squirrel's 57 Suburban

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• squirrel's 57 Suburban

I guess I need to start a thread for this, since I'm working on it again after several years. My 1957 Suburban. I bought it in 1998 for a grand up in Globe AZ. At that time I did quite a bit of work on it, I subframed another frame with a 1972 Camaro clip, and I took the body apart and started sandblasting it. I did most of the lower part of the body, and the roof. Since then I've done some bodywork to it over the years, but it still has a ways to go to be done. I set it up to run a 454 and TH400, and it has a 9" ford rear from a late 50s wagon, modified with Chevy brakes and Moser axles. I also lowered it in back by using front leaf spring perches mounted under the frame, and set the axle on top of the springs.

Anyways, here are some things I've been doing on it recently. I had to fix the captive nuts for two of the door hinges, so I made a couple new plates to hold them and welded them on from the outside. I have to deal with the parking brake linkage, originally it was on the frame where the upper control arm is now, so I got a flexible cable from a later truck and I'm modifying the bracket to hold it by adding a piece from a 64 chevy truck. I'm also doing bodywork inside the truck, adding bondo to the widened wheel tubs, and fixing a few other areas that need to be filled. I'm going to see if I can get the inside primed this week, and start on the doors. I also need to put an engine together, since I swiped the 454 out of this truck to get the other 57 truck going. I have most of the parts to put another 454 together, but I need to get a pair of heads done. I'll probably use a pair of 70s oval port heads, and swipe the valves and stuff out of the peanut port heads off the 454 I was originally going to use in the other truck. I have the block bored and ready to go, rods and used .030 over pistons are ready, I have a reground crank, rings, timing set, and some other parts. I guess I need to order some stuff from Summit too.

I also have a freshly rebuilt Qjet....did that this morning.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by squirrel; July 9, 2014, 02:41 PM.
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Jim's Soccer Mom Assault Vehicle lives!!!
    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
      Jim's Soccer Mom Assault Vehicle lives!!!
      A JSMAV? sounds serious!!
      Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; November 22, 2011, 01:00 AM.
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

You guys should see the truck in person, it freakin' oozes with potential...
        If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Jim's entire property and fleet oooze with potential! Nice work as always Jim - I give you credit - I would never bother with bondo on top of the widened wheel wells! Weld, grind, Carpet or bedliner, done! ;-)
          There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Ah, yes. I saw one of these at a junkyard down here about a year ago. It wasn't in near as nice shape, and the parts they had on it, the junkyard priced them like they were minto. Might still be there for all I know. Let me know if you need anything, Jim, and I'll go give it a look.
            Formerly Shannon (aka: HillbillySailor). 2549 posts.

Comment

Even I'm amazed at how rust free that thing is.
              Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Looks like a Grand well spent. You DO have great stuff.

Dan

Comment

Very cool. My brother is picking up a 55 as a project next month, it's a pretty original and solid car from the west coast. I'll post some pics of that too when available.

cheers
                  Ed N.
                  Ed Nicholson - Caledon Ontario - a bit NW of Toronto
                  07 Mustang GT with some stuff
                  88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed

Comment

freaking sexy squirrel... bbc? no way, you? ;)

stretch the front doors 6'', add rear suicide doors, weld the rear doors together and you will end up with this

my 59 1T lwb (in 1977)
                    Last edited by ogre; November 22, 2011, 05:11 PM.
                    HRPT Long Hauler 2011, 2012, 2014

Comment

back in my ski patrol days, I had a choice between a 'burb and a van (to relax in during the day).... was the start of my love affair with the 'burbs. My boss (head of skier operations) had a 'burb of that vintage, but converted to 4x4 - I still think that's the toughest looking 4x in the world
                      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

The 4x4 suburbans are neat trucks, I built a 64 for a friend about 10 years ago. I thought about making mine into a 4x, but I've had a few 4x4s over the years, and never really use them. Anyways....I got a little bit done today. I really don't like doing bodywork. or paint. I fixed a few things on the lower door hinge pockets, including welding the fender mount back on, it was hanging by one spot weld when I took the truck apart. That whole side of the firewall/cowl/dash wasn't spot welded very well, it's like the guy doing it couldn't keep up or didn't know what he was doing. Interesting thing is my other 57 truck was made right before this one, like less than 300 serial numbers apart, and it has similar problems on that side, but not as bad. work on the wheel tubs is progressing. There's a LOT of sanding still to do on this thing, the interior is like painting the whole outside of a normal car. the outside of this thing is huge, like the outside of two or three normal cars.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by squirrel; July 9, 2014, 02:41 PM.
                        My fabulous web page

Comment

Jim - the inside of this thing is going to be all painted steel I'm assuming? What are you going to do with this truck?

It would be very difficult for me to avoid the temptation to have the majority of the interior done with spray in bedliner for utility, or -carpet if you're not going to "work" the truck as hard.

With the vastness of sheet metal work on this truck I certainly understand your procrastination over the years!
                          There's always something new to learn.

Comment

The rear floor is the original linoleum, the rest is metal. I despise bedliner crap, so that is not in the picture at all.

I might sell it when it's done. I procrastinated a decade or so too long....
                            My fabulous web page

Comment

A few pictures....I'm getting ready to work on the front sheet metal, first I need to fix the slightly out of position frame horns, then finish sandblasting and sanding body parts and put some primer on them. I also need to prime the doors and hinges, and put them on.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by squirrel; July 9, 2014, 02:40 PM.
                              My fabulous web page

Comment

Working...
                              X