No announcement yet.

Turbo-4 '89 Mustang roadrace coupe.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thrashed on the TW Miata last night until late, some how the alignment got really f'd up. Had an inch of toe!! Got that all fixed, and set the car up for its inspecton this morning. Geoff got the inspection done this morning, so we'll saddle up this evening and head up to Thunderhill.

Looks like Scott took care of the Knott's pictures.
    I'm still learning

Comment

• With some help from Bangshift member OJ, we're going to hopefully put our oiling woes behind us. We've decided to try and fit a belt-driven wet-sump oil pump to the beast. The engine is already out, and now is the time to give it a try. Under the class rules, this is the ultimate solution.

Enough of trying to shoestring and bubble gum this problem. Even with the cryo-treated shaft and dizzy gear, I was pretty sure we were only band-aiding a problem that was going to nick us again and again. I'll get some pics of the fitting process.

Bob
      I'm still learning

Comment

• I hope to see this thing whoop up some horsepower real soon!
        Dustin in Pennsylvania

Comment

• I'm half inclined to change classes and just let'r eat. Having to detune this thing to fit in the class has been...well...weird. And a pain in the ass.
          I'm still learning

Comment

• I concer, up a class and unleash the beast!

Class AIX?

I imagine doing that could push a rules change somewhere else though.

It's just a Pinto motor for gods sake, what are they afraid of ? (insert maniacal laugh)
            Jeremy George in Windsor NY

Comment

• AIX is OUT OF CONTROL! pushing 1,000 horsepower with turbo'd V8s. I could probably clean up here in California, but get waxed at Natl's. My advantage, again, would be a no minimum weight. The car would be better through the corners, but the straights would be hell.

Nevertheless, I'm thinking.

Bob
              I'm still learning

Comment

• I'd say go for it. Crank up the boost, put decent suspension under it (especially the rear so you can actually hook up) and go have fun. It isn't whether you win or lose, it's how many people's noses you can tweak in the process. :P

Comment

• Well, I've had the rulebook rewritten on me a couple of times. And they were quite up front on the fact that they were doing it because of the car. Last time around I had to negotiate a minimum weight.

The car has a three link rear with a panhard bar, the front is a fully independent double a-arm. It hooks up fine. The chassis is in great shape and works well.

The reliability of the engine, on the other hand, is a different story.
                  I'm still learning

Comment

• I just glanced at the American Iron Extreme rules since you're screwed and stuck with the pinto oiling, ever thought about going zetec, or maybe a duratec 4 or v6? Of course you're probably running into cubic dollars then...if you're gonna do that maybe you could get a salvaged ecoboost from an f150 soon and get dieselgeek to help you sort it out.
                    Last edited by hauen; June 30, 2011, 01:38 PM.

Comment

• I have a silly question, do you use an accusump on this car? from what I've read it's a good assist to the weakness of wet-sump oiling systems.
                      The Roadrace Gremlin I bought has one, and I'm just getting my head around how it all works. I'm just curious if you use one why it hasn't helped your issues enough. I'm going back to review the scenario too. Trying to learn about oil control in road racing environments on non-standard wet sump engines. (e.g. Not a small block Chevy or Ford)
                      Last edited by mike343sharpstick; June 30, 2011, 01:44 PM.

Comment

• Thanks for all the thought and ideas guys.

Hauen: You're absolutely correct. We picked the wrong engine, for all the right reasons. Unfortunately we didn't figure that out until we owned 5 of them. Its not that the engine can't make the horsepower, it does it in excess. The problem is currently the oiling system, well and the economy putting my wallet in the toilet. Unfortunately when we started, the old saw "fast, reliable or cheap, pick two" wasn't an issue, now "cheap" is part of the equation. With the wet sump external pump, we hope to fix the problem once and for all. We have yet to make it through a 20 minute test session without an engine issue.

If not, we have our eye on the new Ford 3.7 liter V6. No doubt, even if we fix our little turbo beast, we will be playing with the engine in the future. We figure that we could easily lose 300 lbs off the front of the car if we change, given that the turbo 4 weighs 425+ dressed plus the oversized radiator, plus the intercooler, plus all the piping and on and on. Would we turbo it, it'd be fun, but probably unnecessary. Plus you have to add in all the weighty things that I just mentioned.

Mike: We do run a 3 quart accusump. Its great insurance and a great way to pre-oil at start up. I wouldn't roadrace without one, if I'm forced to run a wet-sump.
                        Last edited by Bob Holmes; June 30, 2011, 04:05 PM. Reason: sigh, not my day for spelling
                        I'm still learning

Comment

• for those of you wonder where I got my idea for the 3.6 liter spider ^^^^^
                          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Well guys, even though I'm laid up, our plans continue forward. Geoff pulled the BB out of mothballs and its now over at his place, I'll get some pics this weekend. Right now we're still going to try to get it on track this year, just Geoff or my buddy Roger will drive. At least a couple of test days in preparation for a real racing season next year. Brian, how's your comp license??

I want to really thank OJ for helping us out with our oiling issue, we should have a method of mounting the external oil pump in the next week or so.

Man the car looks great, just pisses me off that I won't be the guy driving it.
                            I'm still learning

Comment

• Racing in 2012 or its for sale...(we've been here before!)

We'e slowly getting this show back on the road.

The car went back to the fabricator to have the rear wing professionally installed. No more fly away at the end of the straights for us. Mike Tolle (fab guy extraordinaire) told me "you'll have to knock the back of the car off to get it off this time." "you giving me a goal, Mike?" was my retort.

We spent some time last weekend figuring out how to plumb up the external oil pump. We need to make sure that we back feed some oil through the former internal pump galleries in order to properly oil the cam synch. Not a big issue, but thankfully we figured it out now instead of when something else broke.

And...we picked up an entire 2011 Mustang V6 drivetrain for a song. So we'll get a chance to start sizing that up, either putting it into another track Miata (can you say 300hp and less weight than a stock 1.8!) or eventually putting it into the BB if we toast another pinto motor.

Stay tuned for another season of "As the Mustang blows!"
                              I'm still learning

Comment

• I know that story (about less weight and 3x the hp) - it's a really good song I hope you put it in a miata - the 6 cyl mustang motor was one of the choices... and from what I saw, a pretty good idea.
                                Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; October 13, 2011, 11:20 PM.
                                Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Working...
                                X