X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Russell
    started a topic Project Mustang Consolidation

Project Mustang Consolidation

I have been looking for drag rollers on and off for a while now. This morning I saw one that peaked my interest just down the road. I like what I saw so I put a deposit down. If all goes well I will pick it up tomorrow. The plan is to use the drive train and wiring harness / ecu from the 89, and other parts I have on hand to minimise the cost.

CL ad: 87 Mustang notch back stock suspension car with title

I am selling an 87 Mustang coupe trunk car it has fairly new paint on it .it is a rolling chassis less motor and trans set up for small block Ford and c4 transmission. this car has run 590 in the 8th already it's got a nice roll cage and real nice interior in it aftermarket lower control arms and tubular K member it has weld draglite wheels with 275 drag radial on the back Moser axles full with 410 gears 8.8 rear frame connectors and a polished aluminum wing on the back I have a clear title in hand give me a call or text

I will post pictures once it is home. Let the bench builds begin!

UPDATE 9/22/15

The story: I found myself with three project cars, three drivers, a house, yard, wife, toddler, and a full time job. For some reason I felt spread thin and very little was happening with my project cars and they were all at the point where would require a good bit of money to move forward.

1989 Mustang LX 5.0 5 speed: I bought this car in 2004 and it was my DD for years. I used it for TNT and standing mile. After a few trips to The Maxton Mile the valve springs gave up and it would not turn over 4k rpms. I refreshed a GT40P motor and dropped it in. The new motor went 140 in the mile, its needs a cage. I put Drag Radials on it and broke the stock axle so now it needs a built rear. Itís been hit a couple times and the paint is shot.

1979 Mercury Capri: I bought this car so I could go after a Classic record at Maxton. When I got it had a 2bbl 302 C4 2.47 open 7.5. I replaced the engine with a 4bbl E303 camed GT40P out of a Mountaineer and put a T5 behind it. I was not able to get the bugs out at Maxton and the record I was shooting for got bumped way up. I took it to Ohio and closed three open records, and went a best of 143 mph. Now I am above my tech limit so I put a 3.73 8.8 and took it to the ľ it ran mid to high 13ís. The fuel pump sprung a leak and I was growing tired of its trailer queen status. So itís parked out on the farm waiting to be parted out / sold.

1998 Mustang GT: I have always wanted to get into flipping cars this was my first attempt I found a ruff mustang that need a transmission, some body work and a complete paint job. I replaced the T45 with a used one. Worked on the big dents. Put some used tires on it, some mufflers and was going to let my wife DD it thatís when I found out the rear bearings were shot, overhauled the rear axle. I wanted to paint it but didnít think it was going to be a good return on investment so I finally sold it for about what I had in it.

I was looking for Foxbodies with roll bars already installed in good condition with a title. It seemed like they all were very far away, no title, very ruff, or very expensive. I found this 1987 LX coupe in the next county over, and had to have it. The sale of the 98 paid for most of purchase price. The plan is for the 89 to be a major donor. Dad said he wanted the Capri engine, I sure I will need a spare T5 and the rest will sooner or later get sold off to fund either safety or go fast parts.

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...river-drag-lsr

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-mercury-capri

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-flip-this-car
    Last edited by Russell; September 22nd, 2015, 09:12 AM.

• DanStokes
    replied
    HF for the win!!! Did you get the little one? As I said, that's the one I use most of the time.

Dan

Leave a comment:

• Deaf Bob
    replied
    Porta power is my new favorite tool! I moved some metal tonight. It needs to move alittle more but it's getting better.

Photos are to big to upload. They are on my Instagram. Will try later to resize them.
    If you switch accessories alot on the porta power, you likely need to "top off" fluid.
    Have 2 porta powers. Added oil to the older one and was fine.. But we needed the double attachments so it was ok for us..
    We like to use them when adding our door bars.. Spread tight to the interior

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    Porta power is my new favorite tool! I moved some metal tonight. It needs to move alittle more but it's getting better.

Photos are to big to upload. They are on my Instagram. Will try later to resize them.

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    We can definitely make everything purple. When you're ready pull the gas filler door and take it to the paint store for a color match - they'll be able to get it pretty close.

EDIT: Best to paint the bits before installation, of at least spray the edges. Otherwise it's likely the color coat will eventually peel at the edges and look crappy. I've installed lots of fully painted panels with success - you just have to be a bit careful - tape edges, etc.

Dan
    Last edited by DanStokes; October 13th, 2019, 11:55 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    That red hood will more than likely going back in the barn it has lot of dents and I want remove the hood pins. I have a maroon hood that I think is dentless. I would like to spray it purple along with the white trunk lid, and Calypso green bumper cover. The whole car needs paint but if I am going to do that I would like to paint it black, and that is a bigger elephant than I want to eat right now.

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    Dan, good to talk to you this morning I wish we were closer it would make finding a day to get down there alot easier.

I am sure it would turn out better if we worked on it together, but I am inpatient. I went to HF and got at 4 ton porta power. I am sure I will need more advice along the way. At some point paint will need to be sprayed!
    Bring it down! That red hood needs to be made purple, too - or the whole car needs a respray. Prep it at your shop and I'll come and teach you.

Dan

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    Dan, good to talk to you this morning I wish we were closer it would make finding a day to get down there alot easier.

I am sure it would turn out better if we worked on it together, but I am inpatient. I went to HF and got at 4 ton porta power. I am sure I will need more advice along the way. At some point paint will need to be sprayed!

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    Pick a date and come over. We'll fire up the PortaPower and shove that sucker back. I can borrow a stud gun but I really think the PP will be a better bet. Call me!

Dan

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    I got word from the insurance company the check was in the mail so I decided to pull the tail lights and rear bumper cover to see how much the body is pushed in. Hopefully I can get some of the pictures to load. What is the best way to move it back where it should be. Hammer, porta power, stud gun, it's junk cut it out and weld in a new one.

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    Sorry Russell, I don't remember my MPH, I want to say it was just over 100mph. I beat that T5 relentlessly and never had an issue with it - I really think the "T5 are fragile" line of thinking is fueled by paranoia.
    No worries. I wonder how many T5 just lost a shift fork?

Leave a comment:

• milner351
    replied
    Sorry Russell, I don't remember my MPH, I want to say it was just over 100mph. I beat that T5 relentlessly and never had an issue with it - I really think the "T5 are fragile" line of thinking is fueled by paranoia.

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    Very cool indeed! As a point of reference, I had a 90 LX hatchback, 5 speed. The fastest I ever ran was a 13.15 ET at milan 1/4 mile.
    That was with a totally stock short block, stock cam, twisted wedge aluminum heads, roller rockers, shorty headers, explorer intake, and oversize throttle body, on drag radials.
    Your times with a completely stock engine are fantastic!

I've only run dragweek once, in 2012. I'll never run it again without AC!
    Oh yeah AC is a requirement! That's not a bad time do you remember your mph?

Leave a comment:

• milner351
    replied
    Very cool indeed! As a point of reference, I had a 90 LX hatchback, 5 speed. The fastest I ever ran was a 13.15 ET at milan 1/4 mile.
    That was with a totally stock short block, stock cam, twisted wedge aluminum heads, roller rockers, shorty headers, explorer intake, and oversize throttle body, on drag radials.
    Your times with a completely stock engine are fantastic!

I've only run dragweek once, in 2012. I'll never run it again without AC!

Leave a comment:

• 74NovaMan
    replied
    Thanks for the recap of your adventure. I wish i knew that you were going, I could have watched for you on the feed.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X