1975 Plastic fantastic aka Corvette

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Beagle View Post
    Based on what I've found, the LS1 block is 106 pounds, the 6.0 is 216.. Just thinking over 100 pounds off the front end for aluminum. I know what 2.54 cubed is.
    I can tell you the LS3 all aluminum 427 is 550 lbs shipping weight. Our aluminum headed 540 bbc BluePrint's block is 615.
    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• Nice.
      I'm still learning

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
        I can tell you the LS3 all aluminum 427 is 550 lbs shipping weight. Our aluminum headed 540 bbc BluePrint's block is 615.
        65 lbs, for $3000 I can save unsprung weight on the wheels....
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
          they found 440 pounds of stuff to put on the block?

Somebody have a 454 block to weigh? I bet it's a helluva lot more than 105 pounds. I'm not making up the block weights, somebody else is.

I'm getting at or over 200 pounds for BBC block from numerous sources, 105 pounds for the LS2 block. The LSX block is supposed 225... no damn wonder they will tolerate a couple thousand hp.

I'm out of this thread - the only thing I was trying to do was ASK have you thought about a 6.2 aluminum L92/LS3, the Cadillacs used aluminum 6.2's and it would be lighter. Jeeeezus.

Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

• and again I'll say - it costs roughly $3000 less to build a BBC AND the weight difference is nominal

LS 427 - 12k
            http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHEVY-427-LS...386939&vxp=mtr

SBC 427 - $8700
            http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHEVY-TURN-K...8259bb&vxp=mtr

BBC 427 - $4500
            http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevy-427-49...41102482629%26

Cadillac 6.2 - $6500
            http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-11-12-13-...5325a6&vxp=mtr

of course, the 427 motors have about 200 more hp.... so why would I put a substantially lower hp motor in the car when it costs more money than the option I'm going with?
            Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; November 23, 2013, 06:14 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Beagle View Post
              they found 440 pounds of stuff to put on the block?

Somebody have a 454 block to weigh? I bet it's a helluva lot more than 105 pounds. I'm not making up the block weights, somebody else is.

I'm getting at or over 200 pounds for BBC block from numerous sources, 105 pounds for the LS2 block. The LSX block is supposed 225... no damn wonder they will tolerate a couple thousand hp.

I'm out of this thread - the only thing I was trying to do was ASK have you thought about a 6.2 aluminum L92/LS3, the Cadillacs used aluminum 6.2's and it would be lighter. Jeeeezus.

The forged BBC crank isn't exactly a feather weight. DG learned how much lighter the sbc 400 block without the rotating assembly in it.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• This one makes more torque at 2700 rpm than our LS 427 does at it's peak. Although, we will skip the mpg comparison. Just don't look at the picture. One of my work projects is getting new pics of all the engines. These are the two engines I was comparing the shipping weights.

http://www.blueprintengines.com/inde...-base-ps5401ct

http://www.blueprintengines.com/inde...es-psls4272ctf
                Last edited by Scott Liggett; November 23, 2013, 09:56 AM.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• Nice
                  Last edited by 91CCFirebird; November 23, 2013, 02:49 PM.
                  Hard Work Guarantees Nothing - Lack of it Does!

Drew Gerth - Newburgh, IN

Comment

• Originally posted by 91CCFirebird View Post
                    Nice
                    Minus the bumpers, maroon, and I'm blacking out that taillight panel.

Comment

• Originally posted by 91CCFirebird View Post
                      Nice

I like that a lot more than I thought I would!

...and those are some strong 5 gallon buckets!!! [/sarcasm]

Comment

• what's really amazing is how the car is so rigid that it can balance on two buckets

Comment

• I'm not really "feeling" that ground effects panel.....looks too much like masking paper to me.....
                          Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• That, with a BBC, would be a hoot.

Comment

• Originally posted by STINEY View Post
                              I'm not really "feeling" that ground effects panel.....looks too much like masking paper to me.....
                              they paid big bucks for that effect - it's the latest thing, where some cars look like the just came out of the shop, and others look like they need to go in - the latest, greatest show cars look like they're still in the shop.

Originally posted by Loren View Post
                              That, with a BBC, would be a hoot.
                              That's an LS powered car - but maybe you didn't get the memo - I overruled Beags and am going with a BBC 427
                              Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; November 24, 2013, 08:22 AM.

Comment

• You keep it up and the Healey trade will end up even....I won't even ask for any boot money. Now a big-block - this just gets better and better.
                                Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Working...
                                X