No announcement yet.

Project Mustang Consolidation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll rave about the Lucas power steering stuff. It has saved me right around $1200 to date.....and has cost less than $20. Rave, rave, rave..
    Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY View Post
      I'll rave about the Lucas power steering stuff. It has saved me right around $1200 to date.....and has cost less than $20. Rave, rave, rave..
      in the T5? (confused)
      Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

No T5 experience, just that Lucas isn't your average snake-oil. Its the real deal in my experience.
        Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Ahh.. okay. I thought maybe you guys were putting P/S goo in the T5 and I got that confused tilted head look.

Comment

No real up date got it on stands pulled the wheels good news the rear has some good parts 33 spline axle true spool not a Lincoln locker Richmond 4.10 gears. Did not get as lucky on the front end it still has the small 4cyl front brakes so at some point I will switch to the larger V8 brakes on the 89.

The right rear c-clip elim leaked and the shoe/drum are greasy. Can the be cleaned or is it best to just replace them (shoes look new). I read some where that they run the rear with less fluid because the c-clip eliminators are sealed and don't need oil?
            Last edited by Russell; May 5, 2015, 07:44 PM.
            http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
            1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
            ​​​​​​

Comment

You should replace the shoes, and I'd be careful about running less fluid - shoes are cheap, gears and bearings aren't.
              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                You should replace the shoes, and I'd be careful about running less fluid - shoes are cheap, gears and bearings aren't.
                Drums are cheap as well. Can they be cleaned or replaced as well?

PB 60' 1.49
                ​​​​​​

Comment

as long as the drums have enough material on them, brake clean will get them ready for reinstallation
                  Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

We used to use rubbing alky to clean shoes in a pinch.. Bad part of doing that is it also attacks the glues on the linings
                    Linings do soak oil. I have seen old timers lay the drums by the wood heating stove in the shop and let he oil smoke off..

Comment

I sometimes grind the ridge off the drums if they have one, then clean the snot out of them with brake cleaner and/or lacquer thinner which I always have in the shop. Once clean, a little 80 grit doesn't hurt anything.

Dan

Comment

pads saturate, do at least the side that soaked and a new seal. I wouldn't expect a lot of wear on drag car drums... what do the surfaces look like?

Comment

The shoes looked bran new. I did not look closely at the drums.

PB 60' 1.49
                          ​​​​​​

Comment

I have not done anything to the car. I have been planning my shop improvements and listing stuff for sale trying to make room and generate some cash. I hope to hit it hard in 2-3 weeks.

Phase one is pretty much a body swap. I want to move the drive train wiring and fuel systems from the 89 to the 87.

Trying to deside what / when I want to do to the supension and brakes. I think I am going to go ahead and move the brakes when I move the fuel system. So if I swap the front brakes I think I will need to replace the struts. I was told the car ran 5.90s with a 1.2x 60'. The struts have been painted over so its hard to tell what they are. Might be OEM? Keep the unknown struts that came on the car? Use the KYB AGXs I put on the 89 10 Ish years ago? Or I have a set that were told to be 70/30s that I got in a lot of parts?

PB 60' 1.49
                            ​​​​​​

Comment

some folks don't mind 90/10's in a "street car"... dang sure not my thing so I can't really tell you what you want on your car! I'm not even sure what's supposed to be good any more. Fast Ed may have some input here. If you liked the KYB's, I'd do that. Particularly since they have a lifetime warranty... if they've gone away on you, get new ones?

Comment

So how is the spool going to be on the street. Should I be looking for a limited slip?

PB 60' 1.49
                                ​​​​​​

Comment

Working...
                                X