'80 Triumph Tr-7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by tardis454 View Post
    STINEY's used to driving cars with no heat.

My friend made a HVAC box for his VetteS10 when moved the firewall back.
    Didn't take much to make it, just a small box w/blower, heater core, & a flap door for the defrost..
    there are lots of over-the-road rigs that have excellent heater boxes that can be adapted to cars. Old school buses as well have good ones - all this knowledge comes from my affinity to soft-top FJ40s -those buggers are cold without the extra heater core
    Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; April 3, 2013, 09:44 AM.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Why would you need a defroster? You have no roof, the window won't frost over!! Heat is over rated also
      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
        there are lots of over-the-road rigs that have excellent heater boxes that can be adapted to cars. Old school buses as well have good ones - all this knowledge comes from my affinity to soft-top FJ40s -those buggers are cold without the extra heater core
        Hmmm.....bound to be one of those from a parted out Combine around here.....they used the same units. Good idea.

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
        Why would you need a defroster? You have no roof, the window won't frost over!! Heat is over rated also
        Good point! Just thinking ahead (always dangerous-similar to creep) to the day when this actually runs/drives, and maybe even gets a new convertible top. The one on there is less than rags, but the frame is in awesome condition and works great.
        Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
          Why would you need a defroster? You have no roof, the window won't frost over!! Heat is over rated also
          you just haven't lived until you've driven a t-top car in 30 degree weather with the heat on.... it works really well
          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• I did drive a '69 Firebird in 18*F weather with the interior 23*F. No window fogging problems
            Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

• You guys are SICK!

JC Whitney used to sell a self-contained heater with outlets for hoses to run to the defrosters and maybe they still do. It had a Ranco valve to control incoming water. A couple of hose connections and 12V for the blower and you were in business. I almost put one in my MGB but I found a new heater core for cheap so I went that way.

Dan

Comment

• Look in bread trucks, chip trucks and that family..Step vans.. They have WARM ones. Self contained too .

FJ 40's gotta have that heater in back between the seats... Even with a full top!

Comment

• Great news - the temps last night were in the teens, it was still 19* this morning.

So as soon as the boys were on the bus, van extraction commenced.

Note the (before fading) matching 2-place buggy trailer in the background - we used to be a large rolling chunk of YELLOW!

Custom interior pictures as promised.

Comment

• You best kiss your wife you know where for letting you drive her around in a Yellow van with THAT INTERIOR!

Comment

• Good Lord - you did work for a boat company in the 90's! is there a 90's boat carpet you don't have represented inside that van!

you my friend are not afraid to embrace color contrast - my oh my - you're wife truly is a saint! We need to get our wives together - that would do my wife and I some good! LOL!

So - are you going to extract the 350/350 with the bobcat too?
                      There's always something new to learn.

Comment

• Originally posted by tardis454 View Post
                        You best kiss your wife you know where for letting you drive her around in a Yellow van with THAT INTERIOR!
                        She actually drove it herself to work a few times, and to softball games. Caught a lot of Cheech-n-Chong comments from the softball crowd.

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
                        Good Lord - you did work for a boat company in the 90's! is there a 90's boat carpet you don't have represented inside that van!

you my friend are not afraid to embrace color contrast - my oh my - you're wife truly is a saint! We need to get our wives together - that would do my wife and I some good! LOL!

So - are you going to extract the 350/350 with the bobcat too?
                        I figured it would look worse if I actually tried to match it, so I went completely random instead. Maybe logical thought led me astray on that one?

My wife is a hoot to be around, no doubt about it. Just don't ask where the Rum went....

Nah, no skidsteer engine removal demonstration. It makes me nervous hopping in and out with the bucket raised, hydraulic failure could result in an instant bad day. I'll just roll it in the shop barn and use the cherry picker and pluck it out the front, same way it went in.

Comment

• So you have to pull the front of the truck apart and slide it out the front?

Hm - my wife is a cap'n girl too - that seals it - we must get the families together - that will help both our wives to realize you and I are in fact not one of kind - but one of several - a rare and very valuable strain of the species... LOL!

I've never been a van guy - always looked at those tight engine compartments and though "pick up truck please"

Comment

• Yep, the core support center/top section unbolts (along with a lower piece and the latch support) leaving a nice big hole in the front. Hood doesn't even have to come off. I used stainless bolts when I put it together so it should come apart easily.

Will take lots of Rum to convince that we aren't one-of-a-kind.......I'm game! Rare and valuable - I may try that one someday.

I like to view vans as trucks with 14' enclosed beds, optional seating for 12, and the weight distribution of a Maserati. Yellow one was 48/52.

Took some pictures of the offending door latch. I have news for you DOOR, you WILL open. Just a matter of WHEN.

Comment

• Rear shelf. Top mechanism unbolted, rear legs of cage landed here.

Comment

• have I mentioned I hate working on the insides of doors?

ugh

Vans and trucks both have merit - modern trucks are no picnic to work on - at least a van you can take the doghouse off - but the lack of leg room has always bugged me, and the fact that you can't fill the back end with dirt/mulch/gravel - yes - that's what the trailer is for.

Comment

Working...
                                X