• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 1989 Mustang, Driver / Drag / LSR

138-143mph
    terry

Comment

Well I have a great weekend at Maxton! ;D Meet a few more BSers! I was pleased that my new engine went faster than the old one. Made 4 runs each one faster than the last. Saturday I ran in "street trim" got at 135.01 and 136.73 Saturday night the cardboard and blue tape came out and blocked off the front end. Dave said the saleen wing (FOR SALE) had more drag than I wanted it came off. Ran a 137.62, a little more Blue tape 6k rpm shifts and ran 138.53832 MPH. Then I taped off the cowl and was fifth in line when the oil flew. I was unhappy that I did not get to run again, but was glad no one got hurt, and it was not my engine with the hole in it. Bill was a few cars behind me when the oil meet the track that would have been his first run for the weekend......That SUCKS.......

I plan on doing it again on May 22! I hope to get my Trac Loc fixed soon.

I have about 2k mile on the new engine so far and the 89 is now being used for my 100 mile commute.
      http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
      1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
      ​​​​​​

Comment

Russell - Great to see you and yer Pop again. The car looked good and the engine looked like it came in the car from the factory. It's really fun to watch you two. Sorry about the oil down but it really didn't make sense to clean the track for an additional 1/2 hour or so of racing. We'll let Mother Nature clean it before the next meet.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes
          Russell - Great to see you and yer Pop again. The car looked good and the engine looked like it came in the car from the factory. It's really fun to watch you two. Sorry about the oil down but it really didn't make sense to clean the track for an additional 1/2 hour or so of racing. We'll let Mother Nature clean it before the next meet.

Dan
          Dan great to see you as well, sorry we did not get to talk much, you know the buzz bomb project page is now on page five? Time to update, did you bump that record? Thanks for the kind words about the car. Factory install was what I was going for, don't want it to look faster than it is and painting shining all those parts is a lot of work. Oh and using mostly factory parts makes it easier to look factory ;D

PB 60' 1.49
          ​​​​​​

Comment

Russell ment to get up with you sorry.You should have some left in the stang before it starts to cost$$$.
            Mid 140s should not cost a lot :
            terry

Comment

Originally posted by Russell
              Ran the 89 on the 1/4 yesterday, Drove it to the track beat on it hard and drove it home so that was a success. Made 11 passes best was a 14.42 at 97.89 that was with a sucky 2.35 60 foot it is very hard for me to get out of the hole on one leg with crappy street tires. I was hoping it would do better the 1/8 time was 9.35 which is not much better than I did on the old motor and this one has "better" heads and intake. Its time to rebuild the Trac Loc before going back to the drag strip I think there are a few tenth in traction to be had....

Anyone want to guess what 97mph in the 1/4 will get me in the mile?
              I ran 14.50's at that speed cosistently in Pheonix a couple weeks back.
              BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by terry russell
                Russell ment to get up with you sorry.You should have some left in the stang before it starts to cost$$$.
                Mid 140s should not cost a lot :
                terry
                Terry I will try to find you next time. What would you do to get a little more out of it for low $?

I have been thinking about the "tune" but I am no turner. From what I have heard the things that can be changed are the fuel pressure (I would have to get adjustable regulator) and timing. I have turned timing up some don't know if it wants more or less. I was thinking about getting a wide band O2 but they are not cheap?

PB 60' 1.49
                ​​​​​​

Comment

We used to squeeze the regulators somehow to get more pressure when we weren't allowed to have adjustable ones. If I saw it I would probably remember what we did
                  Cognizant Dissident

Comment

Russell -
                    My suggestion is that you call first but then drive the car to Wayne's Dyno in Jacksonville - shouldn't more than a couple of hours from your place. Wayne is VERY sharp on 'Stangs and he can get you well on the way for not a lot of money (he gets $60/hr). A couple of hours MAX should either get you a bunch more power or at least a clear path to get it. Wayne's a great guy and very helpful. He's the guy who found my missing 31 HP in the Buzz Bomb strictly thru tuning.

Google for Wayne's Dyno in Jacksonville and you can find his website and phone number. Tell him I sent you and he'll charge you double! But seriously - let me know if you schedule with him and I'll meet you there. He's about 50 miles from me.

Dan

Comment

Set the toe at 0 with the front bumper up 3 inches,more air in& out.More fuel ,block the grill don,t wory abut the seems.
                      40lbs air front 35 back tires .
                      any one has more or better info feel free to add.
                      terry

Comment

Originally posted by terry russell
                        Set the toe at 0 with the front bumper up 3 inches,more air in& out.More fuel ,block the grill don,t wory abut the seems.
                        40lbs air front 35 back tires .
                        any one has more or better info feel free to add.
                        terry
                        Terry,

setting the toe is that something I can do with a tape measure or does it need to be done by a pro?

More air in and out - I have shorty headers and the rest of the exhaust is 2.5" Does that cover the out? The in, it has a "hot air intake" big cone filter attached to the 73mm MAF to a 65mm TB. I know the filter needs to be cleaned. Or should I try to make some kind of ram air setup.

More fuel = adjustable pressure regulator? I can get one of these for about $100.

I blocked the front in on both my runs Sunday seemed to help

I will pump up the tires next time.

PB 60' 1.49
                        ​​​​​​

Comment

If you can loose the cats./mufflers to run that may worth some. Front end/ race shops can do the front end .Dave or Mike Maty may know some one near you.Your car is doing good .We all want more speed.
                          terry

Comment

Russel, it was nice talking to you and your dad in the staging lanes.

I will see what you come up with to use on my project.
                            Neal

Drag Week 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Comment

Are there any bigger injectors that you could pull from a junkyard and swap for your stockers? I also have 2 spare wheels like you are running, I would sell them to you cheap at the june meet if you want a spare set for racing.

Comment

Originally posted by 116ciHemi
                                Are there any bigger injectors that you could pull from a junkyard and swap for your stockers? I also have 2 spare wheels like you are running, I would sell them to you cheap at the june meet if you want a spare set for racing.
                                Walt,

I will have to do some looking I don't know if there are any bigger junkyard injectors, I have the 19 lbs ones from the explorer in there now, they have more holes than the mustang ones.....I really dont think the 19s are maxed out yet, but bigger may be better?

Thanks for the offer for the offer for the wheels, I have 2 other sets of 10 holes, a set of GT fans, and a set of Chrome ponies, and my Dad has an extra set also. I was buying rims and tires for less than I could buy the tires (Craigslist!).

PB 60' 1.49
                                ​​​​​​

Comment

Working...
                                X