Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Russell
    replied
    Sounds good I am looking forward to getting out there and sanding!

I made a deal today to buy used castor camber plates and coil overs kit. Don't know when I will get it installed. I have been wanting to raise the front a little hopefully this will do it. Hopefully it works just as well or better at the track after the swap.

I have some 70/30 struts I would like to try. They are for the wider 4cyl spindles. I need to find or buy some adaptors.

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    1) Yes

2) Start with 180 then finer. Always use blocks where you can - it's really easy to get finger marks if you don't. Come on over and you can borrow mine.

3) I use regular high-fill primer if there are swirl marks or other small imperfections.

4) I like PPG DP series epoxy primer, thinned with lacquer thinner for a sealer. DP90 is the black, IIRC DP40 is light grey and there are other colors available. Pick one close to the color you'll paint (purple, I presume).

5) PPG is excellent paint as is DuPont. There are other great brands, too. Both companies have "store brands" (DuPont has Nason, for example - can't think of PPG's even though I've shot a ton of it - damn old age) that will work fine for your use. I think I have enough clear to cover what you'll need - I'll check next time I get on the mezzanine. Remember to get ALL the chemicals you'll need for the paint system you chose - hardners, thinners, etc. The folks at the paint store will steer you straight on this. I have "a guy" here in Wilmington who takes care of me but any decent paint store should have good guidance. They'll usually take pity on amateurs like us and be sure you get everything. If you can take in something (fuel doors work well) they can match the existing paint really well. My guy uses the paint matching equipment as a starting point then modifies the mix to make up for any differences in color.

Dan

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    I got the small porta power.

Time to start thinking about paint. I need to come up with a plan of action. Then a materials list.

The trunk lid has been painted I can see swirls / sanding marks under the paint. The bumper appears to be original base clear with most of the clear baked.

1. pull parts back off the car
    2. sand. (320 wet using blocks were possible?)
    3. Will it need primer?
    4. Will it need sealer?
    5. What type of paint?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Russell; November 27th, 2019, 08:42 PM.

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    HF for the win!!! Did you get the little one? As I said, that's the one I use most of the time.

Dan

Leave a comment:

• Deaf Bob
    replied
    Porta power is my new favorite tool! I moved some metal tonight. It needs to move alittle more but it's getting better.

Photos are to big to upload. They are on my Instagram. Will try later to resize them.
    If you switch accessories alot on the porta power, you likely need to "top off" fluid.
    Have 2 porta powers. Added oil to the older one and was fine.. But we needed the double attachments so it was ok for us..
    We like to use them when adding our door bars.. Spread tight to the interior

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    Porta power is my new favorite tool! I moved some metal tonight. It needs to move alittle more but it's getting better.

Photos are to big to upload. They are on my Instagram. Will try later to resize them.

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    We can definitely make everything purple. When you're ready pull the gas filler door and take it to the paint store for a color match - they'll be able to get it pretty close.

EDIT: Best to paint the bits before installation, of at least spray the edges. Otherwise it's likely the color coat will eventually peel at the edges and look crappy. I've installed lots of fully painted panels with success - you just have to be a bit careful - tape edges, etc.

Dan
    Last edited by DanStokes; October 13th, 2019, 11:55 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    That red hood will more than likely going back in the barn it has lot of dents and I want remove the hood pins. I have a maroon hood that I think is dentless. I would like to spray it purple along with the white trunk lid, and Calypso green bumper cover. The whole car needs paint but if I am going to do that I would like to paint it black, and that is a bigger elephant than I want to eat right now.

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    Dan, good to talk to you this morning I wish we were closer it would make finding a day to get down there alot easier.

I am sure it would turn out better if we worked on it together, but I am inpatient. I went to HF and got at 4 ton porta power. I am sure I will need more advice along the way. At some point paint will need to be sprayed!
    Bring it down! That red hood needs to be made purple, too - or the whole car needs a respray. Prep it at your shop and I'll come and teach you.

Dan

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    Dan, good to talk to you this morning I wish we were closer it would make finding a day to get down there alot easier.

I am sure it would turn out better if we worked on it together, but I am inpatient. I went to HF and got at 4 ton porta power. I am sure I will need more advice along the way. At some point paint will need to be sprayed!

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    Pick a date and come over. We'll fire up the PortaPower and shove that sucker back. I can borrow a stud gun but I really think the PP will be a better bet. Call me!

Dan

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    I got word from the insurance company the check was in the mail so I decided to pull the tail lights and rear bumper cover to see how much the body is pushed in. Hopefully I can get some of the pictures to load. What is the best way to move it back where it should be. Hammer, porta power, stud gun, it's junk cut it out and weld in a new one.

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    Sorry Russell, I don't remember my MPH, I want to say it was just over 100mph. I beat that T5 relentlessly and never had an issue with it - I really think the "T5 are fragile" line of thinking is fueled by paranoia.
    No worries. I wonder how many T5 just lost a shift fork?

Leave a comment:

• milner351
    replied
    Sorry Russell, I don't remember my MPH, I want to say it was just over 100mph. I beat that T5 relentlessly and never had an issue with it - I really think the "T5 are fragile" line of thinking is fueled by paranoia.

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    Very cool indeed! As a point of reference, I had a 90 LX hatchback, 5 speed. The fastest I ever ran was a 13.15 ET at milan 1/4 mile.
    That was with a totally stock short block, stock cam, twisted wedge aluminum heads, roller rockers, shorty headers, explorer intake, and oversize throttle body, on drag radials.
    Your times with a completely stock engine are fantastic!

I've only run dragweek once, in 2012. I'll never run it again without AC!
    Oh yeah AC is a requirement! That's not a bad time do you remember your mph?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X