soon.
                                Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Working...
                                X