Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BBR's 83GT - 552 BBF version 3.0 (at least)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cstmwgn
    replied
    Originally posted by BBR View Post
    3/8" cold rolled steel. Countersinking is my plan. I am going to get some shallow socket head bolts and bolt the adapters to the head. The BBC pattern will be tapped 3/8-16 and have studs.
    Yeah - this is what I use for these types of issues

Leave a comment:

• BBR
    replied
    3/8" cold rolled steel. Countersinking is my plan. I am going to get some shallow socket head bolts and bolt the adapters to the head. The BBC pattern will be tapped 3/8-16 and have studs.

Leave a comment:

• cstmwgn
    replied
    What are you new custom cut flanges made out of?
    Could you countersink the BBF bolt pattern and bolt them to the head with flat head socket screws, then use the BBC bold pattern to hold the header on?

Leave a comment:

• BBR
    replied
    Adapters seem to fit the headers as intended.
    Just looking at this, a guy could dang near just drill the BBC flange with the BBF pattern. Some bolts might be impossible to tighten though.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20240114_124253.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	519.6 KB
ID:	1348000

Leave a comment:

• BBR
    replied
    I am a much better welder when I have my readers on and a 6000 lumen work light pointed at what I am working on.

The BBC shorty headers came in yesterday when I was out of town. I went to the shop to drop off Jake's 95GT and did a quick looky to see if they were going to work.

So far it looks like they will fit really good with no dents needed. Prob the best $139 I have spent.

Name:	Screenshot_20240113_113701_eBay.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	193.3 KB
ID:	1347942

Leave a comment:

• BBR
    replied
    Getting the steering shaft in and out has to be one of the most frustrating jobs on this car.

The collapsible portion of the steering column is up in the dash so the lower shaft is solid. This makes it really hard to get the shaft in and out of the car. For the past 12 years I've just dealt with it. No more!!

I started making a telescoping lower shaft today using a section of shaft and u-joint from a '96 F250. It's coming together nicely and once I have the proper length set, I will put a set screw of some sort in to secure it and further stabilize it.​

Click image for larger version  Name:	20240110_190149.jpg Views:	0 Size:	563.2 KB ID:	1347790
    Last edited by BBR; January 10, 2024, 09:33 PM.

Leave a comment:

• BBR
    replied
    Originally posted by CTX-SLPR View Post
    I'd take a tip from the diesel guys and cut what you have into individual sections with a saw or cutoff wheel to keep the thermal expansion in the flange from cracking stuff as quickly.
    Along that line of thinking, it might be smart to drill the bolt holes a little oversize to allow for expansion.

Leave a comment:

• CTX-SLPR
    replied
    I'd take a tip from the diesel guys and cut what you have into individual sections with a saw or cutoff wheel to keep the thermal expansion in the flange from cracking stuff as quickly.

Leave a comment:

• BBR
    replied
    Looks like I can save even more money by dividing it up into single cylinder parts. That drops the price about $20 for the set.

Still, this one will work to test fit and whatnot for now.​

Leave a comment:

• BBR
    replied
    Haha no we don't have a scanner.

The problem isn't really a design issue, I can put whatever port shape I want in there. It's s the fact the Ford has gigantic oval ports and a BBC header has square or round ports. You can only do so much before you run out of sealing surface, either for the head or for the header.

I might make a new set later, but for now these will do the job at hand.

I was just sitting here thinking about these and since the cost goes down the more you order, I wonder if these could be cheaper if made individually? 8 pieces instead of 2.
    Last edited by BBR; January 8, 2024, 09:08 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    Now you need one of those 3d scanners. Get the ports the exact right shape. Do you have one of those fancy lazer survey scanners? I bet that would work to model the head.

Leave a comment:

• BBR
    replied
    Drilled the rest of the BBF holes. Dead nuts on.

Name:	20240108_164844.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	501.9 KB
ID:	1347599

Leave a comment:

• BBR
    replied
    Heck idk. The BBC header flange CAD file I started with was a round port. I could probably do whatever I want. This just started as a test to see how well SCS works. Surprised how well it worked.
    Last edited by BBR; January 8, 2024, 02:08 PM.

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    Originally posted by BBR View Post
    I will probably chamfer the inner edge at the top and bottom to help the transition from oval to round.

I couldn't stand it and went out and drilled the two end bolt holes the proper size and it fits the head like a freakin glove.
    Could you have started with rectangular port BBC header plates or would the bolt holes for the BBF not fit? Just thinking'.......

Leave a comment:

• BBR
    replied
    I will probably chamfer the inner edge at the top and bottom to help the transition from oval to round.

I couldn't stand it and went out and drilled the two end bolt holes the proper size and it fits the head like a freakin glove.
    Last edited by BBR; January 8, 2024, 01:04 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X