Shop setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shop setup

I need to put this stuff in just one spot... so here it is.

Tonight, started on the lift
    first, use your crane to set the uprights in place

so, joking aside, siting is the biggest challenge. Here it's square to the door

that doesn't work because it crowds the driver's side and really limits length
    not just that but it puts one of the uprights about middle of the rear door
    next step... 'draw' a straight line to the rear door

move cars and tape mark the floor

move stunt suburban into place

both sides have plenty of room for activities - all while keeping the right post out of the way

Next up, fix the bent cross brace (I guess you can't pick the lift up with it.... ah well)

the drill the floor for bolts. I might move it back a little bit - but even as I type this, I think "no"... it seems like you never have enough room around the lift, so keeping that clear is likely going to be the answer
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

in other news, the seller sent me another 'replacement' drill holder because I didn't get a hardware packet....

together

I don't recommend much, but these, at $17 delivered, are a pretty good deal... I have 5 because they send 2 extra nuts with each kit - that means between the 4 I have, I had enough to assemble the 5th

Comment

When you get all done, how about a tutorial on the IDEAL shop layout? I'm still struggling with that concept. I don't dare bolt anything solid to the floor, as tomorrow I'm going to want to move it

And I'm still adoptable to the right garage, er that is I mean family

Comment

I think I've found that it's easier to bolt things down when you have more space. Thus, it's time to make your entire house a shop.... problem solved. You're welcome

bolts

blurry drill

this thing is a lot handier then I thought it'd be

I was questioned about how I'd get the right angle.... pretty easy

just need to torque the anchors

Comment

Whole house shop. Only if I outlast SWMBO! Not likely...

Comment

When and why did lift post go from parallel to angled?
            http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
            1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
            ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Russell View Post
              QUOTE=SuperBuickGuy;n1323822]I need to put this stuff in just one spot... so here it is.

Tonight, started on the lift
              first, use your crane to set the uprights in place

so, joking aside, siting is the biggest challenge. Here it's square to the door

that doesn't work because it crowds the driver's side and really limits length
              not just that but it puts one of the uprights about middle of the rear door
              next step... 'draw' a straight line to the rear door

move cars and tape mark the floor

move stunt suburban into place

both sides have plenty of room for activities - all while keeping the right post out of the way

Next up, fix the bent cross brace (I guess you can't pick the lift up with it.... ah well)

the drill the floor for bolts. I might move it back a little bit - but even as I type this, I think "no"... it seems like you never have enough room around the lift, so keeping that clear is likely going to be the answer[/QUOTE]
              Patrick & Tammy
              - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Space and access to that rear 'door'

one big problem at my old shop was I had plenty of room in the front - when the door was open.... otherwise, it was really crowded on 3 sides.

In this shop, the wall would be 5 feet from the lift - put a bench in there and it's crowded. Not just that but that stairway? I would have walked into that thing daily when working because it just cleared where the vehicle's hood would be.... the final reason is it's now on a straight shot to the rear space.

The rear space is my 'long term' project space - thus, being able to wheel a vehicle onto the lift for the occasional lift (like body lifting) while still having easy access to the long term space is key

Comment

I don't think that was my question. Nothing to do with where you put the lift in the shop. I get that.

The two up right post are not parallel to each other.

PB 60' 1.49
                  ​​​​​​

Comment

Sorry.... I thought you were refering to placement rather than design....

Asymmetric

Patrick & Tammy
                    - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
                      Sorry.... I thought you were refering to placement rather than design....

Asymmetric

https://tufflift.com.au/facts/asymme...o-post-hoists/
                      Thanks, I think I get it now. It allows the front arm to swing back and still be straight?

PB 60' 1.49
                      ​​​​​​

Comment

Thanks, I think I get it now. It allows the front arm to swing back and still be straight?
                        yes, and gives you more room for door swing

Comment

The real problem is that your shop is too small - they always are.

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                            The real problem is that your shop is too small - they always are.
                            soon, very very soon.... you have been seeing what I've been Jonesing for?

Comment

Its all about figuring out storage so you are not looking for tools for an hour before you spend the 2 seconds to remove said bolt.

Comment

Working...
                              X