Scott's 1967 GMC 1500 pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
    my old trucks seem to do ok with Quadrajets. The only common problem seems to be the cranking required to get fuel back in the bowl after it sits a couple days. This new gas sure evaporates well.

My Edelbrock does the same thing. Hit it with a squirt of starting fluid on the way to work yesterday morning. I think it has to do how low the gas gets. It was down to 1/4 tank.
    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Jim, you were right. This truck was originally a six banger. I found a couple 68's at the junkyard with V8's and the four speed. They sit nearly 6 inches farther forward. The shifter comes out of the floor practically under the heater.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

thanks for letting me know I"m not crazy
        My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Scott, those original heater controls were cast pot metal. Replacements are all stamped steel, and much better. The kit I got was from one of the truck suppliers, but can't remember which? About $20-$25, and a quick, easy to install kit.

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
            my old trucks seem to do ok with Quadrajets. The only common problem seems to be the cranking required to get fuel back in the bowl after it sits a couple days. This new gas sure evaporates well.
            Huh?... So THAT's why!.. My carb runs well..except that few day sit! Glad it isn't the carb

Comment

Ya know Scott,for what that throttle body is going to cost....you just might as well pick up (no pun intended) a complete 5.3 LS from a late model truck. They're so many of them they're practically giving them away. *G*
              Tom
              Overdrive is overrated

Comment

The engines are cheap. Getting the parts necessary to get it into the truck and getting it running are not.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

^ That is so true! My buddy got a 5.3/4L65 for his 52 bel air. 40k on them for 700 bucks! Then he spend nearly 3x that in parts to adapt it.
                  Local person
                  sigpic

Comment

The truck took it's first short road trip to Grand Island and back, about 45 miles each way. Performed flawlessly, truck even tracks arrow straight with two different brands of tires on the front. I took the two lane there and back doing about 60 mph. Used less than a 1/4 tank of gas.

I also replaced the fuel pump. Note to self: Do this with an empty gas tank, not one you just filled to the brim. Gravity fought me changing the rubber lines too. It also pushed fuel all the way up to the carb before the truck was started. More than once had gasoline running down my arm into the armpit. I hate that.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
                      The engines are cheap. Getting the parts necessary to get it into the truck and getting it running are not.
                      Matt Cramer just did one, I didn't think he spent all that much... kind of not really the point though, it's already got an SBC in it! For the cost of a computer to drive a 4L60e, you can outrun it.

They make needle nose vise grips, grab the line coming out of the tank?

Just curious but most of the old stuff I drove wasn't real happy above 60 or so, how's the old girl feel?
                      Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

• I think we're still waiting to hear what the rearend ratio is. If it's a Dana 44 rear (it will say 44 on the center cast housing somewhere), then you can get 3.08 gears for it pretty easily. That's what ratio I'm running in my 57 suburban, works fine on the highway with no overdrive with a 350 engine.
                        Last edited by squirrel; August 10, 2014, 08:27 AM.
                        My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

• Scott I was just busting your balls and stirring the pot with the LS comment. Yeah, the engine would be the cheap part but the rest wouldn't
                          Tom
                          Overdrive is overrated

Comment

• Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                            I think we're still waiting to hear what the rearend ratio is. If it's a Dana 44 rear (it will say 44 on the center cast housing somewhere), then you can get 3.08 gears for it pretty easily. That's what ratio I'm running in my 57 suburban, works fine on the highway with no overdrive with a 350 engine.
                            The 84 has 3.08's and no OD, and they are ok... well, they were with the 305 engine and the 29" tall 255/70/15 tires. At 75 - 80 mph on the highway, it got its best mileage as that engine combo was happy at 2800 rpm apparently. I put the 31x10.50's on it and it's now a fuel glutton and a pig. With a good running 350 (coming soon), and 3.08 gears it should be much happier with the taller tires. ...and I still think about installing an OD trans. With a 0.7:1 OD, 4.10 gears would greatly help around town trailer driving and make it peppy when not trailering, yet still provide a 2.87:1 final drive ratio... but enough about mine.

Scott will undoubtedly learn his truck inside and out in no time, and decide what gear he likes for the rear ... after he selects a new tire size (if changing).

All this speculation and discussion is (on my part at least) just me living vicariously through your new project. I know you'll keep us posted, and I apologize for being a little impatient.

Comment

• Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                              I've had a pickup since I started driving, now we have 3.
                              Just wait till you try the family six pack!... OK... one is an Avalanche... but it does "Truck Duty" as well...
                              Patrick & Tammy
                              - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
                                Jim, you were right. This truck was originally a six banger. I found a couple 68's at the junkyard with V8's and the four speed. They sit nearly 6 inches farther forward. The shifter comes out of the floor practically under the heater.
                                six inches of setback will help with the weight transfer... done that way quite often to avoid paying for a new or different driveshaft... as for the winter weight, we used to make sure the bed was clean of debris that would plug drain holes, and shovel clean snow (NO SALT) into the bed... when it warms up, the snow melts. and you don't have to store sand...
                                Patrick & Tammy
                                - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Working...
                                X